QE2 in Manhattan

bobby1119

According to the New York Cruise Terminal website, QE2 will arrive at and sail from the Manhattan terminal, not Brooklyn, at the beginning and end of the 2007 world cruise. The website is nycruiseterminal.com.

Bobby, it was 18 days ago that you first reported that the QE2's World Cruise departing NYC 8 Jan 07 would, according to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal official you spoke to, not be departing from the Brooklyn port. The calendar you found from the NY Cruise Terminals (see your link) confirms your earlier information.

It is amazing that Cunard (at a minimum) cannot post this change of ports to their web site or give this information to their representatives. (I presume they knew about this change well before you found out on 5 November).

By the way, does anyone know why the newly opened Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is not hosting any ships for the next six months?

Chris

I just looked at the calendar posted on the referenced web site. Its accuracy is may be questionable, as it shows QM2 in Brooklyn 27 Apr and 30 Apr, but no mention at all of QE2 on 27 Apr at either location.

Dave.

I just looked at the calendar posted on the referenced web site. Its accuracy is may be questionable, as it shows QM2 in Brooklyn 27 Apr and 30 Apr, but no mention at all of QE2 on 27 Apr at either location.

Dave.

Dave, if you open (or download) the pdf version of the April calendar (there is a link to the pdf file on the April calendar page) you will see the correct ship noted for April 27 (i.e., Queen Elizabeth 2 docking at Manhattan). You are correct: the Web version of the April 07 calendar is inaccurate.

Chris

Chris:

Got it, thanks. Didn't occur to me there would be a difference in the data.

Since I'm not a New Yorker, it's only of academic interest (Cunard will provide the transfers to/from airports), but I've only cruised from Manhattan in the past, so am not familiar with Red Hook (and, apparently, won't need to be).

I haven't posted much -- am letting bobby ask all the questions, most of which are the same ones I have. And by the time I join the World Cruise in LA, those who embarked in NY will have the rest of the answers!

Dave

I haven't posted much -- am letting bobby ask all the questions, most of which are the same ones I have. And by the time I join the World Cruise in LA, those who embarked in NY will have the rest of the answers!

Dave

I will keep asking, Dave. Let me know where to meet over a drink when you embark in Los Angeles. Good luck with the final weeks of preparation. Can't believe it is about 6 weeks off!

Bobby

My TA, who is a former Cunard corp employee of more than 20 years, just forwarded me an email she received from Cunard-California. QE2 will sail from Red Hook. Apparently the security and storage issues were resolved. It's a soap opera...Manhattan, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Brooklyn... Tune in tomorrow for the Bayonne episode...

My TA, who is a former Cunard corp employee of more than 20 years, just forwarded me an email she received from Cunard-California. QE2 will sail from Red Hook. Apparently the security and storage issues were resolved. It's a soap opera...Manhattan, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Brooklyn... Tune in tomorrow for the Bayonne episode...

Hi Bobby

I just checked the NY Cruise terminal web sight, http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/sched.html and it still shows the QE2 in Manhattan.

Hi Bobby

I just checked the NY Cruise terminal web sight, http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/sched.html and it still shows the QE2 in Manhattan.

Hi Raphael,

You are correct...QE2 is still showing there as well as on the New York World Ship Society website (http://www.worldshipny.com). My friend is the webmaster and he maintains that the sailing will be NY. After my TA forwarded the email to me, I called Cunard and finally reached Peter Radcliffe's assistant who, after speaking with the little man, said that QE2 would sail from Brooklyn... very arrogant...I was admonished, "Why do you think we built Brooklyn?"

We'll see... carry on with your packing. See you in the Chart Room.

Bobby

Hi Raphael,

You are correct...QE2 is still showing there as well as on the New York World Ship Society website (www.worldshipny.com). My friend is the webmaster and he maintains that the sailing will be NY. After my TA forwarded the email to me, I called Cunard and finally reached Peter Radcliffe's assistant who, after speaking with the little man, said that QE2 would sail from Brooklyn... very arrogant...I was admonished, "Why do you think we built Brooklyn?"

We'll see... carry on with your packing. See you in the Chart Room.

