How do you interpret "Freestyle"

dyslexic pirate

What does the term "Freestyle" mean to you?

To me it means that there isn't a set dinner time and I can eat when I want and that I have the responsiblity to make reservations if I want to dine in a specialty restaurant.

I don't think the term refers to "style" of dress.

All the cruise lines I've traveled on mention the same "style" of dress as NCL. (resort casual/formal or semi suggested etc)

When I've cruised NCL I've seen alot of people who are confused and try to get into the specialty restaurants in shorts/tanks/flip flops and then throw a fit about how the ship is supposed to be "Freestyle" and that means they can wear whatever they want/when they want.

Just my opinions and observations. What do you think the term "Freestyle" really means?

I don't think the term refers to "style" of dress.
I don't know if any of you have noticed the NCL advertisements often found on websites where you can pick what the couple wears and basically whatever you pick is fine because of the whole "freestyle" attitude. It seems a bit strange because like you mentioned, you can not go to dinner wearing shorts and a tank top and the dress code is in fact similar to many cruise lines out there.

It seems a bit strange because like you mentioned, you can not go to dinner wearing shorts and a tank top and the dress code is in fact similar to many cruise lines out there.

I think there is one VERY important difference in terms of "dress code" between NCL's freestyle and all other MASS-MARKET cruise lines: There is never a requirement to wear a jacket or tie, let alone a suit or tuxedo in the dining rooms, and resort casual attire is perfectly acceptable EVERY night, even the OPTIONAL formal nights.

A great subject and an interesting study. I know many people coming off NCL cruises loving Freestyle, but I also see a lot of people who just hate the experience. The ones who hate it are for the most part reasonable people with different tastes and preferences when the cruise who were not educated about Freestyle beforehand. If they booked themselves then they failed to adequately read up and if they booked through a TA then their TA failed to pre-qualify them to see if their preferences matched what Freestyle is all about.

The definition of Freestyle is pretty much accurate in the NCL info, but certainly needs points of emphasis or an asterisk in spots:

TO ME freestyle is the ability to eat WHEN I want and *WHERE(1) I want and dress *HOW(2) I want and to disembark *WHEN(3) I want.

(1) Where in this definition does not mean a specific table at a specific restaurant at a specific time. It would be foolish of me to think there is a table for two at Cagneys at 8PM anytime with no wait and no reservation required for any of the 2600 people who would like it. It means that if I'd like to eat in any of the three dining rooms I can pretty much have a table at any time as long as I'd take any of them since the menu is the same. I know that if I want a specialty restaurant that seats 50 and I am on a ship of 2600 that It might be a good idea to make a reservation.

(2) How in this definition means as long as I don't wear shorts, tank tops or blue Jeans (unless I'm leaving from Texas) in main diniing/alt dining rooms that I can dress as casually as resort casual or all the way up to formal based upon my mood and preferences. Again...it is in the brochure, in the website FAQ, and known by any NCL reservation employee or TA. If you don't get it once you are onboard you have failed to educate yourself if you booked yourself or your booking agent (NCL or TA) has failed to educate you.

(3) Disembark when I want means that I still get a luggage tag color like all the other cruise lines and I can't leave before that color is called, BUT I can wait in the comfort of my own cabin or go enjoy the breakfast until that time comes. I can even ignore the color and stay on later if I'd like until someone shows me the door :-) Of course....a huge portion of my fellow passengers will not know about this adhead of time and ignore the disembarkation flyers slid under their doors and ignore the loudspeaker announcements and crowd the hallways, lounges and stairways just for fun and then complain about it on cruise message boards when they get home that they were treated like cattle :-)

There is my definition....I think it works well when passengers are educated going in about what to expect and how it works. The problem is that this may be the exception and not the norm. Boards like this, the internet and good reservation employees and TAs help, but the "Freestyle" definition is still not crystal clear to many that sail on NCL.

Michael

The only real difference in Freestyle vs Traditional dress is the formal nights are optional with Freestyle. Of course, you could join the small but growing number of Traditional diners who make the formal nights optional since some of the lines use a "suggested" dress code. Just be prepared to be boiled in oil on their forum.

I've also seen worse dress on Traditional lines, including formal nights, than I've ever seen with Freestyle. This may be because with Traditional you see almost every person on the ship as one group is coming out and the other is waiting to get in vs just a small percent of the Freestyle as they are more spread out coming to dine.

