11-27-06, Maasdam, San Juan

sk8teacher

11-27-06, San Juan

We arrived in San Juan at 7am. By the time we got through “immigration”, it was almost 9am. We did not book any tours here primarily because we didn’t have enough time to do a tour and look around old San Juan.

We walked down the pier and into town. On the way out, we got a walking tour map and decided that was what we would do. During the walking tour, we saw quite a bit of old town including the two forts, a beautiful old Church, and Ponce DeLeon’s home while on the island.

As hot as it was, we finished up the walking tour around 10:30. Sharon wrote out a couple of postcards to Justin and Meagan and after mailing them at the post office, we went back to the ship.

We had planned on going up to the Thermal Suite but everything was shut down. It seems that there was a minor run of gastrointestinal virus was running through the ship. Even the hot tubs by the Lido pool were shut down.

We took a quick swim in the pool while it wasn’t busy, had lunch and went back to the room to relax before our dinner in the Pinnacle Dinning Room tonight at 6pm.

The next two days are at sea as we make our way back to Norfolk. Overall we have really enjoyed this cruise. Perhaps when I retire we will consider one of the 35 day Northern Atlantic cruises we have seen. We shall see.

Updated. Just finished our meal at the Pinnacle Dinning Room. Service was very good, atmosphere nice. I opted for their Salmon dish, and my wife tried the Shrimp Scampi based on their recommendation. The salmon was excellent, and obviously a dish the chef could prepare well.

The Shrimp Scampi however was disappointing. Three extra large shrimp, cut in half and flattened out, with a bread crumb "dressing" on top, and a small bowl of melted butter. The shrimp were very hard to get out of the shell, and the dressing really didn't do much for the overall taste. To their credit, they immediately detected that my wife was not happy with her meal, and did offer to bring something else. But, at that point we were not going to wait for another meal to be prepared.

Our overall impression is that while an excellent dining experience to do once, we would not do it again, especially for the cost. To be honest, I have had just as good service and better meals locally in the DC area for the same price.

Our meals in the main dining room (in our opinion) were just as good, and the service was excellent.

Take care everyone, and I will be back on line again after we dock in Norfolk.

Cheers!

DW and I did this ship/itinerary last year and loved it. Have really enjoyed your day by day reviews. Fun and enlightening. We have friends onboard who are taking their first cruise and hope they have had as good a time as you apparently have.

Re: Pinnacle. After our first meal there in 2004 at which DW had the Halibut and found it less than satisfactory, I hunted down the head chef and asked him about it. His reply was, in essence, "It's a steakhouse. Do not order fish in a steak house" (said charmingly). Every single steak we have had there has been perfect.

Oh well.

Safe trip through the Bermuda Triangle!

MarkB

I'm right there with ya Astigirl. This post kinda scares me, especially since the person I am going with already has stomacch problems (not noro related). I hope neither of us end up cabin-ridden on this trip (nor anyone else).

And thanks for the posts about the trip. I have been keeping track of them all so I can know somewhat what to expect. Hope your sea days on the return trip go well.

Archived