Highlights of cruise R638

acdc

While I am still going over our fantastic holiday in my mind, I should write it up!

Boarding was painless, we didn't get on till after 12, and the rush was over. Inspected the lunch offerings and couldn't believe how much choice there was!

Saw the pilot boat alongside the Star, then we were off! Boy the fog blasts were loud.

Our cabin steward had made our bunks into a queensize, which was nice, as we couldn't fall off when the rocking started!

Charming waiters at our table at dinner, really friendly and made us feel like we were special.

Dance classes were a heap of fun.

Noumea:We decided to do our own thing and wandered around coconut Square, bought a couple of baguettes, ice blocks (it was hot!) and some chocolates, then headed up to the Lookout. I decided the steps were too much in the heat, so we meadered around the Latin Quarter and saw some lovely examples of French colonial architecture.

Lifou After a false start, we found our way to the bay where the snorkelling was brilliant. Water was cold to start with, but so clean and clear. Really was glad of my canvas shoes as the rock beds were quite sharp. We walked up to the church, stopping near the top to take pics of the view around the island and of the Star in the ocean - she looked so beautiful! We went back to the ship for lunch, then returned to the island. The 2 men went back to snorkel, while us 2 women took a local tour for $10 each, conducted by 2 lovely girls in a car driven by an older woman. I enjoyed talking to them as much as seeing the local sights.

Port Vila Took a taxi into town, and found the best duty-free shopping at Fung Kuei's Downtown, right at the end of the street. Bought and posted a few postcards at the PO, then went to the bus station and picked a new looking minibus before negotiating for the driver to take us on a sightseeing tour, $50 for an hr and half- in airconditioned comfort. He drove us to Hideaway Island then to the Tanna Coffee factory where we stocked up on freshly roasted beans. Met the owner too, an Australian! Went back to the ship for a late lunch, then wandered around the market till it was time to leave the port.

Home run was a little rough, but not as bad as when left Brissie.

Theme nightsRock n roll night was held in one of the lounges as it was too wet and windy to hold it on the deck, but the Wild West and Island nights were out in the open, really fun, and most of the passengers dressed up for them.

ok cant think of any more highlights to mention...:)

Archived