kids vacs

paws43tails

i have two adult children whom also have children... one vaccinates her children with the routine child vacs, the other doesn't... because i'm their mother i support both of their stances on the issue... when it comes to cruising though are children allowed to board ships if they haven't been vaccinated?

I don't ever recall being asked for vaccination records on cruises, just proof of ID. My kids were 13 and 15 when they cruised with us.

I don't understand how your grandchildren can go to school without their immunization record being up to date. As much as I'd rather not comment, I don't understand why someone would forego immunizations. Just ask someone with a relative who had polio whether it's a good idea.

Even if the cruise ship would let them board, I am not sure if it is a good idea to take an unvaccinated child outside of the US. Diseases that we have wiped out are still fairly prevalant in other areas of the world, especially the Caribbean.

Call the cruise line and check the answer to be 100% sure.

thanks for the replies... i can't debate the vaccination issue because i don't have the information the parents of the unvaccinated child have... the two of them are attorneys and research everything, plus have a friend who defends parents of children whos vacs have caused life altering reactions... my daughter is the one who vaccinates and she can't understand either, but it's because she doesn't have the information that they do, she just does what she's told... i on the other hand, can see both sides... when mine where young i had them vaccinated because i was putting them in public school and that was what i knew to do... since then i have read so much about vaccines i won't be getting any for myself in the future ie. (flu shot, tetnus, etc.),but my husband has had every shot under the sun because of the military... son and his wife will be home schooling (as she was) and they have facts to defend their standing, therefore anyone who wants to challange their stand will need to come prepared... d-i-l has a teenage brother whos juvenile diabetes is a result of vaccinations... as the parent of the two opposites i just defend their right to choose for their own children...

Not to get in on any debate, but I do NOT vaccinate my daughter and we will be going on a cruise. It is our choice to not vaccinate and we have educated ourselves on the pros and cons of vaccinations and research simply has not proven that they are safe or effective.

A child does not need to be vaccinated to cruise. Nor does a child need to be vaccinated to go to a public school. There are exemptions available to go to public schools without vaccinations.

There are still numerous childhood diseases in the Carribean that have been eradicate here in the states. Living in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area many children come here from some Carribean nations with a childhood illness. I am not stating yea or nay to taking your non-immunized child(ren) on a cruise, nor am I passing judgement on anyone. To be sure consult with the child's pediatrician.

Archived