Jubilee Review 7/10

ashleytera

I just got off the Jubilee Thursday. For the quick highlights:

Overall we had a good time. The food was good and the service was alright.

Freeport was okay, I am sure Key West would have been much better. We did the waverunners.

Nassau we got there late (2 pm) - the arrival time changed 4 times!! We did the party boat and had an awesome time! Did some shopping!

The pool area is very dangerous and slippery! My husband fell on the tile on the pool and chipped his tooth. Another passenger fell down some stairs. But the wood was generally slippery when wet.

Our room dude was worthless. He came only 3 days. And we only got an animal made once!

Our waiter was slow and the guy who served the drinks and bread was not happy and slow.

We just had high expectations - since being on RC last year. Needless to say, this was my last Carnival cruisE!!

Hey Ashleytera! I'll second that! It's me...your across the street neighbor.

Glad you guys made it back!

Let me tell you, you are a real trooper...and we had sooo much fun meeting and cruising with y'all. If it wasn't for your gang...well no telling what...!:D

So far, Carnival isn't doing anything for us. Have y'all found out anything yet? Tell all the guys hello for me!

Celene

Hey. Yeah we made it back alright. Ryan called Friday and go the run around. Not sure if he as called again. I needed a break from those guys - what a job! We should call about Nathan's tooth - I cannot believe that!

What is your email? I have some updates about Ryan's "girl." Mine is atm80@msn.com.

Ashley

We leave on the Jubilee this Saturday. We know it's an older ship, I think we know what to expect, but I do have a question. You mentioned you did the party boat in Nassau. We were thinking about that excursion, but we have teenagers with us, ages 14 - 19, would they be ok on the party boat or is it too adult for them?

Terri

Is the boat still running :confused: They changed our itinerary because 1 engine was shot and it was cruising s-l-o-w and couldnt make it to Key West port so went to Freeport instead. Has anyone notified you of such?

Ash-you'll have to answer about the "Party Boat" excursion. I didn't make it off the BIG Party Boat for that one! But from the looks of the ones that did go I would say it's definitely too adult for a 14 yr old.

Teedee -I see you're from McDonough. I'm from Conyers just right down the road. Got any more questions and I'll give it my best shot.

Sorry that your cruise on the Jubilee was less than wonderful. In my honest opinion, Carnival needs to shelve the 3 Holiday class ships. If you tried a cruise on one of the newer ships you would have a totally different experience. Carnival cruises are a lot of fun overall.

I wouldn't take a teenager on a party barge. Just my opinion. There are lots of other things to do in Nassau. Have fun!

Thanks for the information, we'll find something else to do in Nassau. My TA has contacted Carnival twice this week about the ports. They assurred her both times that the ship will go to Key West. I hope it does, we've already booked and paid for excursions there.

How much wear and tear is there on the ship? I've heard some horror stories and others who say it's fine. I don't expect new, but clean would be good!

Terri

I just called CCL today and asked if the Jubilee was going to make Key West on the upcoming cruises ( I will be on her on the 24th). The customer service rep assured me that they will. ( i do take that with a grain of salt though) Like you I already pre-paid for a portion of my dive trip in Key West. We will find out this weekend for sure though!

There is wear & tear (carpets water stained big time in our hall-Empress deck) but it is kept as clean as possible. Smells somewhat musky in areas but bearable. (Didn't stop me from having fun :D) I went knowing this was an older ship so didn't expect her to be like the new, bigger ones. Watch the deck around the pool-VERY slippery.

They probably will make Key West as the ship seemed to be working well by the time we got back to Jacksonville. Enjoy your cruise!

Wanted to mention one more thing. Those of you traveling 75south. Construction going on- it took us 1 hr 10 minutes to go 8 miles right below Arabi (around mile marker 90 I believe). All 3 lanes stop, crawl, stop. We left Conyers 1:30 pm got to Jacksonville 8:30 pm.... So give yourself plenty of time.

Of course this was on a Friday afternoon so maybe lots of people heading to FL for weekend. We met some people from Covington,GA on the cruise and they said 75south was a breeze for them (they drove down at 6am Saturday morning). Coming home (Thurs) was fine. No problem at all.

Just wanted to let y'all know just in case. Again--ENJOY, ENJOY!

Wanted to mention one more thing. Those of you traveling 75south. Construction going on- it took us 1 hr 10 minutes to go 8 miles right below Arabi (around mile marker 90 I believe). All 3 lanes stop, crawl, stop. We left Conyers 1:30 pm got to Jacksonville 8:30 pm.... So give yourself plenty of time.

