Cruise Mexican Riviera vs. Honduras/Belize

MTV43

Hi,

I am looking for a family cruise for a group of 4 adults and 4 kids (age between 12-15 , 1 is on a wheelchair). Currently, I narrow down to 2 cruises Carnival Pride to Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta, Mazathan & Cabo San Lucas) or Carnival Valor (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Costa Maya). We have never been to any of those places. I am seeking for your input to select a better choice for our group. My family has cruised on Princess and RRC to Bahamas, US Virgin Islands. We also had few inland vacations to Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum. We really enjoy the caribbean side due to white sand/calm beach and great snorkeling. I have been to Acapulco 20 yrs ago, was not impressed with the beach. For those of you have been to all these places, a detail comparison is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MTV

We did the Pride Mexican Riviera cruise in 2004, and the Miracle Western Caribbean cruise in 2006. The Miracle itinerary did not visit Roatan, but did visit the other 3 ports you mentioned for the Valor cruise. Here's my take on it:

We loved both of our cruises. Both ships were Spirit class ships, and we love the layout of that class. I have not been on a Conquest class ship such as Valor, so can't compare the 2 classes of ships.

Our cruises were both in March. The weather in the ports was great on both cruises. There were a few differences, though:

Pride ~ weather was cold in Long Beach, and for the first 2 sea days. Sweatshirt needed. Once we got to the ports it was beautiful, sunny and warm. The water in Mazatlan was nice and warm. The water in Cabo was FREEZING and rough. Last sea day was much nicer weather. We liked the decor of the ship better than Miracle.

Miracle ~ nicer weather during embarkation and all during the cruise. Water warm in all the ports. The beaches are nicer ~ more of the white, sandy beaches than the Mexican Riviera. The water is a gorgeous blue color, prettier than Mex. Riv.

Bottom line: While we loved both of our cruises, and I'm not in any way saying the Pride is not a great cruise, if I had to choose one over the other I would say the Miracle was the better experience, especially as far as the ports of call go.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks everyone for your response.

We are planning to go around June 07. Port of Call is our primary choice, and snorkeling is our second choice. Would Carib is better choice than Mex Riv? One of my concern is our friend's kid is on wheel chair and we want to choose a more accessible Port. Thanks

MTV

We snorkelled in Cabo on our Pride cruise, and we snorkelled in Grand Cayman on our Miracle cruise. No comparison ~ Grand Cayman was much, much better snorkelling!

In Cabo, the water was FREEZING, and there were hardly any fish to see. The ones you did see were just grey or black. I don't know if snorkelling is any better in other Mexican Riviera ports.

In Grand Cayman, the water was warm and clear. There was coral, and tons of colorful fish. It was great! I think all the Western Caribbean ports would be better if snorkelling is on your agenda.

Archived