Family Suite or Individual cabins?

MeganMamaw

There are 3 sibling couples going on the Princess Sapphire next August, first timers. We have been researching cabins and decks to reserve. My BIL said to ask about the family suite so we could all stay together. Is this doable? Also which deck has the partially covered decks and obstructed view? This has been the hardest decision to make!

MeganMamaw

I have stayed in the family suite on the Star Princess and I believe it is the same on the Sapphire. I would not recommend it for three couples as there would be a definite lack of privacy and it it also very expensive (we were sailing with our two kids and were upgraded, so it was great for us). It is essentially a minisuite and an inside cabin that are connected by a living room area. The minisuite side has two twins (or a queen bed) and is open to the living room area. There is absolutely no divider of any kind. The inside cabin has two lower beds that cannot be made into a queen with two upper bunks above them. The doorway from the closet/bathroom/entrance to the cabin proper is between the beds, so they can't be made into a queen. There are two sofa beds in the living room area for the last two beds, but as I said there is no privacy between that area and the minisuite sleeping area. As far as price goes, you pay the full fare for the first four people in the cabin and this cabin is priced as a suite, with the accompanying high prices. It would probably be better to book three balcony cabins in a row and have the cabin steward open the doors in the dividers between the balconies. That way you could travel between rooms without going out into the hall. As far as covered vs. uncovered balconies go, the minisuites on the Dolphin deck are uncovered. The minisuites on Emerald deck are fully covered. The balcony cabins on Caribe have the largest balconies (even larger than the minisuite balconies) and are half covered and half open. They can easily seat 6 people. The balconies on Baja and Aloha deck are smaller than the caribe or dolphin deck balconies and are fully covered. If you are concerned about a lack of privacy on the uncovered balconies, just remember that if you can look down at those on the uncovered balconies, they can also look up at you! Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

since you stayed in family suite, I was wondering since it is as expensive as a suite and is stated as a suite (family)... does it include all the same perks of a suite. Did you get special amenities, or special room service menus, special bedding etc.. I read an article on the suites get sweeter on the princess website and was wondering if the family suite recieves the same treatment.. and is it really worth the price?

• 2 weeks later...
since you stayed in family suite, I was wondering since it is as expensive as a suite and is stated as a suite (family)... does it include all the same perks of a suite. Did you get special amenities, or special room service menus, special bedding etc.. I read an article on the suites get sweeter on the princess website and was wondering if the family suite recieves the same treatment.. and is it really worth the price?

You do get the full suite amenities with the family suite... priority tendering, free laundry, in room dining menu, internet allowance etc...

I was checking the rate on one the other day for a 7 day Canada/New England - it was 2400.00 per person for the first 4 people and then a reduced rate for extra people. For a lower price I could book a full aft suite and the balcony room next to it - open up the balcony divider to connect the 2. The bathroom in the full suite is luxurious with separate shower/jacuzzi tub - the family suite just has the regular mini suite tub/shower combo.

You do get the full suite amenities with the family suite... priority tendering, free laundry, in room dining menu, internet allowance etc...

I was checking the rate on one the other day for a 7 day Canada/New England - it was 2400.00 per person for the first 4 people and then a reduced rate for extra people. For a lower price I could book a full aft suite and the balcony room next to it - open up the balcony divider to connect the 2. The bathroom in the full suite is luxurious with separate shower/jacuzzi tub - the family suite just has the regular mini suite tub/shower combo.

We just did the exact same thing for a MED cruise on the Emerald Princess...it was considerably less expensive to book the aft Vista suite on the dolphin deck as well as the aft balcony cabin next door...plus, these cabins have sheltered, fully covered balconies...I have seen several posts that mentioned problems with wind on the forward family suite balconies.

Archived