How best to decide where to stay pre-cruise

Narita

I see many people like us like go into a city early to enjoy a few days. My question is what is the best way to know where to book a hotel in a good location in a major city? in the past the city booking was done by my TA-but I would like to go in informed. The city in question is Rome before "Rome to Istanbul" June of 07. thank for any help--probably this has been addressed but I dont know how to pull it up.

I usually read the recommendations and descriptions in Fodor's and Frommer's both of which are available on line. Then I visit the hotel's web sites. I never book through the cruise line although I may book the same hotels, but at a much lower rate.

We review fodor & frommer, too, and browse/buy the lonely planet guide if we are going to stay more than a night or two. There are a number of threads on cruise critics where people have recommended hotels they like in Rome.

The research is half the fun! Start your research early by going to the library and checking out the guides such as Lonely Planet, Frommers, Fodors, Rick Steeves and Moon. Then you will also know which style of guide you like best for future purchase.

I look at the areas I would like to stay in or where it's recommended to stay, then go to tripadvisor.com. Some people say that it's a sham website, but I have used it consistently and only been disappointed by it once. Then you will know the best hotels/b and b's in the area you want to stay, plus get non-biased reviews, and also it's a good way to pick up other travel tips as well. Also, you can see general price ranges. There will be good and bad reviews and then you can weigh pros and cons about a particular hotel. There are also honest pictures done by travellers that aren't glossed up by professional photographers.

Then, shortlist the places that appeal to you, and go to their websites to make your final decision. You can tell a lot about a place how they respond to your e-mails or inquiries as well.

Some people claim that there are fake reviews boosting ratings, which I disagree with, especially when the review is of a foreign hotel, and the engish in the review is excellent. We once stayed at an ultra expensive Sedona inn, and we had a terrible stay. We are down-to-earth, reasonable people. All other reivews raved about the place so I wondered at that point about fake reviews. Otherwise, I've had good luck with tripadvisor.

Archived