How Light Can We Possibly Pack?

Rowan555

I've set a goal for myself involving packing as light as humanly possible for our upcoming cruise. We're skipping formal night, which will make things easier (my inlaws do NOT want to dress up, so we're passing this time as well). My goal is to pack one carry-on sized rolling suitcase for our two kids, and one for us, and to also bring on a backpack with toiletries, the kids gameboys, camera, etc. So is this doable, or am I nuts? Any hints or tips for packing super light are much appreciated.

1. go on a nude cruise

2. Buy your clothes onboard and then return them on the last day

3. Only bring stuff that you are going to throw out anyway. Less stuff to take home

Now there are some GREAT ideas! Unfortunately, I think I'll have to come up with something else...

I am trying to pack as light as possible also. I will be hitting both formal nights because I want to get pictures taken of me and my daughter. I decided on a silk pair of pants, which I will wear both nights. Two glitter tops to go with the pants. Now, I am trying to cut back on the other stuff. I figure a couple pairs of short and skirts with shirts I can mix and match. Now shoes are another story. ;) Good luck, hope it works out. Anything is possible!! :)

I am just going to unpack my suitcase, one more time and be one of those great light packers, before we leave on Tuesday morning.

Unfortunately, I think I am fighting a losing battle! I know I won't run out of clothes by packing light but..... what if I want to wear something I didn't pack :(

I think we should take a prize for being the worst packers, our trip to the Med in May included 3 laptops because teenagers didn't want to share with each other and DH was waiting for 1 important email! Hauling 3 laptops with enormous suitcases was a nightmare. Next year I am definately going to put my foot down on this issue!

I left DH to pack his own toiletries, I know this was a mistake when we were unpacking in the cabin and I found a box of 400 Q tips in his case :D Not sure what he was thinking on this one!

I wonder what packing mistakes people made on their cruise?

I remember bringing duct tape, not sure what for except that Cruise Critic members said I should!. I ended up not using it and wondering why I carried it thousands of miles. Didn't bother on the next cruise and wouldn't you know it the zipper on the new suitcase broke, it would zip one way only, so left a possibility that it could open where the 2 zippers met. Had to buy 2 Carnival bags in the gift store to transport the contents home. Much more expensive than a $1 roll of tape!

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

I really should probably stay out of this one given my packing ability and tendancy to have 10 pair of shoes with me as a security blanket but....

Rowan - are you on a 4 day on the Fantasy? Maybe...just maybe....you could do it if you are. But a carry on to carry 2 adult persons stuff baffles me. As for the kids - maybe if they're small little things one carry-on would work. They MUST be wearing the same shoes all week and sleeping in their underwear!

Soccerfan - the Q-tips would be one reason I won't let my dh pack much of anything himself. Three laptops? I'm sticking my laptop in my carry-on next trip to Europe and calling it good. My purse will be large enough to stick the laptop in if I can't get the carry-on with me on the wacky European airlines that Delta has us on. Some day I'm going to buy one of those tablet PC's!

I do admit I take the duct tape but many other things that people post about I have long since given up. I packed a small fan one time when driving to port and actually enjoyed having that in my cabin but did I really need it? Doubtful.

I think to pack extremely light, take quarters for the laundry. Other than that, it never works for me. I do think after 10 cruises I'm taking less each time and when shopping, always keep "fabric that will pack easily" in mind. Now all my clothes are made of lightweight fabrics with an element of spandex and I freeze to death in the winter!

I think a pr of jeans goes a long way cause you can pack several diff tops to go with those..or jeans shorts. I pack one pair leather sandals and one pr black heels/both go with just about everything. My hubby likes khaki pants and they go well with everything..send out for cleaning and voila. His shoes consisted on one dress pr and one pr sneakers. Otherwise tho, was way overloaded but used most except some of the shirts. I forgot duct tape last time but was lucky with no incidence but hope to remember it this time since will have my sons with both their suitcases too.

Rowan - are you on a 4 day on the Fantasy? Maybe...just maybe....you could do it if you are. But a carry on to carry 2 adult persons stuff baffles me. As for the kids - maybe if they're small little things one carry-on would work. They MUST be wearing the same shoes all week and sleeping in their underwear!

It's a 5 day. We're all going to wear the same shoes all week, and my kids DO sleep in their underwear lol! I've packed all of their things and also our swimsuits in one carry-on bag. Now I've just got to see if I can do the same with the grownup clothes! I had a slightly larger suitcase, but it got broken on our Sensation cruise and it wasn't worth the money to fix it, so I tossed it. So that leaves the carry-on, or the BIG suitcase. I just can't deal with the big one and self-assist. We shall see how it all works out. I'm packing Thursday night, so I'll post about my success or failure at this packing endeavor!

