How Light Can We Possibly Pack?

Rowan555

I've set a goal for myself involving packing as light as humanly possible for our upcoming cruise. We're skipping formal night, which will make things easier (my inlaws do NOT want to dress up, so we're passing this time as well). My goal is to pack one carry-on sized rolling suitcase for our two kids, and one for us, and to also bring on a backpack with toiletries, the kids gameboys, camera, etc. So is this doable, or am I nuts? Any hints or tips for packing super light are much appreciated.

If your Platinum, you can pack very lightly... That is with free stateroom laundry service.... <grin>

Not quite there yet! If the NOLA port hadn't been shut down for so long we'd be close, though! I guess we have some catching up to do, don't we?

I actually wasn't aware of that perk for platinum guests - all I knew about was the VIP check in. Is there anything else platinums get?

We packed relatively light for an eight day vacation WITH formal night clothes, knowing we could do laundry on board. So, plan with that in mind and you can pack half as much clothes wise as you would have. BUT, don't worry so much about packing so little that you end up regretting bringing things while on board. There is no contest, no prize for the fewest/lightest bags brought on board. One more bag is no big deal. And if the kids are old enough, they will think it's cool to roll their own bags behind them!

Have fun! :D

Sorry . . . . not to go off subject, but I'm platnum and wasn't aware of either of those perks. Can someone please tell me more about them? (especially the VIP check-in). Anything that will get me onboard quicker is DEFINITELY a perk:-)

Thanx for any & all replies.

Annie

Sorry . . . . not to go off subject, but I'm platnum and wasn't aware of either of those perks. Can someone please tell me more about them? (especially the VIP check-in). Anything that will get me onboard quicker is DEFINITELY a perk:-)

Thanx for any & all replies.

Annie

Well, our reason for packing really light is that we're on the Riviera Deck and we MUST use self-assist debarkation. Lugging the big suitcases up all those steps is tough, and often getting an elevator is impossible. I'm trying to make getting off the ship as stress-free as possible - I don't want to dread it the whole 5 days!

I'd say the lightest you could possibly pack would be to bring no clothes at all, just stay in your cabin naked the entire cruise and order from room service. You'd just have to wear the same clothes debarking as you did during embarkation. You could even have them cleaned in between if you wanted to go all out.

Hope this helps.:D

Well, our reason for packing really light is that we're on the Riviera Deck and we MUST use self-assist debarkation. Lugging the big suitcases up all those steps is tough, and often getting an elevator is impossible. I'm trying to make getting off the ship as stress-free as possible - I don't want to dread it the whole 5 days!

:confused::confused::confused:: So if your cabin is on the Riviera Deck you have to carry your own bags on debarkation from your cabin?!!!!!!!

We are cruising Ecstasy for 5 days on Jan. 27th, and I have never heard of this rule!!

Why are we penalized for having a cabin on that deck. We paid just as much as others on different decks!

I would guess the original poster is using self-disembarkation for some other reason. Riviera deck is not discriminated against -

We have to pack lightly because we're driving to the port and have to fit it all in the trunk of our car. We have a Dodge Charger with a nice-size trunk, but with a 19yo (6ft, 7in - size 10 shoe) and a 14yo (who wears 2 shirts and a hoodie every day) - DH is trying to restrict each of us to a carry-on size rolling bag and a backpack - We'll see....

Hey Rowan555.

Your going to love the Fantasy! I think you will have an easy off with your rolling luggage. Don't sweat it! We love the Fantasy! We did the last run before she left for N.O.

I noticed your signature ticker- 25 days until Gatlinberg TN. We are heading that way also. Staying with another family in a cabin for Christmas. We've never been to Gatlinberg, and we're really excited.

Have a great cruise!

we once went three days without luggage. Since then I've had little problems overpacking. I always find ways to make my dinner dress mix with night life on non formals and I have mix and match day wear... I just bring all beige and brown.... so only one pair of day sandles. Only black or red for night gowns and dinner dresses so only one pair of black dress shoes..... throw in one pair sneakers for excercise and my luggage was cut by 1/2 shoes alone:eek::D.

I no longer go back to the room and do a total change for tea, I'll throw on a skirt, keep the summer skirt and sandles.... I used to have 3-4 outfits per day with about 10 pair shoes. Two huge bags. now only one... It's amazing what lost luggage can teach you.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I am one of those women who find it virtually impossible to leave my cabin if my sandals (and hair tieback) do not match my outfit.:eek:

I have tried and found that it was simply too stressful to keep looking at my feet knowing that I had the perfect pair of sandals for my perfect sundress but I left them at home:mad:

I also am adamant that I refuse to do laundry while on vacation.

I must change outfits for dinner.

