Question for those that have disembarked at Miami

tflanag1

We will be disembarking from the Valor in Miami. The ship is scheduled to get into port at 8 am. We have an 11:30 am flight leaving out of Miami International. Will I have any problems making this flight? The Carnival rep told me that we should be off the boat by 9 at the latest. Does this sound right?

Also, what is the best way to get to/from Miami's port? Is there a Carvival shuttle?

oh snap you're going to be in trouble.....

that is a really close time. here are my suggestions

1) Get a later flight. Better safe then sorry

2) Self disembark. This will get you out of the boat and ready to go alot faster then trying to go find your luggage. We didn't do it when we were in Miami, but have done it every other time and gets us off the boat in 20-30 minutes.

3) Risk it. Not what i reccomend

You also have to take into account that the waters can be rough if you're traveling this time of year, and it's possible that the boat could get delayed. That's a sticky situation to get into.

Hope for the best and good luck

We will be disembarking from the Valor in Miami. The ship is scheduled to get into port at 8 am. We have an 11:30 am flight leaving out of Miami International.

The only good news I have to offer is that you're talking about a Sunday, and won't have to deal with the workday traffic situation that is so common between the port & Miami Int'l. Take some Rolaids with you and start them the night before, because your tummy is going to be rumbling with anxiety all Sunday morning concerning this flight. CCL strongly suggests in all its literature that later flights be arranged after debarkation. My best wishes to you for having a smooth transfer to the airport so that a wonderful vacation at sea won't be spoiled by an ugly situation with standby flights. Bon Voyage!!!

self-disembark could definitely help save you some time, but your still going to be cutting it VERY close.

Whenever I've been in a hurry to get to the MIA airport, I've elected to hop into a taxi (lined up just outside the baggage claim) even if CCL shuttle service was included in the price of my cruise. Reason being: The bus will not ldepart heading to the airport until it is COMPLETELY full. That means you might be able to be one of the first people off the ship, find your luggage and then be one of the first people on a bus headed to MIA, but the driver will come on & tell you that he will be waiting for it to fill. (and that also means he will have to load all the additional luggage for those still coming on) so you could be sitting on that bus anywhere from 5-10-30, maybe another 60 minutes before it actually departs. YIKES!!!

For me, it's worth paying another $18 or $20 to hop right into a cab and take off to the airport and be dropped off right at the ticketing level so you can immediately check in. (no waiting for the driver to unload all that luggage, and wait forall the the people on the bus to come off before you can finally get off yourself).

I actually try to do this both on embarkation, and disembarkation from the ship. Costs a bit more, Saves a LOT of time.

The above poster also brings up a good point. If there is any kind of "weather" in the area, your ship may be delayed coming back into Miami. Also . . . (and I've had this happen more than once), Customs will inevitably be searching the ship for someone who either didn't complete their paperwork properly or did not show up at their designated area that morning to clear customs. This will hold EVERYONE up from being able to disembark.

On the upside . . . . Carnival does acknowledge the return flight info you provided on your luggage tags and does have a system for allowing passengers with early flights to leave the ship earlier than those with later flights.

Still, if it were me . . . I'd try to get that return flight switched to a later time. I hate having to hurry off the ship I've been so anxious to get on.

As a Side note: The Miami luggage claim just off the ship is HUGE and although they've improved on their organization of bags, it still can take a very long time to find your bag. (be sure to put something distictive on your to make it easier to identify. (this will also help save time)

Hope everything works out for you.

Island Annie

We almost always have flights out of Miami at about 11:30-12:00 and we have never had a problem. We always have a shuttle, included in our package deal, that takes us to the airport. We've never taken our own luggage and have never had a problem with that either. I think you'll be fine. But if you can change your flight time it may relieve some stress for you.

Did exactly that last June when we got off the Valor. We did self assist and got off at 7:30AM. We took a cab, which is a lot faster. Some lady tried to get us in a van with 10 other people, we said no, found a single cab and we were at the airport by 8:15AM. Had coffee and boarded our AA flight at 11:30Am back to Chicago.

We are going on the Miracle in march '07 and have an 11:15AM flight out of Tampa.

You need to be organized, up early by the time the ship arrives in port, don't bring more than you can handle by yourself and no dilly dallying.

We have made early flights out of Miami - New Orleans - Vancouver and now trying Tampa.

We have also never had to encounter the ship coming in late or someone jumping overbaord during the week and making the ship late arriving in port.

Go for it - just be sure you have your act together. There is no wiggle room.

We are due back into Miami on the Triupmh on Jan. 6th. Our flight leaves from FLL at 10:37 am (AirTran changed our flight time on us... moved it up almost 40 minutes :mad:).

Do you think this is suicide? Or should be be ok? Our plan is to do the self-disembarkation and we have arranged our own airport transportation through a 3rd party company. Any input would be appreciated!!

