Does a certain cruise director really make a difference????

We leave in less than 2 weeks for our Glory cruise. I have read that John Herald is now the cruise director for this sailing. Everything I've read about him has been so positive. So, I'm excited to be sailing with him, but does the cruise director really change your cruise experience?

Michelle

I'd say it depends on how involved you are in the activities where the CD and his staff are present. Our CD on the Legend was forgettable. I can't even remember his name now. He was embarrassing in the way he treated his staff and they were a lot more fun than he was for the entire cruise. John Heald consistently gets high marks from cruisers. Have fun!

Not me. Although, I might change my mind if I cruised w/John Heald, I've heard so many nice things about him.

Maybe because I've had so many so-so CDs, they just don't make or break my cruise. I rarely see them, anyway, but there was ONE very irritating guy (Dave Hee-Ha-Ha)..... The CD on my last Holiday cruise was Risa Barnes - a great improvement. Very nice, very friendly, and she was all over the ship tallking w/folks.

I'd have to say "yes." We had a lousy CD and staff on the Victory back in 10/2002 and I can still picture him and just cringe! He lacked leadership obviously or the staff probably would've had a better attitude too. I believe we liked 1 Member of the crew that week and that's just not acceptable in my book. My first cruise with Carnival on the Destiny in the mid 90's, I still remember how great the CD and staff were...

I would have to say yes. You are so lucky... I have cruised with John Heald twice, and he is wonderful. Even though I have heard all of the jokes 15 times, he makes them funny. Please please go to the bedtime story, and the newly wed not so newly wed game. You will laugh your hiney off...

It would be pretty hard for a "bad" CD to ruin my cruises. I will say that a good one can make it even more fun. If I don't like them, I just tune them out. If I do like them, I look forward to anouncements, shows etc. even more.

I've never sailed with the famous John Heald. The best one I ever had was Mark Price on the Elation back in 2001. My least favorite was on the Destiny last summer. I think his name was Jorge.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but the CD doesn't make or break my cruise but haven't had a bad one. We sailed on the Triumph in March 2003 with John Heald and he was fine. To me, no different than our CD on the Celebration years ago.

We sailed on the Miracle in May and had Todd Witmer for our cruise director along with Tim, Karl with a K and Tex. They were just fantastic!!!! They really made our cruise alot of fun. This was my fourth cruise and I honestly can't tell you anything about the other CDs so they must not have been too fantastic!!!!

I think that a cruise director makes the cruise more enjoyable. However, my cruise will not be ruined because I didn't like him/her. I loved Mark Price, Greg Kneale, Steve Cassel, and Sarah Walker(She was a social host, but would definitely make an excellent cruise director).

I don't think it matters all that much, at least not for me.

I understand John Heald has a terrific following and I've never been graced with his talents, so maybe I'd feel differently about it then. I doubt it.

I've had Greg Kneale on my last 3 cruises (all on different ships, ironically) and he is fine. Very good. Even though I posted while on my latest cruise that he was "predictable". Had a conversation on the ship with him about that comment while on that cruise, and he later told some different jokes at one of his shows commenting that he "....didn't want Gary to think he was too predictable......". A good sport, even though my comments weren't meant as a criticism at all.

I think with Carnival, at least, there are so many 1st time cruisers that it really doesn't matter that they repeat their jokes or skits (Greg Kneale also does the bedtime story and the Not-so-newly Newly Wed Game), I enjoy the "newbies" rolling on the floor laughing their a**es off, so I'm sure its infectious when I end up laughing also.

I'm not that big a social animal, and after 12 cruises, I seldom go to the introductory talks or the embarkation talks, I don't play bingo, and I'm not into excursions. This latest cruise on the PRIDE was probably the first time in several cruises that I even saw any CD around the ship mingling with the paxs. Greg is very gregarious (sorry:D) and electrifying and I can see why he has the position he has.

Incidentally, I remember very well, telling all my friends about the 80-year old Baptist minister that made "whoopee" to his wife on the Lido deck at 3:00 in the morning, also ! ! :D

The cruise director can be very funny, very annoying, very personable, etc. But, it's all still going to be a matter of your personal taste. So, the CD doesn't make or break my cruise ... just one more element to the whole experience. Of course, I've yet to sail with John Heald. Once you've experienced something special, it's tough to go back to something ordinary!

