how long to Gulf of Mexico from New Orleans?

bahia puller

It is also very interesting when you are coming back in heavy fog, having dinner in the formal dining room right by a window and see a barge's lights passing you ... a hair's breath away from you. I know the river is narrow in some places, but pleassse...a little space (or warning) next time!!

• 4 months later...
How fast does the ship travel on the Mississippi?

Not very fast (not sure of the exact speed), but there are lots of turns until you get out to open sea. They even announce that they will be turning alot so to be very careful during that time.

Since it serpentines, I was quite impressed with the skyline of NO fading away, only to pop up in another part of the horizon. I watched it until nightfall and never got bored with the view.

Next day you wake up to those incredible azur waters, and the flying fish getting out of the ships wake at the last moment.

We took the Conquest out of N.O. in '04 and the Sensation out of N.O. the July just before Katrina. The trip down the river is wonderful. Just a really unique experience.

The minute a 7 day cruise sails out of N.O. during the summer months I will book just because of the trip down the river!

My son and I were in our room getting ready for bed when he said, "look how close that boat is!" I looked out the window and it was the Conquest heading back in. It is very neat to go down the Mississippi. We sat out on deck for a while looking for alligators (my son was 5 at the time and obsessed with Steve Irwin).

On the way back, be sure to go on deck around 730 that last night and look at all of the oil rigs. Well, let me say that I went the July before Katrina on the Sensation so I don't know how many of those rigs are left:( .

Guest YesitDonna

I iwsh they would come back with the 7 night cruises as well. They say it's because not enough people are going to NO. Well I'm not going because I want a cruise longer then 5 days!!!! BRING BACK THE 7 DAY CRUISE!!!!!!!

We went on the Sensation the May before Katrina and I remember vividly that we were in the dance club completely drunk and having the time of our lives (hey, it's the last night so we had to live it up a bit) on the last night. When we started making our way up the Mississippi I remember saying to my friends "can you imagine what anyone on the banks of the river must be thinking right now?" I'd love to see from a land-person's view, what the ship looks like coming back up the river in the middle of the night with the disco joint totally hopping and everyone dancing inside. It must be quite the sight!! That was an awesome cruise, and the trip down the Mississippi and back up it is very cool. I will never forget it!

I iwsh they would come back with the 7 night cruises as well. They say it's because not enough people are going to NO. Well I'm not going because I want a cruise longer then 5 days!!!! BRING BACK THE 7 DAY CRUISE!!!!!!!

The NCL Sun does 7 day cruises out of New Orleans. The NCL Spirit will be doing 7 day cruises out of New Orleans in mid-November 2007.

Dave

Archived