Need train info from Venice to Barcelona

Hi Guys,

I found a really good deal with our flights, but they have to be RT from the same city (ewr to bcn) $1100 for both of us (not direct flights). If I do ewr to bcn and vce to ewr it an extra $700 bucks. The flights are on Lufthansa, I've never flown with then before. Can anyone tell me if they are good or bad?

SOOOOO I was thinking maybe we can take the train from Venice to Barcelona and this way our RT fight would work out ok. I'm hoping that the cost of the train is worth it and it won't kill me. I really want to travel by train in Europe. If it's too expensive then I'll just pay the extra money for the flights.

Any help you guys can give me I'll really appreciate.

Liz

We have been dealing with this type of problem for many years..and it does often require some flexibility and homework. To answer one of your questions, Lufthansa is a very good airline (we just flew round trip from Dullas to Egypt on Lufthansa) and does code shares with United. One nice thing about Lufthansa is they still give you free drinks in coach and they have real airplane food. You can also try doing some combination things by using internal European low cost budget lines (kind of like Southwest or Jetblue) by looking on web site such as http://www.whichbudget.com/

Sometimes, you will do best by using trains or even renting a car (we love to drive in Europe). Its always a challange but can be lots of fun. We recently booked a transatlantic cruise from Florida to Amsterdam and needed a one way ticket back to the US. We finally decided to book a 14 day river cruise from Amsterday to Budepest because we could get a cheap one way flight on LOT Airlines from Budapest to Newark that helped pay for part of the river cruise. My point is that you should not give up too fast, and keep looking on the internet for ideas.

Hank

May I suggest http://www.vueling.com/EN/index.php

Vueling is a Barcelona baased airlines. It is profitable, comfortable and has a grat on-time record. You will find it more comfortable than EasyJet or Ryan -- also Ryan uses an airport that is WAY out of town.

If you book early (I don't know if July is "open" yet) you can get some excellent rates. This will be cheaper than the train, btw.

Paul

I would also use one of the low cost air carriers in that particular situation, but be careful with your luggage. The allowance from the U.S. to Europe is usually 50 lbs, and you can check two bags. Luggage restrictions vary widely on the cheap European carriers but are usually more restrictive than the U.S. to Europe limits. I've said before that we've flown dozens of flights inside Europe with luggage that was over the limit and were only charged once, but the times are changing (we flew from Barcelona to Seville in September with overweight luggage and were not charged). For me, I like carrying less anyway and just using the ship's laundry, but some of the luggage limits are very low on some of the European carriers (we usually travel from 19-24 days when we go to Europe). A good site to check out all your options is http://www.flycheapo.com, but you'll need to check the web site for each airline for specifics on luggage limits. I usually calculate some cost for luggage overage and consider that with the cost of the low ticket, but we usually choose the cheap flights if the train ride is 5 hours or more to save time to see the sites. So luggage overage may not be an issue for you, but FYI.

Have a great trip,

Donna

P.S. We don't have extensive experience on Lufthansa but have flown approximately 15 or so flights on that line and have had very pleasant experiences with Lufthansa. But I have had good and bad experiences on a number of airlines and still fly those that used really poor judgment if the price and schedule is convenient for me because air travel is just a jungle these days. :)

Archived