Microdermabrasion

Lil Dutch Girl

Anyone have experience with those home microdermabrasion systems? I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I commit to spending $$$$ on something that doesn't work. If you've used one and liked (or loathed) it, please list the name and ballpark pricing.

Thanks in advance!

Just be careful and be gentle with your skin. Don't exfolitae before a big event and when you do try it out for the first time, do it when you can stay home for the day.

I don't use it because my skin is too sensitive, but I have my daughter using a kit once a week or so. She's in her teens and has frequent breakouts. Her skin is red for a few hours afterward and sensitive for a day or so.

We've just recently purchased a masque type of exfoliation that our esthetician has advised to use. She told us that any infection from breakouts can spread via dermabrasion (the sponge, not the actual dermabrasion) and this is a better method (for her). We'll see later this week.

I don't know if you're looking for an OTC product, but there is a website that I find to be helpful when shopping for a new cosmetic. It is called makeupalley.com. It is much like epinions, just reviews of what others thought of a particular product. You cannot buy things from this site. By reading the reviews of others I have found the shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, lipsticks, etc... that are right for me.

I have seen them do that on that show "10 Years Younger" anmd the poor woman's face was peeling and looked horrible-but it did later look great and got rid of her acne scars.

so I would say make sure you have nothing special coming up for around a week to 10 days to give your face a chance to peel off all the dead skin, but I do think for someone with bad acne scars this is a good thing- after a lifetime of scared skin-most can put up with a few days of "ugly" I would think.

Go to www.drugstore.com and do a search for it. Once there, you can look at tons of user reviews. I did this before I bought mine. I don't recommend that you simply take a recommendation from any one person because different ones are better for different skin conditions. For example, I ended up buying the Neurtrogena one, which I like, however, that doesn't mean it's the right one for you. So why take a recommendation from me as we might have different needs?

The reviews on drugstore.com get fairly detailed about application, results, effects, etc.

I've never heard of makeupalley.com before, but that site might also be very helpful. (thanks klc39lc, i'll check it out!)

I have seen them do that on that show "10 Years Younger" anmd the poor woman's face was peeling and looked horrible-but it did later look great and got rid of her acne scars.

so I would say make sure you have nothing special coming up for around a week to 10 days to give your face a chance to peel off all the dead skin, but I do think for someone with bad acne scars this is a good thing- after a lifetime of scared skin-most can put up with a few days of "ugly" I would think.

Momofmeg,

That would be a chemical peel done by a professional. It's medical strength. That strong a product is not sold for home use.

Though I agree with you that for people with acne scars, it works miracles and worth a few days of "ugly".

Basically it is a scrub w/ the same chemicals that dermos use, just in much smaller amounts.

I use it every Saturday, except in summer if I was going to be in sun that day.

I feel it gives me a much smoother surface.

Never have had reaction...nice thing w/ drugstore strength is that if you react to it, you KNOW shouldn't do prescription strength.

I don't feel that I have sensitive skin, but have been known to get windburn on my face after a day of skiing.

Only about a $20 investment, too.

Kristin

Thanks to all of the posters and their great advise. KLCT39lg, I LIVE on makeupalley.com. I don't buy any cosmetic unless I've checked it out there first. The best micro they have listed as far as percentage of users who would re-purchase is Mary Kay (woohoo and CruiserinCarlsbad's pick).

Just to clarify (no pun intended), I'm not looking to fade old acne scars as I have what would be called 'mature' skin. I'm interested in the best product for exfoliation and diminishing the lines and wrinkles I have around my eyes and mouth. I know that these products are not going to make me look thirty years old again, but I'd like to look the best I can for my age. Perhaps microdermabrasion is not what I'm looking for. I'd be happy to hear about any other options to deal with these beauty issues.

Sherry

Momofmeg,

That would be a chemical peel done by a professional. It's medical strength. That strong a product is not sold for home use.

Though I agree with you that for people with acne scars, it works miracles and worth a few days of "ugly".

I did not know she meant a home kit. Those I have seen for anywhere from $20 up- depending on the brand. If I was concerned about expense-I would just try out one of the least expensive ones. If it worked "decent"-then I may would try a more expensive one to see if tha tworked better.

I still have pretty good skin-so I have never felt the need to to try one out-YET..... but time keeps marching on so I expect the day will come..

Archived