Womens Formal Evenings

Jarronwood

Hi everyone

I need your advice.

I went shopping today with my niece as she was looking for a basque to wear with a pair of black trousers to her Xmas evening with her boyfriend's office. Anyway we trawled the shops and I too tried on a couple of dresses with a view to the formal evening(s) on our cruise in February on the Summit.

ANyway, to cut a long story short, in one particular shop they had a sale on and in the past I had hired dresses from here for my works do in London at one of the big hotels and there were a couple of dresses for sale but I tried them on and didn't like them. Then Caroline the shop owner brought out a burgundy red dress and I will try to desribe it as best I can.

Although one piece it looks like two pieces with the skirt being A line but very floatly and chiffony with about 3 layers of chiffon or organza/silk or maybe 2 with the underlayer being silk/satin. The top is like a basque/bodice, whaleboned which can be worn with shoestring straps or without. As soon as I put it on I fell in love with it. I It will need a little bit of adjusting but Caroline said she will hang it up in her shop and to come back in February to make the adjustments and to bring the shoes since its too long.

Anyway - I am now thinking the dress might be to OTT. I have searched on this forum and see a thread with pictures of what other people wear but none were from the X ships.

What I want to know from you experienced cruisers what you would consider as being OTT.

If I can find a similar picture of the dress I will post it but when I tried the dress on I just thought it would be absolutely the right thing to wear on the formal night since I have read on the X forum that X cruisers tend to really go OTT.

WHen I cruised a few years ago with RCCL I wore a black long satin straght skirt with a sort of fish tail kick back and paired that with a black basque and a cerise one. I intend wearing the same skirt, with my white wedding basque which is the picture of me in the avatar.

Also do you wear a different dress on each formal night and is each formal night more formal, like Captains Cocktail Party, Captains Farewell party or what? We have 3 on the Summit over the 14 day cruise.

Hi there

We cruise with lots of different lines and although they all have 'formal' nights, dress can vary from company to company. I have even seen men in vest t shirts in the restaurant!! (it wasn't a 'casual' night either).

Most people wear what I would call 'cocktail' dresses, as opposed to the 'ball gown' types that you would get in the UK if you went to a black tie event. However, I have seen the lot. From the little flimsy dresses that are just a bit different from the norm, to the full ball gown.

Probably 30% are extremely dressy, older ladies tend to go for the sparkly tops and dresses. There are plenty of sequins around and it doesn't sound like you would be out of place, although the dress sounds fantastic and will probably make other ladies heads turn - I am always watching out for the beautiful dresses - with envy!

Most people do wear something different for each night. I certainly am taking three cocktaily/evening dresses.

Having said this, it is a long time since we went with X and things may have changed, If I remember last time, I did feel a little bit overdressed, but then we British have to keep the side up!!!!!

We are off on the Galaxy on Monday, I will let you know when I get back!

Kate

Are you asking if the dress/gown you describe as OTT (I'm taking as over the top) if it is too formal? If that is your question, there is no such thing. Will you be more formally dressed than some, probably. But formal is formal, and more people adhere to the fofmality on X than other mass marketed lines, with maybe an exception to HAL. If it fits great, is comfy, and you can pack it, by all means wear it.

Now, again formal is formal and technically no night is more formal than another. That being said, you will typically see more formal attire on the first formal night with the captain's cocktail party on that night. But on our last cruise (not on X), the maitre d' brought up something very interesting the evening before the first formal night. He told the ladies if they couldn't decide which formal outfit to wear, pick the tightest one because you may not fit into when the next formal night comes. Just something to think about.

Thanks for that. I actually found a picture of the same style on another thread with someone asking the same question and being told exactly what you have said.

The dress as I said is burgendy and the skirt very floaty with the whaleboned bodice (great for pulling you in) but as I said as soon as I put it on I knew that this was made just for me - I would want to wear it every night but obviously won't.

Do you think if I get my husband to wear a matching cumberband and bow tie we would look "a right pair" and stupid? He will be wearing his tux but I thought I would buy him a cumberland, hanky and bowtie in the same colour.

Burgundies and reds can be difficult to match, but the typical black and white tux is always a match (unless you're wearing off-white, creams, and sometimes navy). If you can really match the tie and cumberbun, maybe but it may be too matchy-matchy. Maybe you can find a print that picks up the color of your dress. I didn't catch when you are cruising. If it's during the Christmas season, a nice plaid might work.

Sounds good to me. I personally like to be really dressed up on formal night. Also, I like to wear a different dress on each formal night, but. If it is a 14 night cruise, wear it on the first and last formal nights and where something different on the one in the middle.

Thanks Jen

I have a black satin long skirt with a sort of fish tail effect at the back and intend wearing that with my white wedding basque and maybe long opera black satin gloves? Not sure about the gloves though - it probably sets the whole outfit off.

