Diving in Hawaii

crangirl

Hilary is right above about Maui. We also use Ed Robinson, but you won't be able to get down to Kihei that early.

A great site for shore diving is http://www.shorediving.com/ The diving at Sheraton Black Rock is easy as they have a rental hut on the beach about 50 yards from the water for any equipment you need. We usually see turtles their too. Earlier is better and I think the hut opens at 8 AM.

there is a great dive locker on Oahu called Diving Concepts. I unfortunately don't have their phone # available. The Dive magazine Sports Diver usually has their website with other events/instruction. Great group of guys, Highly recommend to check it out.

DM Doc.

In reviewing my dive log, there are places I would surely return to. On the Island of Tahiti, there is a Sheridan Hotel in Papaetti we stayed at for several days. A DM is there on site. Had a dive between Papaetti and Morea that was fantastic. Easily 120' viz. In Raiatea, a dive shop called Hemisphere Sub; 689-66-12-49. Also on Bora Bora, The Bora Bora dive center; boradiving@mail.pf. All dives were wonderful, with plenty of sharks!

DM Doc

Which place would be best to dive from Kona or Maui. You have all mentioned your favorite dive op's, but is one location better than the other. Or does it not really matter. Will be cruising in May with an overnight in Maui and a 7am arrival in Kona. DH and son are the divers. Thanks

Which place would be best to dive from Kona or Maui. You have all mentioned your favorite dive op's, but is one location better than the other. Or does it not really matter. Will be cruising in May with an overnight in Maui and a 7am arrival in Kona. DH and son are the divers. Thanks
Knowledgeable people that I trust tell me that Kona diving is better than Maui, not that Maui is bad, but Kona is better.

My first thought was that Maui wins, hands down...but thinking about it some more makes it a toss up. Maui shore diving in early Dec. is fun (saw some super big turtles at Black Rock). Molikini and area is fine--shark nursery, lots of fish, garden eels at 70' were in murky water.

Kona (with Kona Honu in June) had a lot of variety in lava/formations and we did see some sharks ('glad I missed the one watching us as we swam by 6' away--DH was watching to make sure he stayed put:eek: ) and generally nice dives. Let us dive 'til 500psi even if others went up. Had to meet at the shop and then get ourselves to the marina; ship/shop/marina not far from each other, but not walkable--taxi could wait while you filled out forms.

But Lanai is as good as it gets--cave swim-throughs, beautiful canyons, eels, critters, fish, shells, and dolphins 10' away and all around the boat! If your overnight allows a Lanai cathedrals dive, take it. Maybe Ed Robinson's would pick up in Lahaina, if that's where the ships dock...that would save a 45min drive to Kihei by 6:30am.

Whatever you do--dive somewhere!

Archived