Inside cabins

albs_99

Hey all,

Are inside cabins as bad as I hear they are? My group of four was originally booked in a four-share outside cabin, but decided to move to 2 twin-share inside cabins for an extra $200 bucks each...

Was it worth the money??? The cruise is 9 nights, so we thought that 4 males on top of each other would get a bit much after a few days...

Any advice would assist...

Thanks,

Albs

Which ship are you sailing on?

The inside cabins on the Star are a bit cramped with four people. The thing that i didnt like was the lack of natural light, i would wake up at 10 and it would seem like before sun rise.

From what i have heard, the rooms on the sun are a bit larger.

Hi Albs,

We had always travelled in inside cabins and never had a problem. On my last cruise we were upgraded to an outside cabin and I have to admit it was nice to have a window and get some natural light.

That being said I think you will be more comfortable in a twin cabin and the inside cabin will be fine. I mean you don't really spend that much time in the cabin and the inside cabins are great for catching up on an arvo nap if you want it (not me, too much to do!).

Some tips for inside cabins we have either discovered ourselves or others have recommended on here:

• Take an alarm clock with you. Make sure it is not one that ticks or you will probably pull out the batteries. Also good idea not to take one that plugs in as it will lose time!
  • Want to wake up with the sun? Put your tv onto the cruise cam channel and turn off the sound. When the sun starts to rise the tv screen will start to lighten up the room.
  • Stretch the ladder out between the top bunks and use this to hang clothes to dry while you are up on deck enjoying yourself (not sure how you do this in a twin share but thought others may be interested).

Anyone got any other tips to add? Maybe we could extend it to tips on cabins in general!!

Cheers,

Charmain:)

After 13 nights it an inside Sun cabin in Feb, I swore I wouldn't do it again. I was back for more in Oct. I don't like it but wouldn't pay heaps extra for a window.

I am sure you will be more comfortable in 2 twins rather than one outside quad. The window is certainly better but I thinkthe space makes up for it. If you are on the Sun the cabins are much bigger than the Star inside.

Albs,

you are in your cabin to sleep and shower. We are in an inside 4 berth in January on sapphire and last year went inside also. I could just imagine 4 males in one room so think yhou have done the right thing getting 2 twins.

Our 4 share is with our children. You would find that all 4 of you wld want to have showers at the same time and that wld be a bit of a problem - only 1 person can fit in the small shower at a time LOL:D

The only problem that we found was that you didnt know what the weather was like but now they have the satellite channel on the TV so you can turn it on and see what the weather is like outside.

Have fun

narelle

• Take an alarm clock with you. Make sure it is not one that ticks or you will probably pull out the batteries. Also good idea not to take one that plugs in as it will lose time!
  • Want to wake up with the sun? Put your tv onto the cruise cam channel and turn off the sound. When the sun starts to rise the tv screen will start to lighten up the room.
  • Stretch the ladder out between the top bunks and use this to hang clothes to dry while you are up on deck enjoying yourself (not sure how you do this in a twin share but thought others may be interested).

Anyone got any other tips to add? Maybe we could extend it to tips on cabins in general!!

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Wish I'd thought of the tv trick, it'd certainly've helped to make me feel less boxed in, and like you said, lighten the room in the AM.

I'd taken a travel clock, but it stoppped working after the first day! So I used my mobile phone clock on the last night, as we had to get out of the cabin by 6 AM.

If you on as a twin, the tip bunks are locked up on the walls. Maybe the steward can ope them up. There is a line in the bathroom.

Our beds were put together as a Queensize, with the 2 lamp tables place on each side. This left us no room to get into bed from the side, we had to get in from the bottom. We found out after the cruise that our friends had moved the beds to one side against the walls by putting the 2 lamp tables together on one side, made enough room to get into bed from one side.

Yes, I think this should be listed in a sticky thread

My 100th post!! (About time too!!):eek:

Personally I don't know how I would handle an inside cabin. I love natural light, and knowing whether it is day or night outside.

I normally place a wakeup call (not sure if P&O has them:confused: ) about 15-20 minutes before I need to get up, as I drift in and out of sleep.

I think the only time I think I'd consider an inside cabin would be if it is all I could afford, after all it is better than not going at all.

When I get my package deals, it is only around $400-$500 difference between an inside cabin and a balcony cabin, so naturally I jump towards the balcony cabin.

I must admit, I do try and sneak a peek inside an inside cabin when I can to see how 'dark' it is in there.:o

Happy Cruising Everyone.:)

We were in an inside cabin on the Sun and also when I cruised on the Fairstar. I didn't have a problem with it and used my mobilephone as a clock under my pillow. However, we (well me - not DH) decided to go for an outside cabin next time. Just decided I wanted the natural light. But I can assure you if an inside cabin is all that's available, I would jump at it. As someone else said, you are there only to shower & sleep - do you really need a window for that?

Karen

I decided this time that 3 cruises in the engine room was enough even though the outside cabins were very comfortable down there. I just felt like playing the snob this time round and booked a balcony on the Sapphire.:D The trouble is I am afraid I might like the balcony too much and not be able to afford them everytime.:(

I just plainly dont do Inside Cabins. If I wanted to be deprived of light and jamed into a shoe box with no sense of time or environment I would take a cruise on a Submarine.

I love my natural light, ocean view and balcony. Balcony's are simply the best ( Even though many argue they wreck the atmosphere of modern cruise liners as sighted by John Maxtone-Graham in his book Crossing and Cruising ) Once youve gone Balcony you can never go back and if you think they cost the earth over an inside there is an incentive to shop that little bit harder for the best deals. Needless to say Cruisecritic is a good place to start.