BTW, why do Traditional diners start lining up 15-20 minutes or more and wait before they can get in, but then complain if they have a 5-10 minute wait to get into a Freestyle dining room?

I really like mgiven's post, it really makes alot of sense. I have researched this next cruise to death, with the best info coming from this site. I get irritated when I read comments like "I don't consider having to make all of my dinner reservations on the firsty day freestyle" because they didn't get the exact reservation that they wanted at the last minute or " I couldn't get a reservation until 9:30pm" which tells me, last minute or large group. I have not yet cruised NCL, but I have never sailed on a ship that offered so many dining options, as the new NCL ships, so you can choose what type of international cuisine you want, this really seems like freestyle to me. And to those people complaining about not getting the reservation they want, try calling a nice landline restaraunt, last minute and getting in at the exact time that they want.;)

MAC

There is my definition....I think it works well when passengers are educated going in about what to expect and how it works. The problem is that this may be the exception and not the norm. Boards like this, the internet and good reservation employees and TAs help, but the "Freestyle" definition is still not crystal clear to many that sail on NCL.

Having just returned from our first cruise on a built-for-freestyle ship, I would say this is a problem that NCL needs to address by making more information available to passengers when they board ship or even before. We encountered many passengers who did not understand the "cover" charges for certain specialty restaurants, thinking that the cover was in addition to an extra charge for all items on the menu, and therefore choosing not to go to any. Others did not understand the point made so well by Michael above that it would be difficult to get the reservation time you wanted in a smaller specialty restaurant without making one in advance. Some saw us carrying a plate of tapas from Tango's back to our room for a before-early-show snack and asked what it was and where we got it. They were not aware of this wonderful aspect of Tango's, and asked with disbelief: "Is that free?"

There really needs to be a one-page "guide to freestyle dining" that is placed in all cabins--if not included in your document package--that spells out not just the marketing hype but gives tips on how to make freestyle work best for you on the ship you are cruising and gives examples of the incredible flexibility in dining you can attain with it. (For example, by picking up an early evening snack at the tapas bar, then going to the early show, and following with dinner in the restaurant of your choice, and also by suggesting you check the freestyle daily for specialty restaurants that might be open at lunch, as Chin Chin and Teppanyaki were on Jewel's trans-Atlantic.)

Having spoken with a number of first-time NCL cruisers on Jewel, I can understand why someone can come back somewhat frustrated from a freestyle cruise, and it's really not necessary for it to happen.

Having just returned from our first cruise on a built-for-freestyle ship, I would say this is a problem that NCL needs to address by making more information available to passengers when they board ship or even before. We encountered many passengers who did not understand the "cover" charges for certain specialty restaurants, thinking that the cover was in addition to an extra charge for all items on the menu, and therefore choosing not to go to any. Others did not understand the point made so well by Michael above that it would be difficult to get the reservation time you wanted in a smaller specialty restaurant without making one in advance. Some saw us carrying a plate of tapas from Tango's back to our room for a before-early-show snack and asked what it was and where we got it. They were not aware of this wonderful aspect of Tango's, and asked with disbelief: "Is that free?"

There really needs to be a one-page "guide to freestyle dining" that is placed in all cabins--if not included in your document package--that spells out not just the marketing hype but gives tips on how to make freestyle work best for you on the ship you are cruising and gives examples of the incredible flexibility in dining you can attain with it. (For example, by picking up an early evening snack at the tapas bar, then going to the early show, and following with dinner in the restaurant of your choice, and also by suggesting you check the freestyle daily for specialty restaurants that might be open at lunch, as Chin Chin and Teppanyaki were on Jewel's trans-Atlantic.)

Having spoken with a number of first-time NCL cruisers on Jewel, I can understand why someone can come back somewhat frustrated from a freestyle cruise, and it's really not necessary for it to happen.

NCL already has a web site about Freestyle up for years for passengers willing to surf the web a little. http://www.uk.ncl.com/freestyle/qanda.htm

Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions

about Freestyle Cruising.

pt_circ_dine1.jpgQ. What is appropriate dinner attire?

A. Almost whatever you want. We don’t require you to wear a tie or other formal attire to dinner. We do request however that guest wear “resort casual” attire to dine in any of our specialty or main restaurants.

