Crown Bay-Red Hook Need Info

chapdaddy

I have waited until several Princess Ships had docked at Crown Bay before asking this question. We have a stop there in January and have to get from Crown Bay to Red Hook for a tour. We are coming from a foreign port so there will be a customs issue that may slow things down. I have read some about the taxis/buses that are inside the gate, and about the taxis outside the gate. I have also heard that the Taxis outside the gate are more likely to drive you directly to Red Hook. Here is what I am asking: What is the best way to get to Red Hook with little or NO stopping along the way, and if you have done this what was the cost? Thanks!!

If time is an issue, then go outside the gates and grab a cab. The ones that are inside the gate are open air "buses" that you have to wait for the whole thing to fill up before they leave and they usually go to the shopping area.

We took a private cab from the shopping area to the ship and it cost $4.00 for two of us. The open air buses were $4.00 per person.

When the ship docks, you will really need to go outside TWO sets of gates - the first is in the port where you walk out to where the closed shops and the open air buses are. Continue past that to the street (and past another set of gates) - that is where you will find other cabs waiting.

We have the same concern. I went to the St. Thomas thread under ports of call. There are many opinions and lots of advice. Based on what I have read I plan to go outside the gate. I do not want to feel pressured to join others on a bus, do not want to be late for our excursion, do not want to stop unexpectedly to pick up or drop off others and want to ensure that we will be picked up for our return to port. It was suggested to me by a Princess excursion rep that we advise the excursion desk that we have an early tour planned. They will apparently accomodate your time frame. Hope this helps.

Wanting to know the answer too.

Everything I read on the St Thomas board points me in directions I dont want to go-- taxis will only take me to Charlotte Amalie where I have to take another cab to red hook. Sounds like too much work and too much of a chance of missing the ferry--which only runs every hours.

If I dont get good information now--Illl count on you to let us know when you get back---PLEASE.

as of right now I booked a st Johns tour through the ship/

Here's the Crown Princess way in the background

I can hardly believe you had a view from your holding cell. I'm glad they let you out Bob! I would never ever ever believe that they would have throw you into lockup for under drinking. A crime yes.....but you just don't fit the M.O. for that crime!

Miss your fun Buddy!!!:D

I have waited until several Princess Ships had docked at Crown Bay before asking this question. We have a stop there in January and have to get from Crown Bay to Red Hook for a tour. We are coming from a foreign port so there will be a customs issue that may slow things down. I have read some about the taxis/buses that are inside the gate, and about the taxis outside the gate. I have also heard that the Taxis outside the gate are more likely to drive you directly to Red Hook. Here is what I am asking: What is the best way to get to Red Hook with little or NO stopping along the way, and if you have done this what was the cost? Thanks!!

There are open air bus type things that go to Havensight Mall, Red Hook and Coki Beach. Red Hook and Coki were $10 pp each way. I think the mall was $4.

We took a private taxi back to the ship from coki beach and he charged us $9 pp but they drop you off outside the gate as a lot of them are not licensed taxis but just people with mini vans. You can probably haggle a little bit with the non taxi guys on your trip back from the beach.

I was hoping to avoid the waiting for a full load type of event. Probably will go with a cab outside the gates and pay what it takes to get to Red Hook on time. I will post what we end up doing and our take on it after we get back. We will also miss the Havensite stop as in the past.

Archived