Diving in Hawaii

crangirl

:) My husband and I and 2 other couples are cruising on the Pride of Hawaii Jan 22. My husband got certified this past summer and wants to dive while we are on our cruise. I need help in finding a good company and where would be the best place to dive. The cruise takes us to Hilo, overnight in Maui, Kona, and another overnight in Kauai. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. The group if us is getting together tonight to plan some things out what we want to do. thanks-:)

I've been reading the "Revealed Books", and it seems both Kona and Maui are good diving spots. I think we're going to dive in both. Unfortunately, we won't be in Kona at night because they have an incredible Manta Ray Night Dive. In Kona we are going to use Kona Honu Divers. Pacific Rim Divers is also recommended, but their boat is smaller and offers no shade.

I'm still looking in Maui because the books mainly talk about South and West Maui, but I believe POH docks in Kahului which is more central. I doesn't look like West Maui would be that far of a drive, but I have to make some calls today to find out more.

Most of your diving in Maui is going to be out of Lahaina. It's not really that far from where the ship docks. There are many dive shops. You can take the city bus even. I don't remember how far it was exactly, but my hubby and kids did it to dive last week. (They did an introductory dive through Lahaina Dive Shop- Enjoyed it!) You can also look into outfits that go out to Molokini. Beautiful spot!

The company previously recommended for Kona is supposed to be great, and I heard a lot of great things about Kealakekua. You can't get there any other way than by boat, and it's supposed to be a beautiful dive/snorkel.

Enjoy!

Many excellent dive operations go out of the Kihei Boat Ramp which is much more convenient (and quicker) from Kahului. If you hit traffic wrong going or coming from Lahaina or there's an accident, you're toast as there's only one road. Kihei has a few options to get you back to your ship.

Check out Ed Robinson, Shaka Divers, Scuba Shack, and Mike Severns for possibilities.

In Kona, I can recommend Kona Coast Divers.

Archived