Questions re: Panama Canal stop on Princess "Pacific Panama Canal" cruise

Sandy R

After reading other threads, I'm now concerned that we won't be allowed off the ship unless we book a ship's tour. Would appreciate input as to whether we can book a private tour.

We've booked the Island 9/20/06 Pacific Panama Canal - round trip Los Angeles... we'll be in Panama from 7 am on a Saturday overnight, and leave the area on a Sunday at 4:30. Then we make a stop that same Sunday at 5 pm in Fuerte Amador, Panama.

For those that have done this itinerary, can we get off the ship in Panama then embark again in Fuerte Amador? Is that do-able. And, what is there to see in Fuerte Amador? We'll be there from 5 pm to 10 pm.

Thanks for the help... Sandy

Sandy,

We are on a partial canal transit on Feb17,2007 and I am curious as to whether we can book a private tour as well.

I had contacted My Friend Mario (private operator) to reserve a space on one of his excursions and he told me that Princess was the only line that did not let you get off in Panama unless you booked an excursion thru them (princess line).

This is unfortunate as Princess is not offering the excursion we wanted to book.

Gerri

• 3 weeks later...

In F. Amador, there is a small shopping center with an overpriced duty free store, about a dozen shops selling T shirts, hats and souvenirs and a drink/ice cream bar. most people on our early Nov. Regal cruise regretted even going thru the bother of getting off the ship by tender to see this place. You could take ship's tours of Panama City or the canal by night from this location or take a taxi into Panama City.

Also there were some very nice boats ( as in yachts ) to see in the small marina there but these were not open to the public so you could only see from the dock and boardwalk.

Archived