QM2 - Is it for us?

Pusniski

We took our first cruise and have become instantly hooked. DH & I are both in our early 30's and we have one son. We are interested in the QM2. She looks gorgeous so I've been poking around here and there. I tell you why I hestitate and let me know if I'm being unreasonable. By the time we actually set sail I guess my son will be 12. Do they offer activities for this age group? Should I stick with summer sailings so there will be more children onboard or is there a fair number on the off-peak times? I would consider us more laid back in personality. The other concern and I hope I do not offend anyone by saying this, but we worry if we book a Princess or Queens Grill suite that the dining room will be too formal or maybe stuffy. It's not the dress code for the ship itself, but the atmosphere because of the class separation. So am I way off base? I appreciate your help and comments. This ship is one we consider "We must do in this lifetime" sort of things. My DS is actually interested, but I don't want him to get onboard and hate it.

Thanks!:)

We took our first cruise and have become instantly hooked. DH & I are both in our early 30's and we have one son. We are interested in the QM2. She looks gorgeous so I've been poking around here and there. I tell you why I hestitate and let me know if I'm being unreasonable. By the time we actually set sail I guess my son will be 12. Do they offer activities for this age group? Should I stick with summer sailings so there will be more children onboard or is there a fair number on the off-peak times? I would consider us more laid back in personality. The other concern and I hope I do not offend anyone by saying this, but we worry if we book a Princess or Queens Grill suite that the dining room will be too formal or maybe stuffy. It's not the dress code for the ship itself, but the atmosphere because of the class separation. So am I way off base? I appreciate your help and comments. This ship is one we consider "We must do in this lifetime" sort of things. My DS is actually interested, but I don't want him to get onboard and hate it. (THERE ARE CHILDREN OF ALL AGES ON BOARD AT ANY CRUISE THAT I HAVE BEEN ON IN ANY SEASON)

Thanks!:)

I THINK YOU WILL FIND THE PRINCESS GRILL MORE TO YOUR LIKING THEN THE QUEENS GRILL(TOO MANY O2 TANKS AND WHEEL CHAIRS) YOUR SON WILL BE WELL RECIEVED AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF YOUTH ACTIVITIES ALTHOUGH NOT WELL ADVERTISED!!! WE SAILED ONE CRUISE WITH A 12 YEAR OLD AT THE TABLE NEXT TO OURS A FEW YEARS AGO AND HE WAS HAVING A WONDERFULL TIME EXCEPT FOR HIS CONTROLLING MOTHER!!! GO ENJOY AND LET YOUR SON ENJOY AS WELL!!! BON VOYAGE

Hi! I've booked the August 15th sailing with my 12 year old son and have had similar concerns. I expressed my concerns on this website and I was given wonder ideas for my son to do. I also have cruied Disney twice, Princess and RCCL so I too am still a bit nervous. However I agree its a must do trip! I also called Cunard directly and asked about dress code for a 12 year old and was told jacket and tie at dinner every night would be acceptable. My son doesn't love to dress up too much. I think if he saw others doing it that it would be fine but past cruise experiences for us are very casual dressing kids, collared shirts no jackets were very acceptable.

If you're planning on cruising after August let me know and I can tell you how we made out!:)

Past cruise experiences for us are very casual dressing kids, collared shirts no jackets were very acceptable.

He won't find that on Cunard - if he doesn't stick to the dress code he won't be allowed into the restaurant to dine. You are right in thinking that a dark suit and tie is acceptable in place of a dinner jacket and bow tie for formal nights. Although when I was your son's age I wore black trousers, my school blazer (also black), a white shirt and a bow tie if I needed to be in evening dress. It was very acceptable: it looked the part, gave me the experience of dressing up and didn't cost my parents an arm and a leg for something I wouldn't wear that often.

My DS doesn't enjoy dressing up, but if I say put on your suit he will. He does grumble about the tux though. :rolleyes: Don't they realize how handsome they look? It also makes you feel as if you are having an evening out and not just plopping down to some ordinary meal. I don't mind getting dressed up. I do mind packing all the gear associated with it. :p

Pusniski,

(Is there a first name? Welcome to our club!)