Q. What exactly is “resort casual” attire?

A. Resort casual is a much more comfortable way to dress for dinner. Basically, it’s slacks or trousers and a collared shirt for men and trousers, slacks, a dress or skirt for women.

Q. Are there any formal nights?

A. Yes, and they are optional. At least once during your cruise, one or more of the restaurants will host a formal dinner. There will be several other dining choices where resort casual attire is appropriate.

Q. How do we know where to eat each night?

A. There are no rules as to where you dine or when you dine, so try them all.

Q. What time are the dinner seatings?

A. Our restaurants are open from 5:30 pm to midnight, with seating available until 10 pm. You can dine early to late. It’s all up to you. And if you want even more flexibility, room service is available 24 hours a day, with certain ships offering 24hr restaurants.

Q. Can we still sit at the same table every night?

A. Yes. The Maitre d’ will be pleased to arrange that for you once you are on board. Or you can change your mind and sit at a different table in a different restaurant every night of our cruise.

Q. Do I pay extra for all these dining choices?

A. All meals in the main restaurants, 24-hour restaurant are included in your cruise fare. Snacks, room service and on-deck grills are also complimentary. Specialty restaurants have a nominal fee or have à la carte pricing.

Q. What’s different about Freestyle Disembarkation?

A. Disembarkation used to be a lot of hurry up and wait. Wherever possible and when local immigration procedures allow, we offer NCL Freestyle Disembarkation. There’s no need to hurry, so relax over breakfast and step ashore at your leisure.

That basically covers it all, without being ship specific. I believe if they took the trouble to print ship specific Freestyle brochures, no one would read them. Isn't dress attire and restaurant fees already printed each day in the Freestyle Daily? I guess hardly anyone reads them.

part of that problem is with both the TAs and the cruisers.

1st...everyone HAS to do their homework. it's listed on NCL's website (both old and new) maybe not prices, but it does say if it's a surcharge or not. if the cruisers don't do the web...send for a brochure. at least then you might have some questions and ask someone.

2nd...not all TAs travel as much as they use to. to some it's just a job and they have no personal experience. we had a great on-line agent, but i doubt if he could have answers questions about NCL's star. (or given us hints about dining, shows or even ports)

3rd..read the dailies..everything is listed. but you have to read it.

so many people just "go on vacation" and then are surprised at what they miss. i had my family argue with me about some stuff on the ship, after i had done 2 months of research. i finally just shut up and let them lead the way. i did all that research and no one wanted to hear it. :mad:

oh, well..to each thier own. i had a great time researching and talking to everyone on this board.

NCL already has a web site about Freestyle up for years for passengers willing to surf the web a little.

Not everyone surfs the web--whether a little or a lot.

Based on interactions with passengers on my Jewel cruise, that web site is not adequate to get the word out to new passengers. Too many people had no clue as to how to get the most out of freestyle, and were frustrated. That results in having what should be an enormous positive for NCL--freestyle--turned into a negative for many people. A company that allows that to happen is missing a bet and shooting itself in the foot.

Q. Do I pay extra for all these dining choices?

A. All meals in the main restaurants, 24-hour restaurant are included in your cruise fare. Snacks, room service and on-deck grills are also complimentary. Specialty restaurants have a nominal fee or have à la carte pricing.

This is not even correct, never mind "covering it all." Tango's and Mama's Kitchen are "specialty restaurants" and have no fee or a la carte pricing. Sorry, it's simply confusing to a newbie.

This is not even correct, never mind "covering it all." Tango's and Mama's Kitchen are "specialty restaurants" and have no fee or a la carte pricing. Sorry, it's simply confusing to a newbie.

While I agree that they could do a better job of explaining it, I also believe in the KISS method. If they would spell it all out in detail, it would become overwhelming to many. Some would be confused by the amount of info and others would not read it because it is too long and/or boring.

With cruising having so many things going on with it, it becomes difficult to explain without overwhelming.

Freestyle, to me, means freedom of choice.

I get to choose when to dine, whether that means going to a main dining room when I feel like it OR making a reservation in a specialty restaurant for a specific time that I choose.

I get to choose where to dine from a variety of restaurants. The number and diversity of cuisines offered on the newer ships epitomize Freestyle dining's freedom of choice.

I get to choose with whom to dine instead of being assigned to a fixed table with a fixed set of tablemates, with whom I might not be compatible. I get to make this decision each night, depending on my mood - an intimate table for two, or a larger table with friends that I just made on an excursion, or a larger table with strangers because I'm being especially sociable.

