Miguel's Gentle Horses

CrusinAgain

Any recent riders? How was it. There is so much about Randi and not much about Miguel.

Thanks!

Hi, we went riding on Miguel's horses with Miguel & his wonderful sidekick Polo on Sept. 28th, 2006. There were 8 of us including my 6 year old daughter (was 5 when we rode) who insisted on a horse of her own which of course she got! Miguel picked a small lazy-eyed gray horse out for her and that horse with my daughter on it never left the tail of my horse the whole wonderful ride up that long beautiful beach with palm trees. We all really enjoyed that ride very much and I can not say in words how great

Miguel & Polo were with us. After the ride we went to Molokay restaurant where we all ordered the shrimp platter. Other than delicious and very big jumbo shrimp it is hard to describe. I would do the ride anytime just for another chance at those shrimp. We booked the ride through King David 3 months in advance. In fact he in person met us at the terminal with his cute little turtle sign and from there off we went and within 30 minutes we were mounted on our horses. I can not speak for Randi's never done that but I sure do recommend Miguels with King David.

I want to go back there & soon CruzinPam

Hi, we went riding on Miguel's horses with Miguel & his wonderful sidekick Polo on Sept. 28th, 2006. There were 8 of us including my 6 year old daughter (was 5 when we rode) who insisted on a horse of her own which of course she got! Miguel picked a small lazy-eyed gray horse out for her and that horse with my daughter on it never left the tail of my horse the whole wonderful ride up that long beautiful beach with palm trees. We all really enjoyed that ride very much and I can not say in words how great

Miguel & Polo were with us. After the ride we went to Molokay restaurant where we all ordered the shrimp platter. Other than delicious and very big jumbo shrimp it is hard to describe. I would do the ride anytime just for another chance at those shrimp. We booked the ride through King David 3 months in advance. In fact he in person met us at the terminal with his cute little turtle sign and from there off we went and within 30 minutes we were mounted on our horses. I can not speak for Randi's never done that but I sure do recommend Miguels with King David.

I want to go back there & soon CruzinPam

Thank you! :)

Any recent riders? How was it. There is so much about Randi and not much about Miguel.

Thanks!

I have known both Randi & Miguel for many years now. Both very nice people and both with very fine horses on Stone Island. The main differences is Randi's native language was English and since she has been on the Island with the horses she has managed to make a lot of friends through the years and they help her. Miguel a native of Stone Island ( he was the Island's sheriff for many years by the way) can only speak a little English thus not able to communicate with his English speaking guest, thus not acquiring as many friends as Randi. He has improved his English and now with his new sidekick Polo (also a native of Stone Island) the English problem has been resolved for Polo's English is very good.

Apart from the Language difference they take there guest to a different restaurant. Randi's to Victor's and Miguel's to Molokay. I use to be a great fan of Victors until last September when I discovered the big jumbo shrimp at Molokay and their general service and other comforts such as super clean restrooms and lots of palapas under palm trees. Both have good food and good service with prices about the same. Molokay has been on the Island now through 3 generations since 1954. I am not sure about Victor but not nearly that long.

Hope this info helps Gracias MazatlanMike

Thank you Mike. That was very helpful to know some background.

Do they each have their own horses or do they share the same horses from a ranch. It really doesn't sound like you can go wrong with either.

They each have their own horses. Miguel has been working with horses his entire life and for this I would say his horses are more suited for this than Randi's. The main big difference I see between them is Randi very seldom goes on the ride and Miguel a expert handler of horses is always with the riders on his beautiful horse called "El Jugete" or "The Toy" in English. If any horse acts up or a rider has a problem he is right there to handle the problem. They told me what happened once when there family was riding together on a Sunday afternoon and a wasp stung the horse Miguels 11 year old son was riding and the horse took off running and quick thinking Miguel on his much faster horse caught up to his frightened son & horse and pulled them to a stop. Things can happen anytime & for me I would feel safer with Miguel for I am not an expert rider by any means.

Hope this puts a little more light on the subject MazatlanMike

We have ridden with Randi 3 times now - as well as many CC members. She does not ride as much now because of vertigo but her crew - family she calls them - will be with you through the entire ride. I don't know about Miguel but I think there is a reason Randi has such a following. She has had a love of horses her entire life and she is a hoot to boot! Would not go with anyone else. Last time we rode my daughter and another teen had their S&S card and my DD had her drivers license in the lanyard around their necks. Somehow they bounced out - her crew went back and found them. Would not take a tip either.

We have ridden with Randi 3 times now - as well as many CC members. She does not ride as much now because of vertigo but her crew - family she calls them - will be with you through the entire ride. I don't know about Miguel but I think there is a reason Randi has such a following. She has had a love of horses her entire life and she is a hoot to boot! Would not go with anyone else. Last time we rode my daughter and another teen had their S&S card and my DD had her drivers license in the lanyard around their necks. Somehow they bounced out - her crew went back and found them. Would not take a tip either.

Thank you for your comments with your experience. :)

Your very welcome. You will enjoy Stone Island so much. The first time we went to Mexico we took a ship tour and it was "get on the bus, get off the bus" type thing. When we went to Stone Island it was a true getaway with a beautiful beach and friendly people and good food. Enjoy.

We were just in Mazatlan and on Stone Island a couple of weeks ago and of course, rode with Randi.

There is a hotel going up on the beach, I'm sorry to say. Not a big one but enough. For you that have been there, it's just past the last restaurant. I think Tony, Randi's head guide, says it will be about 30 rooms.:( 30 too many for me:eek:

I did ask Randi and she has no idea who Mazatlanmike is but really in the long run, who cares about that.

