Seattle Monorail

SeaCruiser_1

I read somewhere that there was a fire in the monorails to the Space Needle and the transportation system was suspended.

Does anyone know if service has been restored?

We sure are getting excited about our upcoming Amsterdam cruise and we arrive one day early for sightseeing.

The monorail is kaput for the foreseeable future. They've laid on a shuttle bus (free I think) that covers the same route.

No one seems to know when it will re-open. It appears the fire was caused by some flaw in the motor system that might be inherent in 40+ yr-old Alweg monorails. As the whole system is to be replaced by a spiffy new, much longer-route monorail in 4 or 5 years (or is it 10?) I wouldn't totally be shocked to see them decline any multimillion dollar fixes for the old trains.

I read somewhere that there was a fire in the monorails to the Space Needle and the transportation system was suspended.

Does anyone know if service has been restored?

We sure are getting excited about our upcoming Amsterdam cruise and we arrive one day early for sightseeing.

However, they offered the free bus transportation to the Space Needle. It's only a mile plus from West Lake center and very walk-able.:)

You also can check the monorail website for the latest info: http://www.seattlemonorail.com

Looks like they know what caused the problem but no news yet on when it'll be back. Hopefully they'll fix it and not wait for us to build the new version...but that's another story of politics in Seattle!

Have a great time in Seattle and on your cruise.

Linda

8/22 Sapphire Princess

Archived