Ryan :confused:

We are due back into Miami on the Triupmh on Jan. 6th. Our flight leaves from FLL at 10:37 am (AirTran changed our flight time on us... moved it up almost 40 minutes :mad:).

Do you think this is suicide? Or should be be ok? Our plan is to do the self-disembarkation and we have arranged our own airport transportation through a 3rd party company. Any input would be appreciated!!

Ryan :confused:

Call Air-Tran. If they have a later flight, they should put you on it at no extra charge to you since it was their change.

If you even want a chance at making it, you are going to have to self embark, my last Valor cruise from Miami, i did not even get off the ship until 10:30 and then played hell trying to get the bags, get thru customs and to the taxis, by the time we got to the airport it was about 12:30 and then you don't even what me to start on what a madhouse MIA was:eek:

that was another hour getting to the check in counter.

But the traffic wasn't bad getting to the airport.

Yikes... :eek:

I have called AirTran... they tell me that the next flight (which would leave around 12:15, and would be PERFECT) is full, and so they can't move us. Well, not full... just business class is left and they wouldn't move us. :(

rskalko: We just flew home from our cruise on Monday after thanksgiving on Airtran. Our flight was scheduled to leave Miami at 10:28a.m. We actually had no problems and flew out on standby on their 8:20a.m. flight because we were already at the gate. This was what I did to try to assure making the 10:28 flight.

Pack light so you can handle your bags. We were on a short cruise so we actually were able to carry on our bags. We each had 1 carry on and 1 backpack. We used the ships internet and checked in and printed off our boarding passes to avoid that line. We did the self disembarkation and were off the ship by 7:30. Grabbed a cab and straight to the airport. We were able to go right to security and avoid the check in since we did it on the ship and only had carry on's. The concorse that AirTran used was not very busy. We made it through security quickly. I realize that we traveled on Monday instead of a Sunday but remember it was the Monday after Thanksgiving.

We did arrive to the port on time and had no customs problems. This is the second cruise that we have had the self disembarkation go so smoothly. Also remember that airtran will let you fly standby on any flight that day for free if you do miss your flight. Just remember that if you are going to miss the flight and have already checked in to call them first. Even though the 12:15 flight is full doesn't mean that you won't make it on the flight on standby. I have made many standby flights that at first they say are full but people don't show so I am able to get on.

You should be fine, unless the ship is late. It would be wise to do self assist debarkation, and make sure you take a cab and not Carnival transportation.

Last spring coming off of Elation, I was at the airport by 9:00 a.m., at the gate by 9:15 and waited until 11:30 to leave, and that included time at the terminal to change my flight to an earlier one.

I say go for it! You can always fly out later if you miss the flight. We were on the Fascination 3/06, did carry on luggage only and were off the ship at 7am and at the FT Lauderdale airport by 8am waiting for our 2pm flight, and we waited and waited. There were no open seats on earlier flights and everyone says to book later so we did, and we waited and waited..lol..but it is safe to book later I know. Still I say go for it, I bet you make it! :p

I just returned from the Triumph this past Saturday from Miami, and even those who chose to self-disembark were delayed with getting off the ship. Something about a delay with immigration. The ship did not start calling those doing general disembarkation until around 10am. I was just happy I was local and drove to the port. I would have been stressed if I had a morning flight.

You SHOULD be okay... SHOULD being the key word. Half my cruises, I've gotten off the ship LATE, due to no fault of my own... Definitely do self assist, just in case. ANYTHING can happen with customs to hold things up... have a back up plan.

Do yourself a favor, get a later flight and chill, enjoy breakfast and dont let the last day of your wonderful adventure end in tension and trama

I always find the security lines slower and longer at FLL than MIA, plus FLL is 45 from the port, so I think your odds of making that flight are only so-so.

Try not to stress too much. Just remember that even if the later flights are sold out doesn't mean that if you miss your flight that they won't get you on a different one on standby. I've gotten on many standby flight even when the agent at the gate told me that the odds were really slim because they were booked.

Go to the dembarkation talk to see what time they think they will call for self disembarkation. Make sure you are up and ready to go about 15 minutes before they say. Order room service to grab a quick bite to eat or run up to the buffet quickly. Make sure if your in your room your door is open so you will hear the announcements. As soon as you hear the announcement grab your bags and take the stairs if the elevators are busy and get to the right deck. They told us that it would start at 6:45. We got up at 6. Got ready made sure the last minute things were packed got a quick breakfast from the buffet. When they made the announcement got our bags used the stairs and off the ship.

Try to relax. There is nothing you can do now. Hopefully things go smooth like they have for me twice.

That will be our plan for sure harv1631. We'll be up early and in the buffet (it opens at 6 right??) on disembarkation day... and waiting for the call. Thanks for the advice. All this talk about getting home is giving me serious pre-PCD!

Archived