Meal Time Chimes

Mark

Do you all remember the chimes that you would hear on ships announcing that lunch or dinner was being served in the dining rooms? What ever happened to those chimes and that tradition? I don't remember hearing them on any of my recent cruises on RCCL or CCL...:confused:

I remember hearing the chimes on the Home Lines and hearing soemthing similar, if not identical on Princess - but can't guarantee it was on all Princess cruises we've been on.

It could just be that the chimes they sound before making an announcement remind me of the dinner chimes...or maybe everything on a cruise ship reminds me of eating ;).

Well I have not sailed on Princess and HAL, but I have sailed many times on RCCL, NCL and CCL and once on Home Lines...I think the chimes disappeared at some time with the new ships since they chose not to put the chimes onboard as an option...the older ships on these lines did have and use the chimes...by older I mean 70s thru mid to late 90s and the Norway. My guess is that some corporate office person thought they were old fashioned and an non-essential option / expense for a ship...too bad...I sort of enjoyed hearing them since I knew what the announcement was about to say!:cool:

In the old days the chimes were as much a part of dinner as was the table settings, service and the food :)

As Cruzman says, just book a HAL cruise, they do still sound the chimes for dinner. Hopefully it doesn't fall by the wayside, as so many of the little amenities are these days.:D

On the Volendam Nov 13 - 23 2006 the chimes were in fact in attendance. DW and I heard them call us to dinner each night while enjoying adult beverages in the Ocean Bar. Funny now that we are home they have stopped. Very nice tradition.

They still have those?? Awsome!!!! :D I thought that was something they had on ships around the time Titanic sailed (and sank :eek: ). I would love that excpet at 22, I think I'm too young to enjoy HAL.

Archived