Go outside anyday over inside cabins. You cant go wrong!

That being said I would be interested to hear what people think of the insides on RCCL ships that over look the Grand Promenade. Thats a very smart way to repackage and get a premium rate for an ordinary stateroom. Any experience stories on that style of Stateroom.

Happy Cruising Everyone....

Novemberbravo1974

I just plainly dont do Inside Cabins. If I wanted to be deprived of light and jamed into a shoe box with no sense of time or environment I would take a cruise on a Submarine.

I love my natural light, ocean view and balcony. Balcony's are simply the best ( Even though many argue they wreck the atmosphere of modern cruise liners as sighted by John Maxtone-Graham in his book Crossing and Cruising ) Once youve gone Balcony you can never go back and if you think they cost the earth over an inside there is an incentive to shop that little bit harder for the best deals. Needless to say Cruisecritic is a good place to start.

Go outside anyday over inside cabins. You cant go wrong!

That being said I would be interested to hear what people think of the insides on RCCL ships that over look the Grand Promenade. Thats a very smart way to repackage and get a premium rate for an ordinary stateroom. Any experience stories on that style of Stateroom.

Happy Cruising Everyone....

Novemberbravo1974

Hi cruisers, we travel .. upstairs, downstairs, inside and out. mini suite and full suite.. whatever is a great deal to us. the main thing is being on the ship. we have found with suites the only real advantages are.. a fridge. flower arrangement,fruit and nibblies, getting off ship in port quickly, 10% discount cards from the boutiques, special cocktail parties to meet officers and larger cabins , but you have paid extra for that . sometimes the weather dictates you can't be on a balcony, and who sits in the cabin all day to look at the scenery ?? not me.

we have travelled on 5 cruises this year ,inside and out and loved every minute without a balcony(.Pacific sun and star.)

If people go on board any ship doubting they will have a good time, they probably won't. for people,travelling on your own, please join in anything e.g trivia, card games etc ... you will meet like wise people

and friendships start.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi cruisers, we travel .. upstairs, downstairs, inside and out. mini suite and full suite.. whatever is a great deal to us. the main thing is being on the ship. we have found with suites the only real advantages are.. a fridge. flower arrangement,fruit and nibblies, getting off ship in port quickly, 10% discount cards from the boutiques, special cocktail parties to meet officers and larger cabins , but you have paid extra for that . sometimes the weather dictates you can't be on a balcony, and who sits in the cabin all day to look at the scenery ?? not me.

we have travelled on 5 cruises this year ,inside and out and loved every minute without a balcony(.Pacific sun and star.)

If people go on board any ship doubting they will have a good time, they probably won't. for people,travelling on your own, please join in anything e.g trivia, card games etc ... you will meet like wise people

and friendships start.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Well said Lorraine. As for the Sun at least, there is no difference in size between outside & inside. Size would have to be more of an influential factor than a window. I'm looking forward to my outside cabin on the Dawn but I must say, if I had to choose between cruising once a year (cheapest) or once every 2-3 years (dearest) I'd pick the cheapest any day.

Karen

Yes by all means please bring on Pacific Dawn ( Ive argued for ages we need a better product than whats being offered Shipwise, And P&O have a Golden Opportunity to get it right big time ( Gavin Smith the balls in your court ) Finally Balcony's and nice Staterooms year round.. Thank You Thank You Thank You. Its an incentive to spend money at home again for a change.

Its a matter of choice at the end of the day. For those of us who only get 1 month maximum every 12 to 18 months to get away on a decent holiday, I guess the issue of dropping some extra cash for a better cabin is not such an issue. I would love to be going cruising all the time but simply cant mostly due to work life.

Ive sailed inside but its like being in a closet. I dont care how big or small the cabin is but really four walls no natural light no thanks. Oh I do agree with the point if its the only cabin left and its a cruise you just have to do for some unique reason ( Maybe Ports of Call etc ) then well it is worth the suffering ( If you could use that term when talking about cruising ).

Happy Cruising

Novemberbravo1974

We've sailed both inside (Pacific Sun) and outside (Sky/Star), and I prefer the outside.

I found that I was a lot less dis-oriented on board the ship when we were in an outside cabin, becuase I had perspective when leaving the cabin - I could look out the window and see which way we were travelling, and I was better able to get my bearings and go where I wanted to go. On Pacific Sun I often found myself heading off from our cabin in the wrong direction because I didn't have that reference.

Having said that the reason we sailed inside on Sun was that we got it cheap, and if a similar opportunity arose again I certainly wouldn't say no.

Kym

Yes I agree. Personally I prefer the outside, like Skyrules said you always have that reference of which way you're facing, and it's nice (especially in the top bunk) to lie in bed looking out the window at the waves.

I think it's worth paying the little extra for the outside cabin. But having said that, inside is still better than not at all!:)

Funnily enough, sometimes I've dreamt that I'm on a cruise and don't have a cabin at all, I just have to sleep on a different sun-lounger each night and hope no-one notices!

I lived your dream Riffraff...when I was on the Fair Princess and the air-con continually broke down most of the cruise was spent sleeping on promenade deck even though I had an opening window in the cabin. I just thought it a great excuse to wake up with the ocean right there.

I lived your dream Riffraff...when I was on the Fair Princess and the air-con continually broke down most of the cruise was spent sleeping on promenade deck even though I had an opening window in the cabin. I just thought it a great excuse to wake up with the ocean right there.

Umm it was because of the air conditioner you say!!!!:D :D

Archived