Carnival Liberty 11/19: Changed to 4 Day Cruise

OceanTrvlr

I am new to the boards and I had to share this news and get advice.

My sister is booked on the Liberty sailing on Sunday 11/19. She just received a message that her cruise has been changed to a 4 day cruise due to the gastrointestinal illness that broke out on the transatlantic cruise. They are taking the two days to sanitize the ship.

She was so upset but the good news is they are giving her a 50% refund plus 50% off her next cruise. She lives in Virginia so they are also giving her a $200 per person allowance to either change her flights or book a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for the two days. She can also cancel and get a full refund.

She's trying to decide what to do. She doesn't know if she wants to sail on a ship that had such a bad out break. What would you do?

Thanks for your help!

I am new to the boards and I had to share this news and get advice.

My sister is booked on the Liberty sailing on Sunday 11/19. She just received a message that her cruise has been changed to a 4 day cruise due to the gastrointestinal illness that broke out on the transatlantic cruise. They are taking the two days to sanitize the ship.

She was so upset but the good news is they are giving her a 50% refund plus 50% off her next cruise. She lives in Virginia so they are also giving her a $200 per person allowance to either change her flights or book a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for the two days. She can also cancel and get a full refund.

She's trying to decide what to do. She doesn't know if she wants to sail on a ship that had such a bad out break. What would you do?

Thanks for your help!

Here is what I would do - I would not change my flights and I would stay in FLL for 2 days (it is beautiful there). Take the 4 day cruise @50% and book another at 50%. This is a great deal that CCL is giving and I would jump on it. Just MHO.

Here is what I would do - I would not change my flights and I would stay in FLL for 2 days (it is beautiful there). Take the 4 day cruise @50% and book another at 50%. This is a great deal that CCL is giving and I would jump on it. Just MHO.
I second that! Sounds like a great deal!

Darn it! Sorry, double post!

completely. I told her to come on down! I live near FLL and this is a great opportunity for her to visit with me too. :D

Perfect answer :)

completely. I told her to come on down! I live near FLL and this is a great opportunity for her to visit with me too. :D

If you live near FLL you will probably get the opportunity to jump on that ship with her at a really reduced rate. Especially if people start canceling their cruise. That happened to the Celebration in Sept and they were selling the cabins @ $99 pp. I couldn't go - but if I coulda I woulda!!:D

In a HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great advice! Plus the ship is going to be as clean as it ever gets!

If you live near FLL you will probably get the opportunity to jump on that ship with her at a really reduced rate. Especially if people start canceling their cruise. That happened to the Celebration in Sept and they were selling the cabins @ $99 pp. I couldn't go - but if I coulda I woulda!!:D

Even if I wanted to I couldn't. I've been on 2 cruises this year and have no more vacation time left :( My boss would never go for it!

I talked to my sister and convinced her to still go on the cruise and to book a hotel. Carnival will reimburse them $200 per person! She might book the Marriot Harbour Beach Resort & Spa for 2 days! :eek:

Even if I wanted to I couldn't. I've been on 2 cruises this year and have no more vacation time left :( My boss would never go for it!

I talked to my sister and convinced her to still go on the cruise and to book a hotel. Carnival will reimburse them $200 per person! She might book the Marriot Harbour Beach Resort & Spa for 2 days! :eek:

I have the same problem - so many cruises - so little vacation time!!:rolleyes:

Great deal on the hotel. I think she is smart to make lemonade out of lemons!!

I am still waiting to hear back from my agent about the specifics of Carnival's offer. I want to I am considering trying to have them place us on another sailing during this same week. I know the Victory and Valor are also sailing out of MIA or Fll this week. I can see this will be tough as it is a holiday week.

