Chankanaab & Playa Corona how bad is it?

stolen

I have heard that Wilma really did a number on the reefs on the west side of Cozumel....a crying shame...

We snorkeled on Cozumel last year and really loved it, but I am hearing reports that the reefs are so damaged that the snorkeling from shore is not very good.

Can anyone confirm or deny these reports?

We are leaving in three weeks and were planning on taking ourselves on a bit of snorkeling, but if the reefs are really trashed and not worth it, we might look for alternate activities on Coz.

I have heard that Wilma really did a number on the reefs on the west side of Cozumel....a crying shame...

We snorkeled on Cozumel last year and really loved it, but I am hearing reports that the reefs are so damaged that the snorkeling from shore is not very good.

Can anyone confirm or deny these reports?

We are leaving in three weeks and were planning on taking ourselves on a bit of snorkeling, but if the reefs are really trashed and not worth it, we might look for alternate activities on Coz.

I went diving on 10/20 in Coz and the deep dive at Santa Rosa wall was pretty bad, it had sand everywhere like snow on the side of a mountain with very little sea life. The shallow dive at Cedral pass was great with lots different fish including Queen and French Angels, Pork Fish, and Yellow Tailed Grunts. We saw a Nurse Shark and a Nassau Grouper. It was better before Wilma but it is coming back. I didnt do any snorkeling so I really can't speak about the shore. Good luck and I hope you have a safe and fun trip.

We were at Chankanaab park and snorkeled two weeks ago on Halloween.

We were concerned that snorkeling conditions would be horrible, but found them as good as ever. Now it has been our experience in the past that the areas near the shore in Chankanaab never had a lot of coral areas, and this is certainly still true. Also they have the areas near shore roped off so you couldn't snorkel right by the shore rocks where we've seen a lot of nice fish in the past. But there were a couple very nice coral heads just out to the right of the raft, as you're facing the water. These were in very good shape and teeming with more fish then we've ever seen there before. we saw a few divers there too.

As a plus the park was not very busy even though there were 7 ships in port. So we had a great day there - including some great margaritas and lunch of good Mexican food and seafood at the restaurant on the beach. They've even improved the chairs - nice wooden chairs and lounges there now.

Archived