Has anyone changed cruise date after paying in full?

TN Cruise Traveler

We may be trying to change the date of our cruise since my hubby may be available a few weeks later due to an unexpected 2week layoff. Currently he is not sailing with us.

We are hoping that the cruise fairies will let us change the date, if this comes to pass, so that he can join my mom and myself and Holland will have another person paying in a cabin (and to sell drinks, bingo cards, etc. to).

Has anyone every done this and if so, what penalties did you pay? Did you go through Holland direct or travel agent? Any other thoughts?

If you booked through a travel agent, the request would have to go through the agent. I've heard of it being done but I've also heard of times that nothing could be done. There are probably a lot of factors that enter into the decision, such as, do they need the cabin you are booked in to reduce a waitlist and are there several unsold cabins on the date you wish to change to. It certainly won't hurt to try.

The relationship between penalties has all to do with the current date and the date of your cruise.

Since you have paid in full, can we assume that it is now after Final Payment Date or did you, for some reason, prepay? If the latter, there should be no problem.

If it's after final payment date, most likely the standard per passenger penalties are going to apply unless you have a "for any reason" cancellation policy.

Your only shot is if your cruise is overbooked, so it's worth a try. If you made your booking through a T/A, you will need to negotiate a cancel and new reservation with that T/A.

Good luck.

I had paid in full for Nov. 25 cruise on Zuiderdam back in Feb. Then I decided to do the Westerdam cruise on Nov 26 instead. I wasn't charged any penalties. HAL changed the dates and I got a few dollars back due to the fact the Westerdam cruise was alittle cheaper than the Zuiderdam.

I had paid in full for Nov. 25 cruise on Zuiderdam back in Feb. Then I decided to do the Westerdam cruise on Nov 26 instead. I wasn't charged any penalties. HAL changed the dates and I got a few dollars back due to the fact the Westerdam cruise was alittle cheaper than the Zuiderdam.

I am curious. When did you make the change? If the change was made more than 75 days prior to your cruise, HAL will accomodate you without penalty. Once inside the penalty period, it all depends upon proxcimity to sail date and how full the cruise are or not.

A lot of different things to consider. There was three of us booked on a cruisetour/with air for August 18, 2007 on HAL on Zuiderdam. I wanted to change to the Zaandam, same date. I was told there would be a $50 per passenger change fee, and I'm nowhere near the final payment date of June 2. Yet I was able to add a fourth passenger to the existing booking with no fee. So the only way to find out is have your TA inquire at HAL to see what they will allow. ON this board, we can only tell you what has happened to us, not what HAL will decide in your case. They seem to make up the rules as they go. It can be different for each scenario.:p

Just to be clear.....HAL does not charge a fee or impose a penalty for changes or cancellations made before final payment date, regardless if the passenger voluntarily paid in full prior to that date. A travel Agent however, may have fees associated with changes or cancellations at any time. This is something that passengers should inquire about at the time of initial booking.

Changes after final paymnent date are at the discretion of HAL, or any carrier, for that matter. It all depends upon supply and demand of the ships, at any given time. There is logic, but given how full a ship is or not is proprietary information, it might seem willy-nilly to us.

Archived