"Haggling" Tips

parentsof5

You know we are going to do some shopping! I'm a pretty good haggler here at garage sales and things but am wondering if there are any tricks to it in Coz. Will mostly be doing souven's for kids - junk jewelry, tshirt, daughter wants a poncho, etc.

First off, leave the main drag and big shops and go back away from the plaza about the blocks. Shop at the little shops. They don't get as much traffic as those that are right there on the main street. Don't worry. Cozumel is very safe and the people are very friendly.

Secondly, if you haggle at garage sales you already know the drill. Offer them less than you're willing to settle on and you should get pretty close to the price you're willing to pay.

The key, really, is to shop at the smaller "off the beaten path" shops.

Many of the ports that hit Mexico, hits Progresso too. It is in Mexico not far from Cozumel and Belize. In fact the Carnival Elation goes to Belize, Cozumel, and Progresso.

As far as haggling prices in any Mexican port, I usually start out at about half the price. If they don't come down on the price much, start losing interest and walk out. They usually try to make a deal when you act like you're going to walk out. Except at the main drag where the mall and main shopping areas are. Some of them would not haggle at all. But when I left the main shopping area, I got some really good deals. And I never felt unsafe either. Cozumel is a very safe and friendly place. I probably wouldn't say that about all of Mexico, but Cozumel is very nice. They have to be, or the tourists wouldn't come. Just start out at about half price and you'll be amazed at the deals you'll get.

Archived