Of course this was on a Friday afternoon so maybe lots of people heading to FL for weekend. We met some people from Covington,GA on the cruise and they said 75south was a breeze for them (they drove down at 6am Saturday morning). Coming home (Thurs) was fine. No problem at all.

Just wanted to let y'all know just in case. Again--ENJOY, ENJOY!

Thanks for posting this, we were planning on leaving Friday afternoon, we'll try to bump that up a little to avoid this!

Terri

Ashleytera: sorry you feel that you don't want to cruise Carnival again, but I want to remind you that you did choose about the worst ship they have. Holiday and jubilee are their oldest, and one of them is leaving the fleet very soon. They tend to put the best crew on the newer ships, which have more amenities, better decor and cabins, better food, etc.

Unless it is truly a cruise from hell from start to finish you should NEVER let one cruise ruin your opinion of a line, especially if its on one of their oldest ships.

Did you let the purser's desk know about the problems with your cabin steward?

CK Razor - I just pulled out my mapquest directions and they only have us going 53 miles on 75 South. (We get on at exit 218) and then getting on I 16. That should have us by-passing the problem on 75, but I was wondering how you went. There may be a better way for us.

Terri

the party boat in nassau - not for the teenagers! lots of drinking and dancing.

yeah we let the pursers desk know before we left and we ended up taking the entire gratuity charge off our account.

RCCL was very clean and the staff was superb. Perhaps one of the newer Carnival ships would compare, but I would rather spend my money where I know I will receive the best service.

Ashley

Teedee--Trust me, the way we went was really simple. (We are 2 old ladies). If I drove it anyone can!!! It's wierd, but it depends on what you type in Mapquest. Try your address to 9810 August Dr, Jacksonville, FL 32226 (Jaxport address). It tells the way we went.

(Got on 75S at McDonough Exit 216, 475 South (Macon bypass)towards Valdosta 15.5 miles, merge back on 75 South -192.5 miles, Xit #435 (I-10) to Jacksonville (66.5 miles)---get gas ---long drive VERY few stations (we got gas 1st chance on I10), I95N.

Go to jaxport.com and they will give you directions straight to port.

We stayed at Hampton Inn, Airport Entrance Rd for $57 and it was very nice. Cont.Breakfast included. (If 5o & over -senior discount), pool, and lots of restaurants around there deliver (we did Ruby Tuesdays delivery so we wouldnt have to get back out & get lost!). It wasn't far at all to Jaxport. By the way... we made 4 stops coming back and it took us 6 hours to Conyers so you should be less to McDonough.

Update on the Jubilee and Key West - the Jubilee did make it to Key West today!

I lived in Jax for 20 years - either way works. You can take I-75 to I-16 to I-95. Good route and not as desolate. You can also take I-75 to I-10. It gets pretty desolate in southern Georgia and on I-10, but it's a good drive as long as there's no construction.

Jaxport can be reached from 9A or Hecksher Drive - both are off I-95.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info Jaguar9748! I think we'l do the I-75 to I-16 route to avoid the construction on I-75. I have to drive through Atlanta traffic every day, I don't want to deal with it on vacation!

Terri

I just got off the Jubilee Thursday. For the quick highlights:

Overall we had a good time. The food was good and the service was alright.

Our room dude was worthless. He came only 3 days. And we only got an animal made once!

Our waiter was slow and the guy who served the drinks and bread was not happy and slow.

We just had high expectations - since being on RC last year. Needless to say, this was my last Carnival cruisE!!

You chose the oldest ship in the fleet......a ship that has already been announced as being sold and will leave the fleet by September.....que sera sera

the party boat in nassau - not for the teenagers! lots of drinking and dancing.

yeah we let the pursers desk know before we left and we ended up taking the entire gratuity charge off our account.

RCCL was very clean and the staff was superb. Perhaps one of the newer Carnival ships would compare, but I would rather spend my money where I know I will receive the best service.

Ashley

I enjoy good service and a great ship, and especially good food to go with it as much as anyone. Needless to say I've gone 4 (now approaching 5 and looking to book 6, maybe even 7 ) in a row on Carnival, after 4 in a row on RCI. Many of CCL's ships are superb, and the smaller ships in their fleet are much better to my tastes (great service etc.) compared to the RCI ships i've been on in the past 4 years.

I was reluctant to try CCL at first. I ended up loving it.

My advice to you: Take another cruise or two on RCI, and come back to CCL on one of their newer ships no earlier than 4 months after its commissioning to ensure the bugs are mostly worked out. The Spirit and Conquest classes are wonderful ships, and you'll like them a lot better than the Holiday class.

While Jubilee is technically the second oldest, Holiday seems to be staying a bit longer than Jubilee. Holiday had a major overhaul not too long ago, so I would assume that has something to do with the timing.

Archived