I am going to give you two things. The first is a link to the thread which Worktoplay referred to.

You can read our responses to her:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=447339

But I'll give you a head start. Here was my response to her. (Why, yes, I am long winded, but it is gusting to 60 mph here in CT right now!)

What kind of things interest your son? Here are some of my suggestions for fascinating things to do on the QM2. And don't miss the "Secret" scenic elevator which extends (with glass car) out by the bridge wings. It can be entered from several places, none of them obvious. BTW, Although Cunard doesn't really advertise it since they do not really market to children, they do have children's activites.

As for Malcom's last post- Don't let that scare you. Malcolm thinks everyone should wear a tux to bed, to shower, and swimming! He comes off as somewhat harsh. He's not really, He's a pussycat trying to be stern like a British school master! <G> Your son will fit right in in a dark suit on formal night. On informal (or semi formal,) perhaps a sports jacket and tie. Casual he could get away with a polo shirt. The Grills tend to be a bit dressier than the Britannia, however, people simply love a chance to dress up, which are so infrequent in our casual society. So you will find, more often than not, most passengers dressed, if not to the nines, at least to the eight and a halfs. <G> You will not see jeans in the dining room as a rule, but they are not likely to heave him overboard for going tieless on a casual night. (well, maybe!) If your son is into History, this ship has plenty. If he likes art, there are some marvelous nautical paintings of previous Cunard beauties in the elevators and stair landingsby noted maritme painter Sthephen Card.

And Challenge him to find Homer Simpson in one of the art pieces on the ship! He is there!

Well, I've alredy summed up a lot below.

Ask, if you have more questions. It is NOT a stuffy ship. I have been on her twice this year, and have a multitude of friends embarking on her tomorrow. I am anything but stuffy. I am a parrothead. if you know what those are, you'll know I am not stuffy. I wear Hawaiian Shirts to work every day..In Connecticut! I am wearing one as we speak! I had a great time on her, and am dying to get back on her. QE2 is a bit more formal than QM2, but QM2 is a modern ship with the grace of the great ladies. Your son will fall in love!

The following was regarding a crossing. a cruise simply adds interesting ports to the mix! And remember. She is the only ship afloat with a planetarium!

And while he's watching the ocean on deck two, many of the tables are filled with board games (for all ages) jigsaw puzzles and such. If he likes to read, this ship has one of the best libaraies you will find, with books and magazines for every interest!

What will keep him occupied, of course, is as different as every child is. There are no trampolines, ice rinks or climbing walls, but there is a gym, pools, a hamburger joint (If it is open) 12 deck aft, a planetarium, RADA, there is usually some sort of art course. But his biggest thrill of all may just be watching the vast ocean go by! Get him a pair of cheap binoculars and he can watch for other ships. Get him a decent book on the Titanic (or borrow one from the library) and for goodness sake, get him a map with lattitude and longitude markings that he can trace your path by the Captain's noontime announcements from the bridge. He can also figure out where the Titanic went down and how close you get, by plotting your course as you go along. And don't forget to walk the history trail. I still haven't done that completely. There is just so much to see and do. Make sure you find the scenic elevators (and overlook) up by the bridge. They are sort of hidden and hard to find. I thought someone was pulling my leg when I heard about this AFTER I got off of the ship for twelve days! Do take him to the viewing area behind the bridge. If he appreciates art, especially of ships, take him up and down the various stairwells and elevators where you can see many of Stephen Card's ship paintings!