I get to choose how to dress every night (within the very reasonable definition of resort casual), not based on the dictates of the cruise line but by my own preference. It is not true that other mainstream cruise lines offer the same dress code. They may tolerate resort casual on the formal nights and passengers may get away with ignoring the evening's dress guideline, but that's not the same thing.

That's how I view Freestyle cruising.

Very good idea!

Not everyone surfs the web--whether a little or a lot.

Based on interactions with passengers on my Jewel cruise, that web site is not adequate to get the word out to new passengers. Too many people had no clue as to how to get the most out of freestyle, and were frustrated. That results in having what should be an enormous positive for NCL--freestyle--turned into a negative for many people. A company that allows that to happen is missing a bet and shooting itself in the foot.

Gee........maybe.........ya think........a good travel agent can "educate" the passenger:rolleyes: :)

Gee........maybe.........ya think........a good travel agent can "educate" the passenger:rolleyes: :)

If you cannot access these boards, then you definity need a "GREAT" travel agent that knows NCL/NCLA and what the client prefers. :)

I was recently on the Pride of America and received a one page insert in the Freestyle daily distributed on embarkation. It was titled "Planning Your Evenings" and explained Freestyle Dining vs the specialty restaurants, as well as the Dress code for the cruise. Unfortunately many passengers do not read the Freestyle Daily and then complain "no one told me." Passengers do have to take responsibility for knowing what they paid for.

I think the main problem with "Freestyle" is a combination of unrealistic expectations by passengers and lack of knowledge regarding "freestyle." There is not always a table for two or four or six sitting empty. The passenger may have to wait but for me it beats having to be in the dining room for a predetermined seating - 6 PM or 8:30. For others any wait while on vacation is seen as a negative. There is no way to please everyone!

I don't know about anyone else, but I doubt that we would read an insert stuffed into the daily, or left on the bed. I disagree with those who buy a car, take a vacation, buy a house, etc and when things don't go well, complain and blame it on something/something. We are all responsible to educate ourselves when "purchasing" vacation, and if we get that education through a TA, with online research, message boards such as this, talking to friends, etc., then we can consider ourselves informed buyers.

The common complaint "I didn't know, no one told me" is ridiculous - we all know how to ask questions. Knowledge is power - if you do your due diligence before the cruise I think your experience onboard will reflect that.

As always, JMHO

Before our first cruise (Carnival) and first cruise on Norwegian our TA gave us great info. I also learned loads of info. on cc (and still am). CC is a great place to learn from other's experiences. Also learned a lot about excursions/ports. Some of the best I've taken were recommended by folks on cc. Taking responsibility for researching really contributes to having a good time.

Recently returned from NCL Jewel 15 day TA and had no problems with the freestyle. This was only our 4th cruise and had never been on NCL. We liked the concept of not dressing up formal and no set dining times. As far as the dress code goes, usually when we go out to dinner I wear khakis or casual pants and my husband wears Dockers and a collared shirt andthis seemed to be the norm in the main dining room and the Specialty restaurants. We did however wear jeans to Tangos. I agree with being informed before you take your cruise. I read many threads on the freestyle concept and no problem with reservations and what to expect. Yes, we did make a few once reservations once we boarded the ship but twice we were able to get reservations at 6:30 for two of the specialty restaurants the evening before and once called at 6:40 and got same night reservations for Tangos at 7:30. A little research goes a long way and helps prevent disappointment because your cruise didn't deliver what you expected. We enjoyed it so much we are crusing on the Pearl next Sept from LA to Miami via the Panama Canal.

We have sailed on HAL 9 times, Princess 3 times and RCCL 3 times and NCL 1 time.

We thought that no other cruise line could beat HAL even though they have slipped in some areas in recent years.

Due to a cancelled HAL cruise in 2005 we booked a AA suite on the NCL Star to Alaska.

We were not familar with freestyle cruising so didn't know what to expect but were very pleased and have booked a cruise on the new Pearl next July.

As I said we weren't familar with the concept of freestyle cruising so really didn,t take full advantage of all that it offers but will certainly do so next time.

As relates to this discussion I feel that NCL does all it can do to explain what to do. MY opinion.

I really don't have any problem making reservations and think the whole concept is great.

I have grown tired of being told when and where to eat, etc.

Archived