Gustavia St Barts

cruzntori

Anyone been here? what to do? Going with RCCL in Feb 05 and they dont have any excursions listed on their website.

No excursions listed for st kitts, grenada, and margarita island either. I have been reading postings for these islands but anything else or other ideas also appreciated.

I am 26 and husband 29. I like shopping, snorkeling, touring history, boating. Husband enjoies to kayak, snorkel, learing tours (learing about sea life).

Thanks

The first thing to remember is this is the home of the US$600 beach towel and the smallest hotel room is US$500/night on season.

That being said, The best snorkeling is at Anse Marechal, five miles from the ship on the opposite side of the island. The second choice is Anse du Gouverneur, on the South end of the island about two miles away.

(Note: most, if not all, beaches on the island are clothing optional).

You'll be able to walk from the dock (past the US$1,000,000+ yachts) to shop in town.

The first bar that you come straight ahead is partly owned by Jimmy Buffet and he has free street parties there about once every two months in the winter. You may also see Whoppie Goldberg, Kris Kristofferson and David Letterman who own homes there.

The closest walkable beach to the dock is Petite Anse de Galet (shell Beach). It had a million shells but was totally destroyed in 1999 by a hurricane, It is being rebuilt but we haven't had a chance to check it out, yet.

Taxis are EXPENSIVE! If you're going to the other side of the island it's better to rent a car.

If you are lucky enough to make it to the other side of the island, there are a couple of great places to eat: Le Ti St. Barth Caribbean Tavern in Pointe Milou. This is the Carlos-and-Charlie’s of St Barths. The other is La Rivage in Grand Cul de Sac. Good food and affordable.

Bring your US$, Traveler’s Checks, Visa, MasterCard and home deed, if you shop, you'll need them. Otherwise, it is a beautiful island that we get to 2-3 times a year on business and just love it.

Have a wonderful time! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Barbados. You are always a great expert and resource! I am not going on the cruise with cruizntori, but I have been to St. Bart's in the past. I didn't know RCCL stopped there. What ship is it? The island is pretty simple, nice beaches, nice french wine , quite expensive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived