Train to NY Pier

Kathristin

I live in Central NJ (Metuchen area) and I am calling local taxi/limo services to get some idea of a car service to the pier. They all seem around the same $150 each way for 2. I know its not horrible, but I would like to do something cheaper and unfortunately everyone in my family is terrified of driving into NYC for some reason.

Has anyone ever tried taking the NJ tranist train to Penn station and getting a taxi from there? I'm hoping to consolidate my luggage and only use my large suitcase and a duffle bag so it should be managable in the station. Is it worth the extra hassle to save the extra money?

Are there any other options?

Thanks!

I wanted to do the train to NY but my husband overrode the decision and we got limos the 2 times we sailed out of NY from Northern NJ. Here are some thoughts which don't answer your questions but give you something to think about.

What time of the day or day of the week is your cruise departing and returning? You will probably not be involved in rush hour, but traffic in NY is heavy any day of the week, lighter on the weekend. How crowded the trains are follows the rush hour patterns.

I heard the parking in NY now is $24 a day. Hopefully someone will answer this question or you should be able to check this. When we left out of Bayonne it was $15 a day parking. From our house to Bayonne for an 12 day cruise it was the equivalent price to take a limo as to drive and park.

The trip in a limo is great. You don't need to have someone drop you off at the train station. At the terminal, you get dropped off and husband does not have to worry about dropping you off, parking, and meeting you.

Getting home is another issue. The limos ask you what time you will get off the ship. You have little control over this. Then they tell you they will charge you $20 for every half hour they have to wait. I assume there is a grace time. So we told the limo company a best guess time and had to wait around for an hour. Even then, it takes time for the driver to pull into the terminal to pick you up and for you to find each other.

Does anyone know how long the taxi lines are in NY? I think it would have been more time efficient to take a taxi to the train station. Penn Station has a decent sitting area where you wait for your train. You'll see a lot of people with luggage because NJ Transit shares a waiting area with AMTRAC.

You can check to see the layout of your home train station. Our train station in NJ has no steps. We drop our son off all the time with luggage (but of course he is a 30 year old male). Just wheel to the train, and a few steps up into the train. Do you know if there is an escalator or an elevator to the platorm at the train station in NY? We traveled from Rome to Venice and from Barcelona to Madrid by train with our cruise luggage, as well as from London to Dover on another trip. The only problem we ever had was the station in Maestre Venice where they did not have an elevator so we had to carry the luggage up a flight of steps. We each had one large 28-29 inch suitcase and a carry on. I hand the luggage up to my husband and down to my husband from the train. What is your physical condition?

Taking the trains limited our purchases of "stuff" on our trip. This saves additional money spent on souveniers we don't really need.

Good luck!

I live in the Washington,DC metro area and have always taken the train to Penn station to get on a cruise. If you are using the Manhattan cruise terminal taxi are easy to get on 8th ave. and cost around 12-15 dollars if you are leaving from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal I will cost around 30 dollars if isn't rush our but pick it up 7th Ave. Also if you are using the Brooklyn Terminal I strongly suggest that you go to map quest and printout a map and direction to the cruise terminal I have had two taxi drivers that didn't know how or where the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is. My expericence catching a taxi from the Brooklyn cruise terminal will take forever their too many people trying to catch a taxi and not enough taxis to go around so I settled for a executive sedan at 55 dollars and enjoyed the ride and didn't have to worry about how the driver got me back to the train station or how long it took because it was a flat rate set by the city. If you decide to do the sedan don't request it from your cruise ship it will cost you extra their are plenty of sedans waiting alot more than taxis.:)

Enjoy your cruise.

mike@mona

QE2 Jan 8-25 2007

Riding NJ transit to Penn Station & taking a cab is not really doable with luggage as NJ Transit trains don't have luggage racks and making the transfers with luggage proves to be quite a schlepp.

I might recommend splurging a bit and taking Amtrak if you are along the Northeast Corridor line as their trains are luggage friendly and you'll have an easier go of it.

Riding NJ transit to Penn Station & taking a cab is not really doable with luggage as NJ Transit trains don't have luggage racks and making the transfers with luggage proves to be quite a schlepp.

NJTransit trains do have overhead luggage racks. I've used NJTransit for years traveling in and out of New Jersey and have never been on a train that did not have them.

However, you have to be strong enough to heave your luggage overhead. If the train is full, the porters will not let you leave your bags in the seat or in the aisle and they will not help you.

To the OP, have you looked at taking the bus?

To the OP, have you looked at taking the bus?

I've actually heard that the bus is much easier with luggage than the train. I've heard that the porters absolutely will not assist you with luggage on the train and you have to be able to manage it, heft it, etc. ... not to mention haul it through the train station on your own.

Another suggestion ... maybe the OP can look into group transportation to the pier. Companies like Dave's Best Limo (here in Philly) will pick people up at select hotels and then deliver a van load of them to the pier. The price is much more reasonable, though you are restricted to two bags each. I think your carry-ons don't count as long as you can sit them on your lap.

I'm looking at this option myself for after my QE2 cruise in April. I need to get home from the New York pier ... with two very large pieces of luggage since this is actually two cruises ... an 18-day on the Veendam, followed by two days overseas, and then the five-day transAtlantic back on the QE2 from Southampton. There is no way I could possibly manage luggage that heavy on the trains.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've actually heard that the bus is much easier with luggage than the train. I've heard that the porters absolutely will not assist you with luggage on the train and you have to be able to manage it, heft it, etc. ... not to mention haul it through the train station on your own.

