Diving in Belize

coevan

Any opinions on whether to use the ships shore excursion or book on the internet. I am not a nervous Nelly, and have had great experiences with private companies, saving money as well. Has anyone booked a dive trip in Belize with CCL?

We just dove Belize and booked through the ship... Carnival Miracle. The ship used Hugh Parkeys for the dive op and they were GREAT. The problem with Belize is that the ship anchors pretty far out, so the tender ride is a long one. I, too, am not a worry nelly, but in this case I went with a sure thing.

Have FUN!!! I wish I was there again.

I found Hugh's website on a scuba search. When I saw he was about $150, I figured he was the ship's guy. Most of the dive companies charge around

$90 pp for a 2 tanks dive with BC and reg. I noticed Hugh charges extra for BC and Reg. The problem is the tender and Belize City is not where most of the dive shops are located. Might have to go with the ship, I'll keep searching.

Normally I do not dive through the cruise ship. In the case of Belize City use the cruise ship. They normally use Hugh Parkey and yes this is expensive diving. He comes right to the ship, you hop on, do diving, and he brings you back to the ship. You enjoy the experience.

Henrywl is right....going with the ship's excursion if you want to dive in Belize while on a cruise is the best way to go.

**Really the "best" way to dive in Belize is from a liveaboard for a week, but that's a whole different topic. ;) **

If I email Hugh will he just tell me to book with the ship? What are his 2 dives like? I don't like dive shops charging extra for BC an reg, it's always included. I guess for convenience and speed I might consider the CCL excursion. My wife only resort dive and snorkels, our charter sail boat trips, she just follows my son and my bubbles. What time does Hugh get back to the ship? Time for lunch with the wife?

KacCruiser- I exchanged a few emails with Seasports and visited their web site. Thank you, They only charge $110 with equipment. Hugh, through CCL shore excursion charges $155 pp. Seasport also drops you off back at the tendered Miracle after the dive.

Glad you hooked up with Seasport. It's been just 4 years ago, but we did our first blue water dive with John & Seasport. We went out in a small 6-pack thru the mangroves and out to the reefs. It was a great time. Not sure if they still do it now, but they even provided lunch. We stopped at a small spot of land the fisherman use for fixing lobster pots & gear, and ate. Then went back out to do our 2nd dive. I actually think we saw more on those dives, than we did the time we used Hugh Parkey and went out to Turniffe. (Although HP runs a good op, and has nice big boats.)

The other thing with Seasport that I remember was we used a credit card, and the cost was higher once it hit our CC bill due to taxes, or exchange rate or something .... so these days we pay everyone in cash pretty much!!

Hope you have some great diving!!!

Archived