GODFREY TOUR: St. Thomas

herb

Since we've been to St. Thomas a few times and have done the gold and liquor buying sprees we thought it might be fun to SEE St. Thomas on our upcoming cruise :)

I've heard mention of a private tour operator named Godfrey. I did check out his website but I'm interested in finding out just how good his tour was and most important how REPUTABLE he is ... or whether we should just hook up with a ship sponsored tour.

Thanks for your opinions...

P.S. (Through these message boards we heard about Peat Taylor in Jamaica and were thrilled with his services as well on our last cruise)

Godfrey is a very reputable and knowledeable tour guide. We were picked up when promised (11am),taken for the island tour which is about 2 hours, and then taken to the beach for about 3 hours. We had the option of either Coki or Sapphire. We picked Sapphire since we were there once before and knew it had what we were looking for.

You can also get picked up 9am or 10am and be taken into town for shopping.We didn't want to do shopping so we got picked up later. When he dropped us off at the beach he took 2 from our party back to the ship as they didn't want to go to the beach.

All that for $20pp is one of the greatest bargains out there. You could look long and hard for complaints about Godfrey but I've yet to see one.

Have fun whatever you choose to do. :)

Bill

Totally agree with above poster. There is NO WAY you would find a bargain like Godfrey's tour with the ship sponsored tours and for only $20 pp. My DH kept asking if I was sure the price was right....and he's a nice guy to boot. I bought a rather pricey piece of jewelry and he locked it in the truck/bus while we swam. No problem.... :D

I have to add my endorsement for Godfrey. On our 3rd trip to the island, we decided to "see" the island. We were picked up at 11 am at the ship (no need to shop downtown) by a lovely young lady in a van. My husband tried to give her a couple of dollars as a tip, which she refused, saying the trip was already paid for. After a few minutes discussion, we made her understand that it was for her. Godfrey met us downtown and told us where to meet him in about 30 minutes, which gave us time to go get some bottled water. We had a wonderful tour of the island (try the banana daquiris when he recommends them) and ended up at Coki Beach for a few hours. This was the most enjoyable, least expensive excursion we have ever taken.

I always recommend Godfrey to all of my clients who are sailing the Eastern Caribbean, and I advise they book early. His open air bus will only accommodate about 25 people comfortably, and that's all he'll take reservations for. IMHO, you wouldn't go wrong booking with Godfrey.

went on the safari and thought it was great. It is like a large jeep seating about 20 megans bay is on there list to take you for the 2 hr beach time they will try and talk you into the other beach but you can request megans if you want. It is beautiful but koki (sp) has some great snorkling just a few feet off shore (but it is crowded)

Our family of 4 just visited St. Thomas on June 28, and used Godfrey. He was very reuptable, always on time and where he said he would be. He picked us up at at the boat and took us shopping, then on to the island tour, and finally to Sapphire beach. He even kept our shopping purchases locked up in the cab of the truck- no problem. We are recommending him to anyone we know who is going to St. Thomas. He is excellent.

- Thom, Karen, Katie and Allison ....Thank you Godfrey!

I've been hearing alot about Megan's Bay- can Godfrey also take you there?? His website has you choose Safari or Limo; which is the best (with some AC, too)? Thanks!

are you 'sure' you want to do this?? nevermind...

Have any openings on that cruise of yours, Pholter??

I know some people who would LOVE to join you!!LOL

If you use the search and looked up godfrey you will see that there is no bad reviews for his service. I used him a few years ago before he became famous -so to speak- you will not find a better tour for his asking price anywhere on any island.

Hey Fred how's it going. Actually I didn' get up early. I was still up and didn't make it to bed until 06:30. My son had a birthday party and sleepover, so I stayed up all night to make sure the raging hormones didn't get out of control. ;)

I think the OP got a ringing endorsement for Godfrey. We lucked out and got an A/C van as we were the only 11am pickups. I guess they didn't want to use the big safari for little ole us. :D

Bill

I just returned from the Glory (Eastern) and chose Godfrey's St. Thomas Island tour. We spent last Tuesday with Godfrey and it was ABSOLUTELY one of the BEST days EVER!

He is so professional and very well respected on the island. He met us at the ship, on time, as promised. He took us to town to shop for one hour. Gave us tips and ideas on things to buy, where to purchase, and what to do. Directions to restrooms, beverages, etc. Then he returned to pick us up for the tour of the island.

He is very knowledgable and proud of his island. He stopped at various kodak moment spots with awesome views. He took us to the Mtn Top (highest point on the island) to shop and enjoy the famous banana dacquari.

Then he gave us the option of spending two hours at either Meagan's Bay Beach, Coki Beach, or Sapphire Beach. Anyone and everyone on the tour can choose whichever beach they want. He will accomodate. We chose Coki. He returned in two hours to pick us up and take us back to the ship. We paid him when he returned us to the ship.

Book with him early and Enjoy!

WOW! Thanks for the responses. I guess I know what we'll be doing in St. Thomas. Better take care of reserving our date before too many cruise-critics read this post :)

Godfrey is absolutely wonderful! My husband hates organized tours for the most part, but I was able to convince him to do this one based on info from this board. He could not believe how good Godfrey was and what a bargain the tour was for only $20 per person. Don't even hesitate booking with him. He's reputable, on time, and willing to stop anywhere else that you might want to go. Plus, he's just a really nice guy to boot.

Godfrey was awesome!!

When we go to St Thomas again - (Hopefully next year) :o

We're definately going with Godfrey again! I gotta try a banana daquiri on Mountain Top!! Missed it the last time!!

I must agree and admit you can't go wrong with Godfrey Tours! We went on the Destiny back in May and before I left, I booked a tour with Godfrey. However, once we got to St. Thomas, I couldn't remember any details like where we were supposed to meet and when. The greatest thing was when we got off the ship, there stood Timmy with a sign WITH MY NAME ON IT! I was so excited! It was kinda neat so have someone waiting for you with a sign with your name on it! Thank goodness he was there because I had no clue where to go.

Timmy took us downtown to go shopping, to the highest point on St. Thomas, to the beach and then back to the ship. The best thing was, at least for my husband, was that he kept the drinks flowing...strong drinks too. Our tour was $20 but my husband must have drunk a whole bottle of Timmy's liquour all by himself. It was great and Timmy was great. You cannot go wrong! Enjoy! :-)

You can leave your towels and clothes in the jeep. Godfrey dont go far from the vehicle. (I also think there is a trunk in the back that he may let people leave their stuff.

Archived