Wind Star WiFi question

KatWag

Hi All,

We have our very first Windstar cruise coming up - Dec 16th (Costa Rica). I read in the brochure that they have WiFi in the rooms. Do any of you know how much it is? (We're trying to decide whether to lug DH's laptop along.)

Thanks!

Not a lot of information, but if you look further down on this page, there is the same discussion about the Windsurf and it inlcudes Star rates

We are doing the same trip the week before you and personally, I wouldn't bother with the laptop. Too many things to do outside and I would be surprised if the service is very consistent based on my past experience using wifi on ships in general. Nothing more frustrating then wasting time sitting in your cabin with network service going in and out.

• 4 weeks later...

The best deal costs $100 for 250 minutes. Most expensive is $1 per minute. Go to Reception and charge it to your room. You get a plastic scratch-off card with login & password.

I was on the Windstar for the Barbados/Panama Canal/Costa Rica cruise. The wifi was excellent in the cabin (lowest deck) library and in the lounge. Some days were slower than others but a few times the connection was strong enough to Skype. In general, I was very happy with the service, and grateful to have the internet access in order to deal with an ongoing situation back at the office.

There is also a computer in the library which you can use it to access internet. A lot of people used this in lieu of bringing a laptop. I wanted my laptop for a variety of reasons; GPS tracking, loading pictures for evening slideshows to share over dinner, my music, DVDs, working on my book and of course email.

Almost every island stop on the B'dos cruise had a (cheapish) internet cafe, I don't know about the Costa Rica tour stops.

Enjoy...

Archived