Legend/ExoticWest Carribean review 10/31/06

Whitetail

Sailed 10/31/06-11/08/06

Embarkation

Arrived around 2pm at Port after a long day/night of traveling. No long lines and everything went very smooth. We were on the ship in no time(half hour at the most).

Cabin

We were in 4231, adjoining balcony with my parents 4229. Cabins were nice, the new comfort beds & bedding are fabulous. Our room steward was not like any we ever had before in a not friendly sort of way. He never spoke to us and rarely looked at us in the hall, and annoyingly knocking on our door beginning at 6:30pm every night to turn down the beds when he knew that we went to dinner every single night at 8pm. If we didn't leave, he would be knocking on the door again at 7pm. We have never experienced this on any cruise, some cruises we never even seen the room steward. Finally on the last morning, there he was knocking on our door at 6:30 am, we didn't even have to leave the room until 9am! My parents who were in the room next to us, never received one knock on the door, apparently the guy had something against us. On day 8, he smiled when he met us in the hall and said "good morning" hmmmm...looking for a tip maybe?

The Ship

She is a rocker! Long & narrow means you really feel the ocean on this ship, not so bad along the coast of Cuba but when you get out to sea, hold on.

The Crew

Just not friendly, again something we've never experienced before, part of the cruising experience is being treated well, and we just felt like we were bothering bartenders for drinks. The crew seemed burned out. Deck 9 was always hard to find a table to eat, not because they were full but because they were dirty, inside and outside, it was like their were no busboys on duty ever. Our dining crew however "fabulous" we wish we could bring them home to our restaurant. Zsolt, Pindaley, & Rivere, we love you guys, you were the highlight of our ship experience!

If we met our dining crew in other area's of the ship they always took a moment to chat with us, shake hands and on the last day we were getting hugs!

The Captain was very friendly, down to earth guy you see walking about the ship often.

Misc incidents

One excursion morning we ordered breakfast to the room as we had to leave early, it never came and we ran to our excursion chewing on dry toast from deck 9.

No pens in the room, Day 3 people must started to complain as they brought us a pen, ours worked for 1 day and my parents had to borrow one from the room steward who later took it back. We requested our adjoining balconies be opened up, finally done on day 3. My parents never received comment cards the last night on ship, so no chance for them to win the free cruise, but the steward had taken his pen back anyway.

Dining

We ate in Truffles everynight, table 141, the tv menu did not match the menu in the dining room as it was the first week of the new menu. We often had chosen choices from the tv that were deleted and did not care for the replacements. The food was good, not great, just good. The soups were all very good, Baked Alaska great, Lobster & Crab Legs very good. The Salmon the last night was wonderful. The first nights dessert was inedible. Nothing stands out other than what I mentioned.

Buffets: Were good, really enjoyed the Caribbean buffet, 24 hour Pizza was the best pizza we ever had. Panini sandwiches looked great but wasn't in the sandwich mood. Burgers smelt wonderful but were dry. Again, the buffet soups were all great. The Grand Gala Buffet at midnight was rather unimpressive.

Entertainment

First nights comedian was okay, Hypnotist was funny, Guest talent show only had one contestant, then the cruise director filled up the remainder of the hour with stupid jokes. The Belize night, the guest show did not make the ship, so again stupid jokes by the cruise director. The adult comedian was real good but you had to stay up until midnight to see him. The final night was guest impersonators, very good entertainment.

Satchimows Lounge had a Mexican band that played pop music, we wish we had found them earlier in the cruise. A lone guitar player, played in various areas before dinner, he kind of grew on us, Paul T. Piano & Cello players were all good, especially while waiting for dinner.

Karaoke bar was pathetic, nobody was signed up to sing so my son & husband were going to sing Johny Cash, but after calling them to the stage they refused to let my 13 yr old sing, audience was yelling "let him sing" but the snobby host refused, and people left. Later my Mom signed up to sing but the host enjoyed his own singing the most.

Excursions

Panama-We did the Gatun Locks & Portobelo city as the 2 hour ride to the canal was unappealing to us. The excursion was enjoyable but beware, the bus trip is still 45 minutes to Portobelo, no restrooms on bus and when we got there, we went to a museum with disgusting restooms that did not flush and there were no soap or paper towels available. We walked around and looked at church's, the tour guide gave us water before getting back on the bus and the next restroom oppurtunity was at the Locks, and of course, the toilets were spilling over on to the floor, but they did have a bar of soap. No other restrooms were available on the 5 1/2 hour tour. Gatun Locks were very interesting and we got to see a ship go through up close. Nice shopping at Pier, very cheap.

Costa Rica-We went with Charlie Soto of Okeydokeytours.com, it was fabulous, awesome, the highlight of our trip, read about him on the costa rica thread. Did not have time to shop other than get coffee & vanilla at local grocery store.

Belize-we did the Beach Break, if you like to do nothing on the beach this is perfect. I loved it but the family was not thrilled. Verly little to do, you get 1 rum punch. The food was ordinary hot dogs & chicken strips, $5 hot dog, $10 chicken strips. Alcohol drinks were $7. Very little shopping and exaggerated prices. We did have time to tender to port, fun to see but garage sale type shopping, could barely find a souvenior worth buying.

Disembark-No issues, our plane did not leave until 4:30 pm so we had all the time in the world anyway. Seemed to be running very smooth.

All in all, 3 stars out of 5. If it had been my first cruise probably wouldn't of noticed the fair service.

Archived