What excursions should I not miss

wildthang2006

• 2 weeks later...

You must at least stop at paradise beach!! it is beautiful and the people are so nice!! also, if you wanna see the sights i would rent a jeep and drive around and stop at evertthing!! that is what we did on our stop in cozumel last year. It was so fun we would pull over a long side the road and just listen to the waves crash against the rocks wow what a beautiful sound!! you can find tons of places to stop at in downtown cozumel!! When are you going??

did you have trouble getting around? getting gas? i have not been on a cruise, but we are going in february, and the Jeep rental sounds awesome. what advice would you give to a newbie? never been to mexico, don't want to get in over my head. thank you.

I concur about renting a Jeep and driving around the island. We paid Executive Car Rental $45 + $25 for full insurance (most domestic auto insurance carriers explicitly exclude Mexico from coverage), plus gas. Driving around is a little bad, but not too bad. Also, Budget car rental is right next door to Executive, which are both really close to the ship. You may want to price around.

We will never book a shore excursion through the ship in Cozumel now, ever. Many excursions you can just drive yourself there and pay your own admission. And snorkeling--heck, you can do that for free. There is a beach right next to Paradise Beach (I think it's Sr. Iguanas) that has kayak rentals, guided horseback & ATV jungle tours, parasailing, the whole bit, for very reasonable rates. And then there's the San Gervasio Mayan ruins 9 miles away (admission $5.50 per person). Compare to the ships' Tulum ruins tour, which runs 7 hours and $100 per person. Tulum may be more impressive, but not THAT much more impressive.

What I did learn, though, was it's good to know some Spanish (because you're on your own), and be careful of being ripped off at the gas station. You may also want to bring a couple hundred bucks extra to buy stuff from the vendors around the island. I was able to haggle some good deals once I got away from the touristy downtown district. They take U.S. cash, but not credit card.

Thanks guys I have been waiting for a month for someone to write a post. I am going in April on the carnival triumph. I am into anything. I wanna be in the water, but also relax. I want to see something cultural and I love some good Mexican food.:D

Renting a car and exploring the island is a great idea. If you do this you should drive over to the the East Side of the island. It's fantastic. Big waves and beautiful beaches. There are several Bar/Restaurants right on the beach over there for lunch. Coconuts has some very nice views as they sit up on a hill.

Would highly recommend that you purchase the full insurance when renting a car. If you have any kind of an accident they will want full payment for the repairs before they let you leave the island, regardless of what kind of coverage you have through your Credit Card Company or insurance company back home. Also when getting gas make sure they zero out the pump before they start filling.

Have fun.

Archived