--rita

You are absolutely correct. Train is giant PIA with anything more than a carryon. That is why I refuse to use the Airtrain from JFK or Newark into Manhattan.

Has anyone ever tried taking the NJ tranist train to Penn station and getting a taxi from there?

Not only do we take NJ transit into Penn, but we skip the taxi and opt for the subway...8th Ave. at Penn and get off at 50th, then walk the four VERY LONG blocks over to the ship. We often joke on the way that we're probably the only two passengers who actually walk to the ship!!!:D Of course, we travel very light with just a small carry-on. It's easy for us since we live directly across the street from the train station just a couple of stops north of your location, so we just walk out our front door and hop on the train.

I disagree with the other post re: no luggage racks...every NJ transit train I've been on has luggage racks. In fact, there are quite a few passengers who board at the Newark airport stop with large bags. If they can't manage to put then in the rack by themselves, those sitting nearby are usually willing to help.

We were hoping to do this in reverse when the QE2 arrives on Jan. 8 [just did a last minute booking last week], but just found out today that it's arriving in Red Hook. Still checking into how we might use public transport to get out of the RH area.

Jack

We were hoping to do this in reverse when the QE2 arrives on Jan. 8 [just did a last minute booking last week], but just found out today that it's arriving in Red Hook. Still checking into how we might use public transport to get out of the RH area.

Jack

Red Hook is hard on Mass transit, The closest subway stop is at Smith and 9th Street on F/G line and then you can take thebus downstairs and get off at Van Brundt and Wolcott Street and walk about the same 4 long blocks( a little more than 1/2 mile to the entrance to the terminal- don't get off at Van Brundt and Brown Street the car entrance for the pier is more than an 1/2 mile further way than that)

to get to the F train take the A or C train southbound at Penn Station to Jay Street Boro Hall Station in Brooklyn and Change accross the track for the F....3 stops to Smith and 9th Street.....I think the Bus is the B61 but I wouldn't bet on it....YOU CANNOT DO THIS WITH ANY SIGNIFICANT LUGGAGE. The Smith and 9th streetstop is the highest off the street. The walk from the subway to the terminal is not unsafe from a theft point of view but it is unsafe for pedestrian- take the bus....

Anyone know if taking a cab from Grand Central is reasonable and how much it would cost?

In April we're thinking about taking the Harlem line from Hartsdale to GCT and then taking a cab from there.

With self-serve laundromats on the Dawn we can pack A LOT lighter, so we'll most likely have 2 large bags and 1 small one between Wifey and I, tops.

Also, there may be up to 6 other folks going on this cruise so train to cab might be the most economical way of getting all those people down there.

Thanks!

I live in Central NJ (Metuchen area)

Has anyone ever tried taking the NJ tranist train to Penn station and getting a taxi from there? I'm hoping to consolidate my luggage and only use my large suitcase and a duffle bag so it should be managable in the station. Is it worth the extra hassle to save the extra money?

I lived in Edison for years. Just hop on the NE Corridor line, get off in NYC, walk outside & get a cab. It's very easy as long as you can manage your luggage yourself & don't need a porter. I also wouldn't try it at the height of rush hour.

If you need a porter, spring for the car service.

Anyone know if taking a cab from Grand Central is reasonable and how much it would cost?

In April we're thinking about taking the Harlem line from Hartsdale to GCT and then taking a cab from there.

With self-serve laundromats on the Dawn we can pack A LOT lighter, so we'll most likely have 2 large bags and 1 small one between Wifey and I, tops.

Also, there may be up to 6 other folks going on this cruise so train to cab might be the most economical way of getting all those people down there.

Thanks!

It should be about the same $10.00 again depending on traffic. You are at 42nd and Park Aven(between madison and Lexinton actually)...and the Cruise terminal for the Dawn is at 50th street and 12th avenue...Maximum number of people in a cab is 4 but you will have problems with 4 full sized people with 4 full sets of luggage...

It should be about the same $10.00 again depending on traffic. You are at 42nd and Park Aven(between madison and Lexinton actually)...and the Cruise terminal for the Dawn is at 50th street and 12th avenue...Maximum number of people in a cab is 4 but you will have problems with 4 full sized people with 4 full sets of luggage...

Okay, that's what I figured, thanks.

We can just take multiple taxis, that's not a problem. There's a taxi line right outside GCT so we'll just wait there for however many cabs we need. 2 per cab with luggage should be fine.

Okay, that's what I figured, thanks.

We can just take multiple taxis, that's not a problem. There's a taxi line right outside GCT so we'll just wait there for however many cabs we need. 2 per cab with luggage should be fine.

Depending on the time of day there will be people lined up for cabs or you will have to wait for them.

The line is at 44th and Vanderbuilt ave but you can catch cabs at the 42nd street(my suggestion is to use 42nd street= it is level to the street and a straight run cross town to 12th avenue)...or lexinton and then they turn onto 42nd street... alittle longer but of no moment... 3 people per cab should be ok. Personally when I get to the terminal I would get off accross the street on the uptown side of 12th avenue and walk accross carefully

Archived