The problem with packing light is that your suitcases are usually stuffed to the gills because you try to squeeze everything into smaller bags. I usually bring a carryon size bag that is practically empty so that I have room for souvenirs!:) :)

You can always use the space saver bags so your luggage won't be stuffed to the max. I use those (the kind you roll to get the air out) and it certainly makes a difference in the amount of items you can put in your luggage.

I wondered about those...they don't wrinkle up the clothes a lot?

As someone above said, the space saver bags are great. You can fit a large amount of clothing in one. As for wrinkling- you shouldn't have a problem. As long as you neatly pack the bags your stuff won't wrinkle. If you just throw it in you may have problems though. Also, another good tip is don't fold your clothes but roll them. You can save quite a bit of space by rolling a pair of jeans and several shirts rather than folding them. As a word or warning though, while rolling does save space, if you roll them wrong they will get severly wrinkled. If you know anyone who works at a clothing store they will probably be able to show you the correct rolling procedure.

The problem with packing light is that your suitcases are usually stuffed to the gills because you try to squeeze everything into smaller bags. I usually bring a carryon size bag that is practically empty so that I have room for souvenirs!:) :)

I concur! On the way back from our last cruise, the kind folks at MIA (No, really, they were!) slapped a warning label on one of my suitcases to warn the baggage handlers that it was "Heavy". (yeah, it was about 30 lbs - souvenirs!) Never saw that one before, and the guy who applied it made sure that I knew how he felt about that fact. I think that trying to pack light MAY be an unacheivable goal... It certainly is for me!

It's a 5 day. We're all going to wear the same shoes all week, and my kids DO sleep in their underwear lol! I've packed all of their things and also our swimsuits in one carry-on bag. Now I've just got to see if I can do the same with the grownup clothes! I had a slightly larger suitcase, but it got broken on our Sensation cruise and it wasn't worth the money to fix it, so I tossed it. So that leaves the carry-on, or the BIG suitcase. I just can't deal with the big one and self-assist. We shall see how it all works out. I'm packing Thursday night, so I'll post about my success or failure at this packing endeavor!

Ok, if you've got the kids taken care of then I can help on your stuff. ;) Here is what works best for me....

Fold your shorts as flat as possible and stack. Do the same for t-shirts and other tops. These go in the bottom and middle of your bag. Take your sundresses and skirts and lay them out fully and press flat. Lay them all on top of each other, spreading out all wrinkles, then carefully roll them up. This goes on the outside edge of the suitcase. If your stack is thick, break this up into two rolls. Undies, swimsuits and wraps go on the ends and shoes fit face down (with the soles up) on top of everything else. I have another small carry on that holds our toiletries as well as my purse with docs and a book for the plane.

You can do it! I usually over pack and end up with several things that don't get worn, but I'm prepared for whatever. Enjoy! I'm leaving next week, so I get to start packing soon! :)

I wondered about those...they don't wrinkle up the clothes a lot?

As 'HurricaneAus10' stated, as long as you pack neatly, you shouldn't have any problems with a lot of wrinkling. There will be some wrinkling but I got about the same amount of wrinkling before using the space saver bags. I just make a point to unpack and hang everything right away. I also hang each outfit in the bathroom when I shower and the steam takes out whatever wrinkles are there.

I've set a goal for myself involving packing as light as humanly possible for our upcoming cruise. We're skipping formal night, which will make things easier (my inlaws do NOT want to dress up, so we're passing this time as well). My goal is to pack one carry-on sized rolling suitcase for our two kids, and one for us, and to also bring on a backpack with toiletries, the kids gameboys, camera, etc. So is this doable, or am I nuts? Any hints or tips for packing super light are much appreciated.

Pack 3 swimsuits per person along with 1 coverup/robe. 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of pants, maybe 3 tshirts, 1 nice collared shirt.

Get dressy style sandals so you don't need to bring socks or extra shoes.

Spend all day in the swimsuits hanging out at the pool (I would suggest to save space just bring bottoms and hang out on F-Deck but then there is the monitoring of the kids issue).

You can wear the pants and one of the tshirts on and off to save space. Wear the pants or the shorts on shore.

You could probably getaway with 2 swimsuits, but they are small so you may as well bring 3 each.

You most definitely can-- We did one carry on each for a 12 night Med cruise plus a toiletries bag. We did send some clothes to be laundered half way through.

one swim suit/coverup

Two Skirts

6 tops

two pants

a scrunchy black dress

dressy scarf

casual sandals

dressy sandals

one capri

undergarments

lots of black and white so it was all mix and match--light weight material that packs very small. IT CAN BE DONE!!

It definitely is doable. We packed one carryon plus shoulder bag each for our 12 day Liberty cruise. We will do it again for our Transatlantic cruise next year.

Hubby and I do this for Europe because we usually travel by train before/after the cruise. That and I hate slepping a lot of stuff.

Just make sure every bottom goes with every top. One thing I have gotten away from is having 2 wardrobes, one for day and one for evening. I select tops/bottoms that can go from daytime to dressed up for evening.

Archived