San Diego Port-For The Budget Minded

I have been on 17 cruises. I have found the shore excursions to be quite expensive. Here's a few suggestions if you are in San Diego.

Balboa Park. The ship comes in on a Tuesday with RCCL & on Tues. Balboa Park has 3 of their museums for free. You can check their website & it will tell you which ones are free the date you are there. It's about $8 taxi from the ship. They also have about 10 other museums in addition to an Imax Theatre. Once you get to the park there are free shuttles running all the time as the park is huge.

Coronado Ferry Landing: There is a ferry at the Broadway Pier near the ship. It runs every hour starting at 9am. It's $6 round trip. The ferry drops you off where there are all kinds of great shops & restaurants. On Tuesdays when RCCL is there is a Farmers Market starting at 2:30. Coronado Island is beautiful. They have their own shuttle which you could take to Hotel Del Coronado. Absolutely gorgeous. Have a drink in the bar which is on the ocean.

Old Town: It's very close to the ship but a little too far to walk. I'd ballpark $5 taxi. All kinds of independent shops + the park area with shops. Terrific mexican restaurants. Lots of fun.

Hope this helps.

Revlon - thx for the tips! We'll be there again in Feb. also.

One more thing you might enjoy is the on/off trolley ride. You can purchase it just down the street from the cruiseship (turn right, up about 1/2 a block), and it stops at various places around SD - Hotel Del Coronado, Gaslamp District, Old Town, San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park (museum area), along with other stops. Take as much time as you want, trolleys come by for pick-up about every 15-20 minutes. Last stop is Old Town, allow some time (30 mins or so) to get back to the ship. DD and I did this in Feb. It's a great way to spend the day!

Revlon - thx for the tips! We'll be there again in Feb. also.

One more thing you might enjoy is the on/off trolley ride. You can purchase it just down the street from the cruiseship (turn right, up about 1/2 a block), and it stops at various places around SD - Hotel Del Coronado, Gaslamp District, Old Town, San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park (museum area), along with other stops. Take as much time as you want, trolleys come by for pick-up about every 15-20 minutes. Last stop is Old Town, allow some time (30 mins or so) to get back to the ship. DD and I did this in Feb. It's a great way to spend the day!

I agree, the trolley is the BEST way to see San Diego, it also stops at Seaport Village :D I believe you can get discounted tickets online.

http://www.historictours.com/sandiego/

###

I have been on 17 cruises. I have found the shore excursions to be quite expensive. Here's a few suggestions if you are in San Diego.

Balboa Park. The ship comes in on a Tuesday with RCCL & on Tues. Balboa Park has 3 of their museums for free. You can check their website & it will tell you which ones are free the date you are there. It's about $8 taxi from the ship. They also have about 10 other museums in addition to an Imax Theatre. Once you get to the park there are free shuttles running all the time as the park is huge.

Coronado Ferry Landing: There is a ferry at the Broadway Pier near the ship. It runs every hour starting at 9am. It's $6 round trip. The ferry drops you off where there are all kinds of great shops & restaurants. On Tuesdays when RCCL is there is a Farmers Market starting at 2:30. Coronado Island is beautiful. They have their own shuttle which you could take to Hotel Del Coronado. Absolutely gorgeous. Have a drink in the bar which is on the ocean.

Old Town: It's very close to the ship but a little too far to walk. I'd ballpark $5 taxi. All kinds of independent shops + the park area with shops. Terrific mexican restaurants. Lots of fun.

Hope this helps.

Great advice. I did not know about the ferry. Also, you can take city trolley (I think red) (or another color, ask)from the train station across the street from the pier to various locations in San Diego like Old Town, etc. Very inexpensive. Within walking distance is the battleship and the sea village along with another ship you can tour.

Archived