Visiting Nassau on December 2, a few questions...

Flaming Homer

Our family (2 adults + 5-year old boy) are taking the 3-day Soverign of the Seas cruise with 11:00 AM arrival to Nassau and a 3:00 AM departure. I was hoping to:

1. Go on the Seaworld Explorer at 11:30, booking directly with them they want $45 / adult and $25 / child

Q1: I somehow can't see actually making this excursion, but it is also listed in the RCI book, does this mean they actually run a seperate session just for the cruises ? If so, can I book the later one instead of 11:30 ?

2. After lunch, visit Blue Lagoon and Stingray City

Q2: How do I get there by myself ?

3. After dinner (main sitting 6:00 PM), taxi to Antlatis and visit the Dig for "free"

Q3: Good idea ? Bad idea ?

Any hints or ideas is greatly appreciated. This is my first cruise, and last time I was in Nassau, Bush Sr. was President...

Our family (2 adults + 5-year old boy) are taking the 3-day Soverign of the Seas cruise with 11:00 AM arrival to Nassau and a 3:00 AM departure. I was hoping to:

1. Go on the Seaworld Explorer at 11:30, booking directly with them they want $45 / adult and $25 / child

Q1: I somehow can't see actually making this excursion, but it is also listed in the RCI book, does this mean they actually run a seperate session just for the cruises ? If so, can I book the later one instead of 11:30 ?

2. After lunch, visit Blue Lagoon and Stingray City

Q2: How do I get there by myself ?

3. After dinner (main sitting 6:00 PM), taxi to Antlatis and visit the Dig for "free"

Q3: Good idea ? Bad idea ?

Any hints or ideas is greatly appreciated. This is my first cruise, and last time I was in Nassau, Bush Sr. was President...

Q1 - You'll have to ask Seaworld if they have any seats on a later tour.

I doubt you will make the 11:30 boat if you arrive at 11am, unless they are using the same boat to pick up the cruise tour.

Q2 - Blue Lagoon and stingray city are both closed. The only attraction on Blue Lagoon Island these days in the Dolphin Encounter. This may change in the future, but I haven't heard anything about it reopening.

If and when it reopens, it would be TOURS ONLY.. as it's a privately owned island and only tours with permits are allowed access.

Blackbeards Cay may be a good alternative, since they have stingrays.

Check the tour listing for afternoon tours. These are available thru the ship. Blackbeards cay is a private island with only tours with permits allowed. No ferries or other cheap alternatives.

Q3 - The Aquariums at Atlantis are always a treat, especially when they are free. After 7:30 or so security disappears and you can wander thru the DIGs uninterupted. But check for security at the entrance. If they are still around, you'll need a ticket. Just wander around and come back later.

Q1 - You'll have to ask Seaworld if they have any seats on a later tour.

I doubt you will make the 11:30 boat if you arrive at 11am, unless they are using the same boat to pick up the cruise tour.

Q2 - Blue Lagoon and stingray city are both closed. The only attraction on Blue Lagoon Island these days in the Dolphin Encounter. This may change in the future, but I haven't heard anything about it reopening.

If and when it reopens, it would be TOURS ONLY.. as it's a privately owned island and only tours with permits are allowed access.

Blackbeards Cay may be a good alternative, since they have stingrays.

Check the tour listing for afternoon tours. These are available thru the ship. Blackbeards cay is a private island with only tours with permits allowed. No ferries or other cheap alternatives.

Q3 - The Aquariums at Atlantis are always a treat, especially when they are free. After 7:30 or so security disappears and you can wander thru the DIGs uninterupted. But check for security at the entrance. If they are still around, you'll need a ticket. Just wander around and come back later.

Thanks Scubagirrl, I just read that Stingray city was closed due to hurricane damage in 2004. Surprisingly, I also found the prices offered by RCI for Seaworld Explorer fairly close to what I would pay if arranged personally.

The prices for Blackbeard's Cay (Stingray Snorkel & Beach Break) seems quite high (CAD$ 54.39 / CAD$ 46.62) for the description, is it worth it ?

Thanks Scubagirrl, I just read that Stingray city was closed due to hurricane damage in 2004. Surprisingly, I also found the prices offered by RCI for Seaworld Explorer fairly close to what I would pay if arranged personally.

The prices for Blackbeard's Cay (Stingray Snorkel & Beach Break) seems quite high (CAD$ 54.39 / CAD$ 46.62) for the description, is it worth it ?

Hard to say if it's worth it.. but i can tell you that there are about 30 stingrays in an open water pen and they "fly" thru your legs and all around you as you stand shin deep in the water.. Or you can float out a few feet and swim along with them. If your son has never had this type of adventure. Then yes, I'd say it was worth it.

Hard to say if it's worth it.. but i can tell you that there are about 30 stingrays in an open water pen and they "fly" thru your legs and all around you as you stand shin deep in the water.. Or you can float out a few feet and swim along with them. If your son has never had this type of adventure. Then yes, I'd say it was worth it.

Thanks Scubagrril. According to the RCI website, both tours happens about the same time, about 12:30pm. Considering I really want to do the Seaworld Explorer, I think I will book that with RCI. Is it possible to arrange other operators to tour Blackbeard Cay later in the afternoon after I've arrived ? If so, what kind of prices would I be looking at ?

TIA

Thanks Scubagrril. According to the RCI website, both tours happens about the same time, about 12:30pm. Considering I really want to do the Seaworld Explorer, I think I will book that with RCI. Is it possible to arrange other operators to tour Blackbeard Cay later in the afternoon after I've arrived ? If so, what kind of prices would I be looking at ?

TIA

All afternoon tours will pickup from the downtown wharf around 1pm.

There are no tours that I know of that go out later in the afternoon.

All afternoon tours will pickup from the downtown wharf around 1pm.

There are no tours that I know of that go out later in the afternoon.

If you're just looking for something else to do after the tour, you might be interested in Ardastra Gardens and Zoo (www.ardastra.com)

It's a quaint little zoo with marching flamingoes and lorry parrot feedings.

You're little one would love it.

You can take a cab from the dock for about $10.. then to get back.. just walk to the main road (about 2 blocks) and pick up the #10 jitney heading back to town for $1 ea.

If you're just looking for something else to do after the tour, you might be interested in Ardastra Gardens and Zoo (www.ardastra.com)

It's a quaint little zoo with marching flamingoes and lorry parrot feedings.

You're little one would love it.

You can take a cab from the dock for about $10.. then to get back.. just walk to the main road (about 2 blocks) and pick up the #10 jitney heading back to town for $1 ea.

Thanks for the suggestion Scubagirrl, looks like I'll have to ask the boy which he would prefer - stingray or a (pretend) submarine and let him choose.

Archived