My agent just said all other sailings are sold out! Perhaps they can refund our air and place us on a Christmas or New Years sailing. My agent is telling me they will not speak directly with the passengers, but he is trying to get me a contact, an=s he is running interference for them and since I booked on line it is not as if we really hsave any relationship. I am deeply concerned about the health of the crew. If it is Norwalk virus, the passengers may be leaving but the crew will remain on board and may be able to continue infecting the passengers.

Hi All,

I was just reading your posts about the Liberty having to cut the cruise short. I am sailing on the cruise of the 25th. For anyone that has not been to Ft. Lauderdale or if you are "on the fence" about staying in Ft. Lauderdale those two days, check out this link: http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

The last time we were in Ft. Lauderdale we thought the only thing to do would to be to wait at the hotel for the ship to leave. Then an acquaintance recommended the water taxi. We decided to go and we had a great time! The water taxi has many stops and is very reasonable in price. The pilots of the taxi are the best tour guides and the houses along the canals are beautiful and owned by some of the most affluent people in the world. A nice place to visit is Las Olas Boulevard (the water taxi has a stop there) - many nice little shops and restaurants.

I hope this helps.

I am still waiting to hear back from my agent about the specifics of Carnival's offer. I want to I am considering trying to have them place us on another sailing during this same week. I know the Victory and Valor are also sailing out of MIA or Fll this week. I can see this will be tough as it is a holiday week.

My agent just said all other sailings are sold out! Perhaps they can refund our air and place us on a Christmas or New Years sailing. My agent is telling me they will not speak directly with the passengers, but he is trying to get me a contact, an=s he is running interference for them and since I booked on line it is not as if we really hsave any relationship. I am deeply concerned about the health of the crew. If it is Norwalk virus, the passengers may be leaving but the crew will remain on board and may be able to continue infecting the passengers.

Good luck! I agree, I think if the crew was infected.....you have a pretty good chance of being infected. Room stewards cleaning your room, waiters serving the food, bartenders....well you know what I mean. I believe that I would come in contact more with the crew then the passengers.

the offer is awsome, but the offer is the offer - you can't switch to another ship - no matter who your TA/ccl direct agent is...

but it is an AWESOME OFFER - wish i could go - all other sailings are sold out that week too

oceantvlr - tell her to go for it! and call me for drinks!

Good luck! I agree, I think if the crew was infected.....you have a pretty good chance of being infected. Room stewards cleaning your room, waiters serving the food, bartenders....well you know what I mean. I believe that I would come in contact more with the crew then the passengers.

I'm pretty sure that if crew members are still sick when they get back to FLL Carnival will not have them working the next cruise. It wouldn't make any sense to sanitize the ship only to contaminate it again.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Even if I wanted to I couldn't. I've been on 2 cruises this year and have no more vacation time left :( My boss would never go for it! :eek:

Call in sick. Tell your boss you have a stomach bug!!!:eek: :eek:

I'm pretty sure that if crew members are still sick when they get back to FLL Carnival will not have them working the next cruise. It wouldn't make any sense to sanitize the ship only to contaminate it again.

that ship is going to be cleaner than when it got here last november! yeah they will put the crew out on furlow - there is no way CCL will risk another outbreak

Hi All,

I was just reading your posts about the Liberty having to cut the cruise short. I am sailing on the cruise of the 25th. For anyone that has not been to Ft. Lauderdale or if you are "on the fence" about staying in Ft. Lauderdale those two days, check out this link: http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

The last time we were in Ft. Lauderdale we thought the only thing to do would to be to wait at the hotel for the ship to leave. Then an acquaintance recommended the water taxi. We decided to go and we had a great time! The water taxi has many stops and is very reasonable in price. The pilots of the taxi are the best tour guides and the houses along the canals are beautiful and owned by some of the most affluent people in the world. A nice place to visit is Las Olas Boulevard (the water taxi has a stop there) - many nice little shops and restaurants.

I hope this helps.

Thank you!! Why not stay in FLL for two days on Carnival's dollar? And with the 50% refund...that's more Funship secials to enjoy!! :p

Archived