11-26-06, Maasdam St Kitts

sk8teacher

11/26/06

As we sailed toward St Kitt, this morning was the Walk for the Cure that HAL sponsors. Both Sharon and I had signed up for it. The cost was $15 per person and we received a T-shirt and a wrist band. The walk was scheduled for 8:15, so we didn’t get in our normal morning routine. I did go out around 7:45 and did two slow laps just to warm up my legs.

We went out on deck about 8:10 and waited for some kind of announcement about where to meet. At 8:20 a group of walkers came out from the Atrium and started walking. It turns out that they met inside, got some information about why the walk was happening, a leader was selected and they started as soon as they got outside.

Very disappointing that they didn’t put out the word better about the start. Anyway, that put us about ½ a lap behind everyone else. The total distance was supposed to be 12 laps of the deck, or about 3 miles. Sharon wasn’t doing all that well so she was only going to do her normal 4 laps, while I was going to do the whole walk trying to average 4 minutes per lap.

I didn’t do bad at all. If I had maintained my average I should have finished in 48 minutes, but I took 50 instead. Not bad really. The “leader” was really too fast for the overall group and he passed me twice! But the walk and the cost went for a worthwhile cause and I would do it again.

We arrived at St Kitts around 10:30am, and were cleared to leave the ship around 10:45am. As today was Sunday, with the exception of some shops right at the pier, nothing was open in the town. Sharon and I went in anyway and just walked around and looked at some of the sites.

One of the most interesting was an old Methodist Church. No one we talked with knew when it had been built, but there was a plaque in the wall at the entrance that said it was re-built in 1856-1859. We saw graves dating as early as 1754 so the church must have been there then. It was a very pretty church for it’s age and is in the process of being renovated again.

It does seem like a pretty island, but it was very hot today, and we can back to the ship around 2pm to cool off. We are due to leave around 5:30 – 6pm and most likely will just eat in the Lido casual dinning area tonight.

Archived