Acrylic Nails at Home

bjboothman

Has anyone tried doing their own acrylic tips themselves. By doing, I mean applying the tips and acrylic, not just a file and polish. A friend at work who had hers professionally done for years mentioned to me that she found it very easy to do the powder/dip method and does her own all the time. Anyone else do this? Any advice on best practices? Or should I just give up on the idea? I am NOT one who has the time or inclination to go to a salon every two weeks to keep up with fills.

It takes ALOT of practice to get right and, not meaning to sound bleak, but you will likely stuff up at least a few nails.

I'd recommend taking a mini-class if you wanted to do it yourself. I tried to do it years ago and not great result at all. But then again, if you're really good at fiddly things go for it.

Like anything else that takes manual skill, everyone is different. Your friend may just be a little more ambidextrous than you (and me ;) ) and it's something that I would not ever attempt.

However, if you're not able to keep up with them, I'd suggest that you not apply acrylic, whether you do them, or a technician puts them on. To ruin your own nails for just a short wearing is just not worth it, if you decide to take them off soon after. Infections and all kinds of problems can crop up if acrylic nails aren't maintained.

Your natural nail is roughed up so the acrylic adheres to the nail and the natural nail is damaged and will take months to recover. It's not a short term plan, it's very much a long term commitment.

There is nothing wrong with short, well manicured nails, they are very much in fashion.

I have had my nails done for years, and I agree you have to make the comittment. Every two or three weeks you have to have them filled or they will break off. Sometimes I felt like it was this chain around my neck to get them done every few weeks and now I do not wear them. I would say it took almost 2 months for my nails to grow out completely again and gain back thier strenth.

They can be fun, especially for a special occasion as long as you are Ok with giving up a few hours to maintain them every few weeks.

I have had my nails done for years, and I agree you have to make the comittment. Every two or three weeks you have to have them filled or they will break off. Sometimes I felt like it was this chain around my neck to get them done every few weeks and now I do not wear them. I would say it took almost 2 months for my nails to grow out completely again and gain back thier strenth.

They can be fun, especially for a special occasion as long as you are Ok with giving up a few hours to maintain them every few weeks.

I do have to say, when they are maintained they can look very nice, especially when the person is not able to grow their own nails.

I've never had acrylics, but I have had the gel nails before, I wore them for about two years. I eventually had them taken off to give my nails a rest (per instructions of my tech) and never had them put back on again. It's been well over a year now and sometimes I think about it, but not sure I want to go through it again.

I'm not opposed to the look of nicely manicured shorter nails - it just seems that for weeks on end my nails will grow, I take good care of them, keep them nicely polished and trim them so they don't get too long - then, POW, the will all break off and it takes forever to get them looking good again. I do try to wear light and frosty colors, I think it gives the illusion of not being as stubby as they sometimes are.

LOL --- just wondering if Derfette will lend me her husband to come over and do my nails. I hear he is quite the pro!

Ugh - I've tried doing acrylic nails at home and it was a mess. Just don't have the patience. I think it probably depends on finding a good nail tech. Sometimes I too find it a drag to go sit at the salon, but my guy can do my fill from start to finish in around 30-40 minutes, so its just quicker for me that way - and they look fabulous! :D

If time is the reason you want to do them at home - don't. I get mine done every two weeks, it takes about 50 minutes - start to finish. I can't imagine that you could do them any quicker at home. The woman that does mine does a fabulous job, they are just perfect when she is done. It's a real skill to get them smooth and "real" looking. I always get compliments on them. If you really want them, take 50 minutes just for yourself, every 2 weeks, and have them done by someone who is a professional. :D

They aren't difficult to apply and with a bit of practice you can do a pretty professional-looking job

from

http://www.thefrugallife.com/acrylicnails.html

Home Care Guidelines

from

http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/homecare.html

Thanks Derf, just got the best care and maintenance tips from these sites. Legend.

Archived