I must have several bathing suits just in case of a sudden bathing suit embargo.

I need more than one pair of sneakers -- what if one pair gets wet? (How are they going to get wet?)

I also need to take 2 windbreakers and a sweater -- just in case of a sudden windstorm (in the middle of the ocean??).

Oh and I better grab a pair of jeans or two -- you never know, the temperature may drop 40 degrees or more.

I am a clothes horse and cannot, cannot, cannot bear to think that I am leaving any of my accessories home.

I need therapy. I have OCD when it comes to packing for a cruise.

P.S. I tend to take home at least 3 outfits and several pairs of sandals that are never worn. But, but, but what if I had needed them.:(

I travel solo and take a 30" rolling duffle bag and one wheeled suitcase for 7 days.

Wear a pair of shoes, take pack one pair and one set of flip flops. The following In one bag:

• 2 T shirts
  • 2 golf shirts
  • 1 pair of slacks
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • 2 pairs of shorts
  • 3 pairs of underwear
  • 2 pairs of socks, one dark one tan
  • one dress shirt and tie
  • one light blazer
  • one swimsuit that can double as shorts
  • minimum Shaving kit, and buy what you need near port at Savon.

Depending on the size of clothes, shoes, this should all fit in one carry on bag. The above with one sweater worn on the way there would work for three weeks assuming you have reasonable laundry facilities available.

RUF

44 changes of clothes for him and me for jan. also some for stay/ocer..lv in car tho..all pressed shrunk, hung n bagged and a new rollie.. I just need all that girly stuff to look "like tot-tally" together..I do not do laundry, nor send it out..13 prs of shoes for 5 days works for me, but winter is upon us , so lots of wear from black pumps w/ shoe clips. blk, wht/brown bottoms, lost of mixed tops..and plenny a baubles, bangles n beads, (bling)n my love for evening bags..Hubby will look rather dapper as well..his day n night costume du jour is computerized, and with my colored hand drawn pix..so no "honey, what am i wearin today"..he loves that Idea//also a ck list for packing.

I am assuming that you do not have to fly to your cruise port? Or else it might be a challenge to get all your liquid/gel toiletteries in your carry on.

I have all these travel clothes that are very light, pack small (with minimal wrinkles when unpacking) and dry fast which really help with keeping the luggage small. I managed to only have a small suitcase for my 2 weeks cruise/land tour and I attended both formal nights with different outfits (and shoes). Of course doing 1 load of laundry mid way through really helped. Definitely need 2 swim suits though so in case one is still wet, you have the other. But you can use that as underwear (woman) or double as shorts (man).

:confused::confused::confused:: So if your cabin is on the Riviera Deck you have to carry your own bags on debarkation from your cabin?!!!!!!!

We are cruising Ecstasy for 5 days on Jan. 27th, and I have never heard of this rule!!

Why are we penalized for having a cabin on that deck. We paid just as much as others on different decks!

Noooo....LOL...they are using "self-assist"....which means you can get off the ship very early if you choose to carry your own luggage...people with early flights or other reasons to get off early do this. Their problem is that thier deck is high up and taking the satairs with alot of bags is a hassle. :)

Noooo....LOL...they are using "self-assist"....which means you can get off the ship very early if you choose to carry your own luggage...people with early flights or other reasons to get off early do this. Their problem is that thier deck is high up and taking the satairs with alot of bags is a hassle. :)

Um, actually, Riviera Deck is the lowest passenger deck. ;)

Um, actually, Riviera deck is the lowest passenger deck. ;)

Um, actually, Riviera Deck is the lowest passenger deck. ;)

Exactly. We're doing self-assist b/c my husband has to work that day, and if all goes well he can be at work by 9:30 or 10 (we have to go home first, then he will leave for work after changing). That saves a leave day, and he will just have to work a bit late. If we were on Empress or even Upper, it wouldn't be that big a deal - but getting from Riviera to Empress to debark with lots of luggage and two young kids is just a bit much. On the Sensation it was futile to even TRY using the elevators the morning of debarkation, so I'm assuming we will need to use the stairs this time as well.

At any rate, just 3 more days until we leave - woohoo! I'll be packing tomorrow night, so hopefully it will all go smoothly. We usually cruise alone - just us and the kids. This time we've got my husband's parents, sister, and brother in law coming along. It's going to be a whole different ball game, isn't it? Ack!

Um, actually, Riviera deck is the lowest passenger deck. ;)

OOPS!!! :eek: D'oh!!! LOL

Even worse dragging them up the stairs.

We did self assist last time....never again...the elevators were near impossible to get.

I make sure I book a later flight for now on.

But I am all for finding ways to pack lighter.

Archived