There is so much to do that only the most spoiled and petulant child, used to having someone constantly entertain him or her could possibly be bored. There is TV movies, of course, and other stuff on TV, but there is so much else to do, I only turn it on, maybe to catch the announcements in my cabin or to look for some specific information. Have him help you in Pub Trivia just before lunch and between 4 and 5 daily (also around 10:45 in the evening I think) check your schedule. I often see families with children in there doing the trivia. Don't worry, this is really esoteric stuff. It seems kind of hard, but that is becasue it is stuff most people do not know! And then now and again, you might get a really easy one. Being in school, he may be closer to a lot of the answers than many adults. How many of us remember mythological figures, flags of countries and such? There is also a dart board in the pub, if a tournament is not going on. And if he is any good at darts, maybe he might want to be in the tournament! And there is shuffleboard. I enjoyed it when I was twelve! Its only when we get older that we think it is an "old folks game" And if you and he are the type to do so, if he can engage people politely, there are so many wonderful people from so many cultures on board. Although on a crossing you are likely to find more Birtish subjects than most other countries, still, there is so much to learn about school (what we call public school is private school, and vice versa!) , food, and what interests people in other countries! I was so surprised on my first cruise, seated at dinner with some British folks, that there are areas of England that have Palm Trees! I am still amazed and astonished by that fact! Maybe he can collect how many different countries he has met people from, much the way kids like to count different license plates on a car trip! (well, in the US anyway!I didn't think to see where you were from!)

Karie, who wishes she had had such opportunities at such an age. The fantasies alone would be marvelous (We are off to see the queen, or some international spy adventure would be more my kind of fantasy! Of course, at his age I was into The Man From UNCLE, Haley Mills in Moonspinners, and the Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew Books.)

Time till all my friends are on their next cruise!

(Without me! :()

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2006;12;2;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

QM2 - Is it for us?

Yes! You and your son will have a great time. There are activities for his age group. For example, while I was blogging at a table behind ConneXions back in May, two boys about his age ran up and breathlessly asked if I was using a computer. Yes, said I. Please sign this, said they. And I signed off on the "Someone using a computer" line of their scavenger list, and off they ran in search of their next goal.

But I'm sure that he will have a ball just exploring on his own. This vast and beautiful ship has enough wonders to tax even the energy of a twelve year old. If you are going on a crossing, have him ask at the Purser's if there are any animals aboard; and, if so, he can visit them at the kennels on Deck 12 in the afternoons.

All he needs is a tie and jacket for "formal" evenings. We have dined in both the Queens Grill and the Princess Grill. Believe me, there are too many Americans around for either to be at all "stuffy". (Some old timers may not think that this is a good thing, but if you just greet them with "Good evening, sir", they will beam back happily.)

Go, all of your family, soon. You won't regret it.

Paul

Pusniski,

I just noticed you are from Virginia. If your child has been rasied as a Southern Child, he will have no problem. If I ever said,"HUH", "WHAT" or "Yeah" to an adult, I think I would have had the face slapped off the side of my head! Well, I would have gotten a look that could freeze a moose in its tracks. I learned to address my elders as Sir or Ma'am from a very early age. Even though we moved to New York State (where calling people Sir or Ma'am was NOT de rigeur.) as a toddler. I am now 52. I still call people I don't know, my elders, and those in positions of respect, Sir or Ma'am. Just this week, I spoke with a gentleman who is a well known author. Although he calls himself (John) _ Not his name- but I don't name drop...much) to me, and we have spoken many times (including as I was sailing out of New York Harbor January 3rd on the QM2) I still would blanche at the mere thought of calling him anything but "Mr. Doe" He is my elder, and a much admired and respected gent. I could no more not say "Sir" to him, than I could call the Queen "Hey Babe!" If your child has been raised with the typical southern graces, then he will fit right in. Cunard people are not snobs. They simply have (mostly) impeccable manners. and what are manners than treating people with grace and respect.

Do not worry. Even if he is not originally southern (or his parents were not) a certain standard is still upheld in most southern areas. It is simply exected. Please go and enjoy!

Karie,

who is originally from Tennesee, by way of New York State, Florida, back to Tennessee and now residing in Connecticut.