Have a great time where ever you go and smooth sailing,

Dorothy:)

Hi - Would someone please tell me how to get in touch with Miguel's horseback riding? I would like to book and will be there the week after Christmas December 27th.

Thanks for your help.

2Scots

Hola: There are many ways. Below I believe will be the easiest ways.

Via E-mail-- kingdavid@mzt.megared.net.mx

Website----- http://www.mazatlangolfking.com.mx

Website----- http://www.mazinfo.com/mikeshorses/index.htm

Those should work for now. I think e-mail would be the fastest. When I talked to their office on Saturday the secretary told me they are in the process of changing their website and all their E-mail addresses sometime very soon.

Hope this helps MazatlanMike

Hi - Thank you for the information on the horseback riding on the beach with Miguel's. I have already sent an e-mail and am just awaiting a response.

Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas!

2Scots

2Scots, since you are going before us, would you please let us know how it was when you get back? I received confirmation from him within 24 hours of making a reservation.

Thanks much and enjoy your cruise! :)

We were in mazatlan last wed.We did everything on our own.we got off the ship and went outside the gate took a taxi to the water ferry which cost 30 pesos ($3.00 us)across the harbor to stone island once there we took short taxi ride less than 5 minutes to beach area we walked all the way down the left of victors to molokay rest/beach area they told us it is called playa sur.We sunbathed and ate lunch .We then decided to go horseback riding i asked how much they said 5.00 us each.It was miguel.He was very attentive there were 6 of us it was awesome riding on the beach then through a path.It was my first time riding a horse he was real easy going.We saw randi she came galloping through on the beach miguel yelled a big hello to randi she waved back.I want to thank mazatlanmike for his perfect directions to stone island it was a perfect day in every way thank you again .

We were in mazatlan last wed.We did everything on our own.we got off the ship and went outside the gate took a taxi to the water ferry which cost 30 pesos ($3.00 us)across the harbor to stone island once there we took short taxi ride less than 5 minutes to beach area we walked all the way down the left of victors to molokay rest/beach area they told us it is called playa sur.We sunbathed and ate lunch .We then decided to go horseback riding i asked how much they said 5.00 us each.It was miguel.He was very attentive there were 6 of us it was awesome riding on the beach then through a path.It was my first time riding a horse he was real easy going.We saw randi she came galloping through on the beach miguel yelled a big hello to randi she waved back.I want to thank mazatlanmike for his perfect directions to stone island it was a perfect day in every way thank you again .

Hola NJ; Super happy it worked out for you and thank you also. I really do enjoy this.

Thank God for Stone Island MazatlanMike

I was there also and can tell you it was not Randi riding. She has vertigo and does not ride. The thing in Mazatlan, you can yell a name and somebody is gonna wave and say Hola.:confused:

We have been here about 6 times just this year alone cruising on almost every line. Not real fond of Carnival. Too much glits and no glamor for us. We like the calmer ships like HAL and we love the Mercury. Just real low profile ships. But trust me that was not Randi. :D

Glad to hear whoever it was, was being genuine

Happy to know you had a good time. The Island is wonderful however I hate it that they are putting a hotel on the beach there. It would not be the same if there were hotesl on the beach. It is bad enough that there is now a moble home park there.:(

After 20 years of going to the Island I'm not liking the changes much. They are making a mess of how pristine it used to be.

Oh well, money rules even on the Island. We are considering not going there anymore, not that anybody cares. All they care about, well some of them, is $$$$$ and to heck if they mess it up for us that liked it the way it used to be.:(

We'll just have to find another place to go maybe Playa Brujas which, from what I have heard it still reasonably pristine.

Still like to know who Mazatlan Mike is.

Trying to steal business from Mazatlanfrank??? Not gonna happen. What a copy cat.:eek:

Just my thoughts,

Dorothy

You did not see Randi riding - she does not ride anymore. I think Dorothy is right, there is some advertising being done here by Miguel and his staff. That is Ok though - Randi has the product that delivers and people will see that in the long run. Dorothy I hope we run into you again on the tour. Too bad our favorite place is being taken over by hotels. One of my favorite places to visit. CU soon.

Still like to know who Mazatlan Mike is.

Trying to steal business from Mazatlanfrank??? Not gonna happen. What a copy cat.:eek:

Just my thoughts,

Dorothy

Well I don't know who Mazatlanmike is but he hasn't offered any tours so he isn't stealing business from Frank who does have tours. Could be someone like Solita that lives in the area trying to help the local businesses with tourism. Solita was always a great help when she was in Cozumel but now she has moved to the Pacific side. Quite frankly, it is nice to have a local to ask questions to.

I wonder if Mazatlan Mike is the same Mike as "Miguel/Mikes horses?"

Doesnt really matter I guess...and no - he doesnt offer tours, but does seem to push "King David" tours...maybe a relative? No matter...

although I didn't really think it fair that he insinuated Randy's rides were not as safe....just my two cents...I am not biased...haven't been on either's ride. :cool: Just find this thread interesting!

• 1 month later...

Could you tell me how much food and drinks were at Molokay? Did you notice any other rental prices? Did you all fit in one taxi? How much was it and how did you get back? I want to take our family of 6 and I don't know whether to book a tour or not. I'm just nervous about doing it on my own, but it would be more affordable. I thought maybe Miguel might run out of horses on Cruise ship days...Thank you! (Sorry about all the questions!)

Archived