Bobby

So the ship will arrive in Manhattan from transatlantic and repo to Red Hook or arrive in Brooklyn as well? This is important to us as my brother lives on the West Side of NY and was going to meet up. He does not drive and of course does not have a car so that presents complications arriving in Brooklyn.

So the ship will arrive in Manhattan from transatlantic and repo to Red Hook or arrive in Brooklyn as well? This is important to us as my brother lives on the West Side of NY and was going to meet up. He does not drive and of course does not have a car so that presents complications arriving in Brooklyn.

Hi-

I live in New York... born and raised in good old Brooklyn USA and now reside in the Bronx. I would assume she'll be arriving/departing from the new modern Brooklyn Terminal.

To get from the West Side, your brother would take any IND subway to West 4th St and then change to the "F" train to Smith-9th St in Brooklyn. About 45 minute ride.

I like your screen name - I miss my '67 Coupe de Ville!

Cheers!

Michael

Bobby:

This is really starting to become asinine, isn't it ???

I'm coming to the opinion that you just might have to watch the QE2 bridge webcam the morning of January 8 and then head to the correct location based on that !!

I couldn't believe it myself. It is a soap opera. The webcam is the only reliable source of information. I will watch myself the morning of January 8th.

Looking forward to meeting you and your wife.

Best,

Bobby

Cunard are saying Brooklyn - well, reservations in the UK are.......

....With the Queen Mary 2 berthing in Brooklyn, Manhattan seems a sure bet for the January 08 tandem transatlantic...unless one of us is banished to Bayonne!

Looking forward to meeting you on the Tandem Crossing.

PS...have you booked the Queen Mary 2 yet? I was astonished to see that post! :rolleyes:

Best,

Bobby

Bobby:

We're looking forward to meeting you as well !!!

You have a lot between now and April 21 in Southampton, but remember the CC Group (i.e. "Spring Crossing Club") will meet that night (sailing day) at 10 PM in THE CHART ROOM, and then & 7 PM the next day (first day at sea) in the CHAMPAGNE BAR.

Best,

Bobby

Bobby:

You have a lot between now and April 21 in Southampton, but remember the CC Group (i.e. "Spring Crossing Club") will meet that night (sailing day) at 10 PM in THE CHART ROOM, and then & 7 PM the next day (first day at sea) in the CHAMPAGNE BAR.

Bobby:

Tom, I am looking forward to the gathering as there are so many of us. The start of the world cruise is less than a month away now and I am getting both excited and butterflies in my tummy at the same time!

Be well & thanks for welcoming me into the spring crossing club!

The start of the world cruise is less than a month away now and I am getting both excited and butterflies in my tummy at the same time!

Be it a crossing or a cruise on QE2, now is that time - with just a few weeks to go - that it really starts to get exciting and thrilling. Then there is - at least for me - that ultimate thrill of seeing QE2's superstructure and funnel as you arrive at the pier/quay in your taxi on Sailing Day !!

It's wonderful to have something that you're so looking forward to, Bobby !! I'm excited for you !!!:)

The start of the world cruise is less than a month away now and I am getting both excited and butterflies in my tummy at the same time!

Be it a crossing or a cruise on QE2, now is that time - with just a few weeks to go - that it really starts to get exciting and thrilling. Then there is - at least for me - that ultimate thrill of seeing QE2's superstructure and funnel as you arrive at the pier/quay in your taxi on Sailing Day !

You know it's really rather sad. Anteeta in on her way home at the moment feeling sorry the holiday's over (I hope); The group sailing on the 15th can't wait for her to get back so they can go; likewise those of us on the 17th want the 15ths trip to be over quickly and Bobby wants us all to get back as quickly as possible. You can't blame anyone for hoping our our predecessors holidays are over quickly:)

I hate to disagree, but if you follow the link to the Cruise terminal and look at their calendar, the QE2 is scheduled to dock in Brooklyn on January 8th.

Arthur - yes - but until recently it said Manhattan - the issue is that Red Hook is really only in use April-October, so apparently there was some debate within Princess about the usefulness of opening it up for a one-off, when the Manhattan piers are in use year-round. They have decided to open Red Hook.

Peter, Sydney

Archived