Smokers Beware

zaandam_2

Does anyone really think the cruise industry is going to let the smoking situation onboard stay the same when there is so much pressure to restrict smoking in public places? I'm sure it will change little by little over the years.

However, I would think smokers and nonsmokers alike would be happy to see the rules enforced.

I was just on the Imagination and didn't notice any issues with smokers vs non-smokers. Signs were clearly posted. Even in the areas where I went where smoking was allowed, it didn't bother me much. I sat and talked to several new friends who were smokers and I enjoyed our time together smoke and all!

I was a 3 pack a day smoker and my kids begged me to stop. I tried numerous times with no success. Finally I did the nicotine gum and I chewed it for 9 months - cutting down a little each month. It worked - I haven't smoked since 1988.

I do appreciate smokers smoking in designated areas but do notice that these areas keep decreasing. There are now non-smoking hotels.

I am not here to preach - just to say I wish you success if you are trying to stop (a cruise is an excellent time to stop) and I wish you good health if you decide to continue to smoke.

Hi Zaandam 2, Meant to reply to this the other day and got side-tracked. You provided good info for smokers and - having been one - wanted to tell my 'smoking story'. I started in my early teens (it made me look SOOOO mature) and after 46 years I was a 2 pack-a-day puffer, too. And like all smokers I was always saying that I would quit 'someday'. Well, one day I got mad. I ran out and ventured out in the pouring rain to buy another EXPENSIVE carton and on the way I said 'what am I doing'? and told myself 'You can do this'. So I went cold turkey...no gum or anything!!

This is how I did it. I never had the urge to smoke in bed. I could stay in bed in the morning or lay down to rest and not even think about smoking. (But let just let me go vertical...!!!). So my secret is...I went to bed for most of the first week and then it got a little easier after that. This may sound totally crazy but, hey, it worked for me. That was 4 years ago and I will be honest and say that there are still times - though seldom anymore - when I long for a cigarette. I wouldn't dare though because I know what would happen.

As an ex-smoker, I would never berate anyone for smoking...I was there for a long, long time myself and understand smokers very well. And no matter how considerate we try to be there are always going to be some turned up noses!

Looking forward to your review Zaandam 2. I've said about all I have to say about the Liberty and even I'm getting tired of hearing 'me'.

Ciao...Hope you and all readers of this had a good Thanksgiving!

WalMart has an excellent item for us smokers. It's called the "Butt Bucket". We have one in each car and we took one on our cruise last year on the Liberty. It reduces the odors and puts out cigaretts in just a few seconds, keeps the ashes where they belong especially if you are on your balcony and it holds several butts. We didn't expect our cabin steward to empty it, because the top is very hard to twist off, but she did it. She thought it was a great idea. They are only around $2.50 and well worth it. We just bought 2 more.

I love these things, i have 6 of em. Fits perfectly in the cupholder of my car also always bring them on a cruise with me. The best thing about them is they are almost covered so you can transport your filled ashtray in your bag or whatever without making a mess until you can dispose of the insides. Boy would i love to have that patent ;-):p

ahhhh you poor smokers......... try living in Canada, you'll soon learn to quit.

Can't imagine having to worry about where I'm going to put my butts, or actually carrying them around in my bag... phew what a stink that would be!

Dont' bother striking a match on me.......... it'll be 6 months this week that I'm clean (after 40 yrs). There's no excuse, you just have to frkn do it!

you know its funny...cause I smoked...I found it helped pass my time at work and relaxed me when I needed it. I found that i ESPECIALLY Loved to smoke while on my cruise. This last cruise, on the way to Galveston, I remember having to stop to buy several packs of cigs to last us until we made our first stop so we could buy more..I smoked the whole trip...woke up early the morning we were arriving back in Galveston....feeling like CRAP...Lungs burned, coughing up junk, I felt REALLY bad...I walked up to the deck over the bridge and watched as we came into the port and told myself "NO More". YOu see im a cop and so not only does it effect my health, but my job performance too. I havent smoked since, and I havent even wanted one. Of course tat has only been alnost three weeks ago, its amazing that i DONT even want one..Pretty cool...GOODLUCK to all you guys out there...Will I smoke again? Probabbly on my next cruise, do I have anything against it? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Do I feel better since I quit?? ABSOLUTELY SO!!!! :)

Archived