Jamaican Perfume Question...

EggDropErin

I read in a book...and for the life of me I can't find it in any of my several books (probably because I have too many books to go back through! LOL)...but one of them mentioned a special perfume that was unique to Jamaica that you could buy there. I am a perfumaniac! Is anyone aware of what this might be called? Perhaps there are several, but it seemed like this was one you could only get there.

Thanks for your help!

Kus Kus perfume was one of the original Jamaican perfumes, it's from a root and smells rather like baby powder to me! Most 'perfumes' here in Jamaica are very light...more like cologne or toilet water, not long lasting perfumes...as you will guess when you compare prices to expensive, exotic perfumes at home. Bottle size will vary from small to large and most every store will have a tester bottle for you to try some of the different scents.

Kus Kus perfume was one of the original Jamaican perfumes, it's from a root and smells rather like baby powder to me! Most 'perfumes' here in Jamaica are very light...more like cologne or toilet water, not long lasting perfumes...as you will guess when you compare prices to expensive, exotic perfumes at home. Bottle size will vary from small to large and most every store will have a tester bottle for you to try some of the different scents.

Yes! That's it! Kus Kus or Khous khous...I also just found the information in one of my books. It took me that long. LOL

Hi TOTTT, you will have to remind me next time I visit to try some of these perfumes. I much prefer a very light perfume, and if it reminds me of Jamaica, all the better!

'Morning Jazz! The one perfume made here I DO like is called "Nothing". Weird name...must have run out of creativity for that one! The women's version reminds me of something I used to wear made in Hawaii...sort of a frangipani / gardenia flower base...light and tropical and just puts a smile on your face to splash some on!

Have had friends visiting here for five days...Soloman had a four day trip in MoBay to do...I got to hang out on the west end, go out with the girls, do a "slumber party" one night..had so much fun! A much needed break. Now have just sat down to the computer, steaming cup of Blue Mountain coffee liberally laced with coconut rum cream sitting here beside me, light breeze rustling through the mango and coconut trees outside the window, yard rooster calling out for his ladies, newborn baby goats bleating for mama (she had triplets this time!), reggae on the radio...not a bad way to 'face reality' and get back to catching up on emails! :)

TOTTT ~ I am so jealous of your "reality!" I noticed you are in Negril and I checked out your tour website. I just won a free trip to any Sandals of my choice and I'm so excited because I've never been to Jamaica before. I've narrowed down my choices to Negril, Dunn's River Villagio and Whitehouse. If I get Negril, I would love to utilize your tour company to see the real Jamaica. Do you offer tours in any other city?

Wavecruiser, wow! A free trip to Jamaica...way to go!! The three choices you have are on three separate coastlines...Ochi on the northcoast, Negril on the west coast, and Whitehouse on the southwest coast. I am familiar with Sandals Negril and Sandals Whitehouse but not the Ochi property itself.

Ocho Rios is the city, Negril is a 'mid-sized small town' and Whitehouse is rather isolated...each has it's pros/cons depending on what you're looking for in a vacation or accomodations.

Ochi would be way out of range for us, but the other two places we do. If you like, drop me an email anytime and I'll help you sort through the different locations and see if it helps you narrow down your choices...the first thought being how many days/nights will the free trip include...distance to and from the Montego Bay to the Sandals destination of your choice airport may be a deciding factor if you're here for only three days...you can reach me at s_kerr@anbell.net.

~Sienna~

• 4 months later...

Okay, an updated question regarding this topic. I purchased a bottle of Kus Kus for like $5 from a small shop outside of the cruise terminal. After I bought it, I noticed a completely different looking bottle also with the name Kus Kus on it. So, I think I probably got a fake, but maybe not. Is there any way to know that I would be buying the authentic stuff, or is it just kind of a generic thing made by several companies? If not, does anyone know what company makes it?

Erin, there are three companies I've seen that package Khus Khus perfume, and there may be a few more....the original companies I remember seeing were La India, Parfums Jamaica and Benjamin's.

In the 'olden days', the Khus Khus root was used by rural people as a deodorant or mixed with canonga water to ward of duppies (ghosts).

Now, the root is sometimes used as a moth repellant in drawers or closets where tablecloths and curtains and the like are stored, or sometimes carried in one's pocket to 'attract positive people'. Bush doctors (herbalists) will make an infusion from the fresh root to soothe inflamed stomachs, treat fevers and flu and if used externally, to treat rheumatic arthritis pains.

Thanks so much for the information! I'm thinkin' maybe it's good stuff then. It smells good. :)

Erin, there are three companies I've seen that package Khus Khus perfume, and there may be a few more....the original companies I remember seeing were La India, Parfums Jamaica and Benjamin's.

In the 'olden days', the Khus Khus root was used by rural people as a deodorant or mixed with canonga water to ward of duppies (ghosts).

Now, the root is sometimes used as a moth repellant in drawers or closets where tablecloths and curtains and the like are stored, or sometimes carried in one's pocket to 'attract positive people'. Bush doctors (herbalists) will make an infusion from the fresh root to soothe inflamed stomachs, treat fevers and flu and if used externally, to treat rheumatic arthritis pains.

Archived