I was going to pair the long black skirt with another basque which I had for my previous cruise, in fact I had a black one and a cerise one but they are nothing special, my white wedding one is really nice and goes very well with the black skirt -

Its strange isn't it but I must have tried on lots of outfits when I got married a couple of years ago and then the assistant in a shop asked me to try on a skirt with matching top which she had tried to get me to try on before but I didn't really like it. Since I was half undressed and had tried nearly every dress in the shop I thoguht might as well - as soon as it was on I knew it was "me" - it fitted my body shape so well, hiding the flabby bits round the middle - well pulling them in more like - and accenting the better part of me. I loved my wedding outfit and felt like a princess - we got married on the beach in Jamaica at Sandals but I got another chance to wear it when we held a reception back home in the UK.

In fact here is a link to some of my pictures :

http://community.webshots.com/user/jarronwood

Then yesterday I just happened to try on a dress which is in a similar style to my wedding outfit - when you are a bit overweight with most of it round the middle, a whalebone corset does the trick.

Although I will probably bring my other tops and my neice is lending me her halter black long evening dress I will more than likely where the new one twice - might as well get my money's worth since I dont know when we will be in a position again to cruise.

I was wondering whether I could wear the other basque type tops with a nice pair of black trousers to say the speciality restaurant and maybe one of the informal evenings????

I think its really nice to be able to dress up, how often do us girls get the chance. It gives you a real boost.

:D

Hi everyone

I need your advice.

I went shopping today with my niece as she was looking for a basque to wear with a pair of black trousers to her Xmas evening with her boyfriend's office. Anyway we trawled the shops and I too tried on a couple of dresses with a view to the formal evening(s) on our cruise in February on the Summit.

ANyway, to cut a long story short, in one particular shop they had a sale on and in the past I had hired dresses from here for my works do in London at one of the big hotels and there were a couple of dresses for sale but I tried them on and didn't like them. Then Caroline the shop owner brought out a burgundy red dress and I will try to desribe it as best I can.

Although one piece it looks like two pieces with the skirt being A line but very floatly and chiffony with about 3 layers of chiffon or organza/silk or maybe 2 with the underlayer being silk/satin. The top is like a basque/bodice, whaleboned which can be worn with shoestring straps or without. As soon as I put it on I fell in love with it. The dress sounds beautiful, go for it, if you feel good dressed in it then buy it. It will need a little bit of adjusting but Caroline said she will hang it up in her shop and to come back in February to make the adjustments and to bring the shoes since its too long.

Anyway - I am now thinking the dress might be to OTT. We have just been on a 14 day repo cruise from NJ to Florida with 3 formal nights, I and my husband love dressing up, we have very busy working lives at home and take every opportunity to go out there and have fun in evening wear. I have searched on this forum and see a thread with pictures of what other people wear but none were from the X ships.

What I want to know from you experienced cruisers what you would consider as being OTT. Certainly not OTT, we saw all sorts of evening wear, from full on ball gowns to the little black numbers....... evening trousers with glittery tops, skirts, black and white outfits to bright orange outfits, so it is purely personal. Its lovely to get a comment from fellow cruises saying how nice you look, or how lovely your outfit is!

If I can find a similar picture of the dress I will post it but when I tried the dress on I just thought it would be absolutely the right thing to wear on the formal night since I have read on the X forum that X cruisers tend to really go OTT.

WHen I cruised a few years ago with RCCL I wore a black long satin straght skirt with a sort of fish tail kick back and paired that with a black basque and a cerise one. I intend wearing the same skirt, with my white wedding basque which is the picture of me in the avatar. If these outfits still fit wear them again, I keep what I call my 'cruisy' clothes especially for these holidays, but they come in handy for Christmas 'dos' as well.

Also do you wear a different dress on each formal night and is each formal night more formal, like Captains Cocktail Party, Captains Farewell party or what? We have 3 on the Summit over the 14 day cruise.

We travelled with far too much luggage this time, but I had a different outfit every night and felt good about it, but then complained about carrying the luggage - so I guess you have to take the rough with the smooth.......

Only other little advice - wear the tight clothes first, the food is just oh so yummy................

My hubby has a black set, a silver set and a multi set to wear with the tux's, also a white dinner jacket, so get your hubby to wear what he is comfortable in too - does he wear suits to work? (my hubby is in the construction business so he is 'grubby' most days, so enjoys getting dressed up too)

All thats left to say is HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME AND ENJOY..........

I think your dress sounds great for a formal night on X. IME, well more than half of the ladies opt for long dresses on these nights and many are very dressy. I would absolutely bring it and enjoy!

I do wear a different dress each night and prefer long; I save cocktail dresses for informal nights and the specialty restaurants.

Your dress sounds beautiful, and I don't think you'd be out of place, or OTT, at all! Be sure you get a formal photograph with you and dh.

The most unusual and beautiful dress I've ever seen on a formal night was a silk kimono. It was gorgeous, and I told the lady so. It was obviously original oriental, not some American copy. She actually wore it for both formal nights, but I didn't think a thing about it.

I think all women do this. My daughter and I do, and we both laugh at ourselves. We STRESS over what to wear and what looks good on us. Especially bathing suits! And, in the end, it really doesn't matter. If I feel a little self-conscious in a one piece, there's always someone who weighs 250 in a string bikini, and I end up feeling a little better. I'm learning to dress comfortably, and if I wear it twice, well then, who cares???

