Dawn Princess Formal/Informal

exgman

Starting to pack for our 11/20 Dawn cruise and was looking at our cruise docs and noticed some changes since we cruised Princess last. This is a 10 day cruise and it says only two formal nights and no informal (coat & tie) nights. The other 8 nights they call smart casual, which I assume is a nice shirt and long pants. All my other cruises on different lines over 7 days have had 3 formal nights. Anybody been on Dawn lately? No sport coat?

Dan

Just got off the Dawn Princess on Nov 9th.

On the 11-day sailing, there are two formal nights. You'll see the usual formal wear then, tuxes or suits for men and dressy dresses and pantsuits for women. Lots of black, sparkly tops, and several long dresses.

The remaining "Smart Casual" nights are defined by Princess as evening resort wear. Definitely no sports coat or tie needed. Open-collared shirts for men, like polos or Hawaiian shirts, and khaki-type pants were most commonly seen.

For women, summer-wear like a sundress, summer shirts and pants. Several ladies wore their Mexican dresses purchased ashore. No shorts; but I saw several women in nice long shorts (like ladies' golf length, just above the knee) and summer-weight tops, like Hawaiian shirts. Also saw a lady in culottes.

Just casual wear that would be appropriate for evenings in a restaurant in a resort area.

The first night most pax wore their "coming onboard" clothes since no one wants to immediately unpack and miss sailaway, esp under the Golden Gate Bridge!

Same with the final night; most wore their going-home travel clothes since luggage needs to be out during the dinner hour then.

Glad to answer any other questions about the cruise, etc. We're frequent Princess cruisers and have current Dawn Princess info.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Just off the Dawn and you are correct. There are two formal nights. All of the other nights are "Smart Casual". We did see many in sport coats for those evenings, but many wore just a nice shirt/pants.

We had a marvelous cruise. Hope you have the same:)

-Ann

On formal nights Princess now allows dark business suits along with tuxes. That said, some men interpret dark business suit as a plaid sportcoat with polyester pants. And some don't wear ties, because Princess literature does not mention ties (I guess they think that a suit doesn't include the accessories). But for the most part you will see mostly respectable business suits with some tuxes.

fairsky and 2Badgers, thank you. Sometimes the docs don't match the Captains wishes, so I appreciate you're first hand knowledge.

Tom O, I always wear a tux on formal nights but I never liked the coat and tie thing, took up too much room in the suitcase. however, I think I still have a leisure suit somewhere................

Dan

Glad to answer any other questions about the cruise, etc. We're frequent Princess cruisers and have current Dawn Princess info.

Fairsky1984,

I'm enjoying your posts about the Dawn. Are you planning to write a review of your recent cruise? DH and I will sail on 1/25/07 - same itinerary.

Chris

I wrote my first-ever Review several days ago, hoping I did it right! It should be under "Reviews"....again hopefully!

Found your review; nice job. Thanks. We are so looking forward to this cruise. We plan to do the vow renewal (our 35th was this past June), and I'll celebrate my birthday as on many of our cruises in late January.

Sailing on the Dawn in 68 days!

Chris

OK, here goes; I'm trying to self-teach how to do links. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Largin, for suggesting that I post my Review here and thanks, cruzinchris, for searching elsewhere on the Board and for your kudos :)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=22881

Hope this works....

Archived