As for Malcolm's last post - Don't let that scare you. Malcolm thinks everyone should wear a tux to bed, to shower, and swimming! He comes off as somewhat harsh. He's not really, He's a pussycat trying to be stern like a British school master! <G>

Harsh, me? It certainly wasn't meant. All I did mean was that her son would need a jacket and tie for formal nights. I then said what I used to wear before I was bought a dress suit.:)

Karie - if I'm a pussycat will you tickle my tummy?:D

Yes, we were born and raised here in Virginia. DS has more of southern drawl then the rest of us. Yes, manners are mandatory. Some think we are very strict until they see my son without us around and he still uses his manners. I think some people have forgotten why we need to parent and set rules, limitations and how to be respectful. He may not know which fork to use, but he knows how to address people. He tends to be a little shy so we're working on confidence building when meeting new adults. He's outspoken with children and will make a new friend in a minute. It's just the adults when he clams up. Once we sat down to dinner it clicked! Not only is cruising fun but it's another learning experience for DS. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

Thank you so much for providing the links and descriptions! :) We didn't have ice-skating rinks, climbing walls, etc on the Disney Magic, however, he liked to go hang out with the other kids in kids club once or twice during the week just to play video games. Otherwise, he was with us checking out the ship, swimming and playing family games. He's not high maintenance at all.

Pnhmrk - You weren't harsh at all. ;)

Now I can't wait for that schedule in 2008 to open up completely! :D Where should we go? Transatlantic? Europe? Hmmmm..... :cool:

Bonnie

Where should we go? Transatlantic? Europe? Hmmmm..... :cool:

Why not do both? Sail transatlantic on the QM2, change to the QE2 (a smaller ship and can therefore get into more ports) and head around Northern Europe and then transfer back to the QM2 for the journey home:)

That way, if you can get to New York without flying, you can avoid flying all together - a far more comfortable way of doing things (and just think of all the luggage you can take:D )

Why, Malcolm! Of course I'll rubby your tummy! I'm afraid I can't come over there at the moment, though, so you'll have to come over here! Will you be coming alone, or will there be two of you?

<G>

You must admit, dear, you are one of the more "uncompromising" in re: formal dress and that it must not be altered anywhere on the ship before midnight! <G> Goodness knows, if I were onboard with you, I would be afraid to take off my heels or gown, or a single earring until I knew here was no chance I might emerge from the cabin again that night. I suppose I would have to get my gown back on if the abandon ship horn sounded! We have gone back out to the Commodore Club after thinking we were settling in for the night. It was Maria's fault, I tell you! I had to get dressed again!

Well, our dear friends should be leaving port any minute now. I do wish Ft Lauderdale had fixed its cameras after one of the hurricanes. Used to be one could see the ships in port!

Karie,

who wishes she cold be on that ship right now with PATWELL, and Sterling1 and Matteblack and TXgal and BellDebb Bramcruiser, and SOLboys, and Heck, I forget everyone's screen names. Much easier to remember their real ones!

I love that idea to book QM2 Transatlantic Eastbound then hop on QE2 for Europe then back to QM2 Westbound! I just don't think I could get a solid 3-4 weeks off to cruise them all. :( I've been thinking that QM2 is probably the only way to do a transatlantic so I am leaning towards it right now. I can always book a separate european cruise for another time.

travel-to-go - :D :p LOL!

Will you be coming alone, or will there be two of you?

<G>

He's proper poorly with a cold at the moment so the idea of a transatlantic journey for both of us is out for the moment:( I can't leave him to fend for himself (although the idea is tempting:D ):( If we leave it till he's better then we wouldn't be back in time for Christmas:(

You are one of the more "uncompromising"

I like to dress up. I like to conform. I like a ship where that's expected. I don't want to go on a ship where formal means long trousers so I don't go on a casual ship. Why should casual cruisers come on a formal ship and then complain that it's too formal? If that's "uncompromising" then I am. (And I think it is)

I would be afraid to take off my heels or gown, or a single earring until I knew here was no chance I might emerge from the cabin again that night.

Quite right - you should always be suitably attired in public (The same applies to your private wear as well:D ).

I suppose I would have to get my gown back on if the abandon ship horn sounded!

Didn't we have this discussion a while back? Did you ever find an outfit that would go with a dayglo orange lifejacket?

He's proper poorly with a cold at the moment so the idea of a transatlantic journey for both of us is out for the moment:( I can't leave him to fend for himself (although the idea is tempting:D ):(

I didn't think men got colds; in this house they get man flu, which is a very much more serious illness;).

Hope the poor old thing gets better eventually.

Mary

Archived