Jewel, first time with child, pre-cruise

Hi, all. Just joined as a CC member after using this as a resource for previous cruises. Hopefully, I can help others as they've helped me in the past.

Couple of questions: First, my wife and I are cruising with our soon-to-be 9 year old son on the Jewel of the Seas (6 night) in two weeks. It's his first cruise (I've been on 8, wife has been on 11), so we're no strangers to cruising. We know about the Ocean Adventure program, and he's looking forward to participating in that. But are there any other tips you'd have? He's an out-going kid and is looking forward to the cruise, has heard us talk about cruises, and asks LOTS of questions (as any 9 year old will do).

Second, we fly into Fort Lauderdale the day beforehand, and are staying at the Bahia Mar. Has anyone stayed here, and is there anything you'd recommend we do or see? Our flight arrives about 11:30am Saturday (ship departs Sunday).

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the boards!

We will be on the jewel the week before you.

One of our favorite things to do in Ft Lauderdale is the water taxi. I think it leaves from your hotel. They have a website I think it's watertaxi.com or similar. On the web it has schedules and prices, it goes all around the intercoastal waterway and makes stops along the way. One stop is in Las Olas where there are shops and restaurants. It's really fun to see the huge mansions and the yachts. We've done this with our kids starting from a young age and they've always liked it.

Hi, all. Just joined as a CC member after using this as a resource for previous cruises. Hopefully, I can help others as they've helped me in the past.

Couple of questions: First, my wife and I are cruising with our soon-to-be 9 year old son on the Jewel of the Seas (6 night) in two weeks. It's his first cruise (I've been on 8, wife has been on 11), so we're no strangers to cruising. We know about the Ocean Adventure program, and he's looking forward to participating in that. But are there any other tips you'd have? He's an out-going kid and is looking forward to the cruise, has heard us talk about cruises, and asks LOTS of questions (as any 9 year old will do).

Second, we fly into Fort Lauderdale the day beforehand, and are staying at the Bahia Mar. Has anyone stayed here, and is there anything you'd recommend we do or see? Our flight arrives about 11:30am Saturday (ship departs Sunday).

Thanks in advance!

Please let us know what you thought of the Bahia Mar when you return. We will be staying there prior to our Radiance cruise in December.

Archived