Personally I would love to cruise with John Heald just once to see what all the comments about him are about. I personally do not think a CD can MAKE or BREAK an experience.... it is really what YOU put into it. They are just the icing on the cake. To expect that their actions would ruin your vacation is terribly unfair.

I have cruised with Steve Cassel ( our first and most memorable) he was just so nice... and from our hometown too so there was a connection.

Greg Kneale is my favorite so far.... just so funny and he did have me in stitches for bedtime story. Troy I liked, he was very personal but sort of aloof, though he was extremely kind to us when he found out we were cruising the week after a very devastating fire in our area. My hubby thought he was "stiff", but it hink it was more just plain fatigue.

So far the best social hosts are Sarah (what a sweet heart). Loved her bingo, and the dynamic duo of Karl with a K and James, who ran Survivor on the Pride. Those two were almost more fun to watch than my husband gagging on bananas, (he probably could have eaten Giant Hissing Cockroaches faster... heh after 2 drinks of the day I WAS a bit drunk)... Karl and James were by FAR the most personal two social hosts I have met so far. The two played off each other like a well honed team. They cracked us up at the shipbuilding and dolphin races as well.

I always admire (greatly) the CD and his hosts as it is extremely hard to be on 26 hours per day (they work nonstop) and recall faces and names in an endless sea of people. I think people expect too much sometimes and forget just how overwhelming that job must really be. I cannot imagine having to give the same talk every week for months on end. They are all terrific in my book.

I am looking forward to Jeff Bronnnnnnnsoooonnnn I have heard much good about him as well.

Heres to the CD's and their staff!

Nancy

I think having a good CD is just icing on the cake. If you don't get a good one, it doesn't take away from your enjoyment of the cruise, but if you are lucky enough to get a great one (like Todd Wittmer) then it can make your cruise that much more fun. :)

I am looking forward to Jeff Bronnnnnnnsoooonnnn I have heard much good about him as well.

Nancy,

Actually, Jeff Bronson is a CD I actively try to make sure I will never, ever, ever have again. That man had me looking for lifeboats every time he opened his mouth starting the day we left port. *shudder* Folks have different tastes, though, so your mileage may vary.

I had Matt Goodwin on my last cruise, who is from the UK, and he was truly delightful. The humor was very dry british style, and in my mind did a great deal to redeem Carnival Cruise Directors in my mind, after having Bronson inflicted upon me on the prior cruise.

Furry

I have to say that I really don't pay that much attention to the CDs, so no they definitely don't ruin my cruise. Apparently they pick the entertainers that appear on the ship, so they may have more impact on a cruise than I realize. I don't participate in the on-board activities (do my own thing instead), but I do enjoy the musicians more on some ships than on others. Since the CDs choose who performs on their ship, that does impact (slightly) my enjoyment of a cruise. However, I have yet to have a BAD time on a cruise. And I hate to say it, but they ALL have the same schtick--I'm to the point now where I can predict what they'll be saying & what jokes they'll be telling during the various talks.

I will say that they don't get any worse than Brett Alans!

OH My..that man drove me nuts!!! However, I loved his assistants. Chris was just too cute with British accent (Yeah, Baby) and the other ran Karaoke..can't remember his name off hand but he was very lively!!!! Loved the woman!!

A good cruise director vs. a not-so-good cruise director will be VERY noticeable when it's raining for the 3rd day in a row, and everyone is upset about missing need-to-see ports of calls!!

I will say that they don't get any worse than Brett Alans!

Oh yes, he was the worst. Well....maybe the second worst. The worst one that I had was on Paradise, can't remember her name. Neither of them affected the enjoyment of my cruise.

I don't think the cd will make or break the cruise for you, but a good cd can make the cruise a lot of fun. Greg Kneal and John Heald were both very funny and enjoyable. I have had a couple that I can't remember their names and they were kind of just there. We just got off the Legend with Brett Alans. He was only ok, kind of annoying. He has been a cd for a long time so I guess someone must like him but definitely probably my least favorite so far.

OK, all of these comments have me wondering... how do you find out in advance who the CD will be on a particular cruise? Especially given how long in advance a lot of us tend to make our plans...

Does anyone know who the CD will be on the Elation on January 15, 2005... and any opinions on him (hey, and another thought - are they all guys???)

Archived