Have fun packing,

Shay

Thanks for your advice, I shall wear my dress with joy.

I do have another couple of questions for you and that is what sort of shoes should I wear? Here is a link to a pair I won on e bay in the summer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190024978075

There are very strappy but I am not sure whether they would be right or should I go for a more court shoe?

I actually had a look at the receipt for my address and Caroline has described it as "burgundy organza ball gown with rose detail". The rose detail from what I can remember is that the first layer of the gown is drawn up to a rose on the skirt. The skirt is A line very very floaty made up of a couple of layers of organza/chiffon and the bodice is very whaleboned but doesn't have a layer of chiffon on it. I cant remember what the neckline was like but do know its low and the whalebones in the bodice hold it up.

So my next question is what should I wear round my neck in the way of jewellery. Caroline suggested diamonds (well imitation obviously) but would you go with a choker or something dropped.

Your advice would be greatly received. I will worry about earrings later but once I get the right necklace then I can work from there.

ALso thank you all for your help so far - I think I had better post this onto the fashion wear forum though. It was just that I read through that forum and its so diverse. It seems it really hinges on what line you are crusing with as for instance I dont think I would feel comfortable in my dress on the Disney line for instance and probably the RCCL line.

One of the reasons we chose X was because it is more geared up for the older crowd who tend to dress the part and after reading the X forum I felt that the X cruisers do tend to stick to the dress code.

I like the shoes. Are they comfortable? Even if they are not, you won't have them on that long. As far as if they are okay for the cruise, of course they are.

Not having seen the dress, I can't comment on the jewelry, but when I shop for jewelry, I get the earrings and necklace together. I also make jewelry, so I'm pretty okay when it comes to that. Sometimes, if the earrings are really big, I go for a bracelet instead of a necklace. Or if you find the perfect necklace, just some studs would work. You don't want to overdo.

Come to Tennessee, I'll help you shop.

Shay

The shoes are comfortable. I often wear high heels for work anyway so there won't be any trouble on that score and I always wear high heels if I am going out in the evening. I dont feel properly dressed unless I have a 3"+ heel on.

Besides, I am only 5' 4 so need the extra height not to mention it makes you look slimmer.

With high heels I am consious of the way I walk and it does make you walk taller.

ANyway if they do hurt another glass of bubbly soons cures the pain.

This post will likely be moved to the Fashion Board anyway, once the mods spot it.

IMO, though I hate to recommend shoes without seeing the dress, I like the shoes. I do not, however, like it when very light shoes are work with a dark colored dress as I feel it draws attention to the shoe and instead should be complimentary.

Are there any accent colors at all on the dress?

Personally, I would go with an elegant black strappy in a dressy fabric with the dress as I am picturing it.

Insofar as difference in cruise lines, you will see folks who enjoy dressing up and will do so with pleasure no matter the line. The difference IMO is that on lines like RCI and CCL, you may be sitting with folks wearing jeans or shorts:rolleyes:. On X, dress code does not appear to have deteriorated that far, yet.

Enjoy!

Jarronwood,

I have just read your thread after being away on (a non-cruise!) vacation. Your ensemble sounds absolutely divine. And if your husband is able to play with his cummerbund and other accessories, go for it!!:D

Personally, we are thrilled to read about people being enthused about formal nights. This is one of the aspects of cruising which won my husband over to this style of holiday. He loves having an opportunity to get all decked out. We just we were able to get on board more frequently ...

This thread is such a nice change from the 'Can't I wear my good jeans on formal night?' thing we see/hear.

Have a wonderful cruise. Alas, It's still 6+ months until we set sail again ... sigh.

Yes I agree. It is such a shame that nowadays the younger generation just have no idea. I expect I will get flamed down now by them but I am speaking generally not directed at any one person.

It also has something to do with the way they/we were brought up. My mother never had much money and really had to struggle with all of us - I was the youngest out of 6 and my elder brother was 20 years older.

She never ever relied on state handouts but worked all the hours she could to make sure we were dressed and clean. As my siblings grew older they were able to contribute to the housekeeping thus making it easier. I was very very lucky, I won a scholarship to a very big dancing school to train to be a dancer but she still had to pay for my uniform.

My daughter is 18 now and I have tried to instill good values, deportment, elecution and etiquetts. Only time will tell whether I have been successful.

Seriously though going back to formal evenings getting dressed up is one of the reasons we cruise.

Hi Josie

I just found this thread & your queries on clothes. I agree with the other posts that you wear what you are happy with and that there will be a mixture of all sorts. Your outfit sounds lovely so go with it. I usually have black trousers & a skirt & take different tops from fancy beaded/glittery to less fancy then can mix & match for formal/informal. This is to help with packing & carrying as much as anything else. This year was easy as we went from our home port but next time we will have luggage allowance to consider so remember that aspect!! I did notice that some people wore the same thing several times but only because I was being nosey & looking at clothes. I wear the same things myself come to that but try to mix them slightly differently!! Also what fits best at the time too. DH wears formal quite happily but has never worn a cummerbund. He has several different bow ties to vary the look!! Speak later on roll call.

Jan

Archived