Do you use a TA?

ryansmama

My TA (who does cruises only) gave me the exact same prices as Carnival has online. (I want to book the Glory for May 19). I was a bit surprised by this....thought they might get a bit of deal or bonus for me. How do they stay in business when people can just book so easily over the internet now? Oh - and this TA supposedly represents all cruise lines, so it wasn't just a Carnival thing.

How do you book your Carnival cruises? And do you get a 'deal' ever?

My TA (who does cruises only) gave me the exact same prices as Carnival has online. (I want to book the Glory for May 19). I was a bit surprised by this....thought they might get a bit of deal or bonus for me. How do they stay in business when people can just book so easily over the internet now? Oh - and this TA supposedly represents all cruise lines, so it wasn't just a Carnival thing.

Used a TA once a few years ago, was charged a non-refundable fee for using them, cruiseline cancelled the cruise, TA refunded all the money, kept the non-refundable fee, lost out on lots, and lots, of business, including the corporate account with the company I work for. Never used a TA since, I know my preferences, which can change from cruise to cruise, better than anyone...

We went through a TA thinking the same thing you did. When all is said and done, not sure that there was any difference. Will probably go through Carnival next time. Our TA was nice and answered questions, but nothing outstanding.

If you have a good T/A I would not change I have a very good PVP and I won't change. I like also I can do more with the carnival web page if I book with my PVP from carnival. For a cruise I go to the cruise line, for air I go to the airline.

I had a good friend that worked at AAA. I used them in my younger days for travel deals at the last minute. When she left AAA, I used them once more and after she told me the markups/fees, I never used a travel agent again. It wasn't the fees or markup, the internet was just becoming popular. I worked at a University/Hospital and it was easy to research/book my trips on my lunch hour. It's still a whole lot cheaper. I like being in control of every aspect of my trip. if something goes wrong I only have myself to blame, but to this date I've never had an issue.:D

I'm sure there are some TA's who go above and beyond, and I used one to book my last cruise. She did nothing more than call Carnival and book the cruise. I did all of the leg work myself. So, I decided after that, I would just find myself a good PVP and use them. At least that way, I can call Carnival at anytime to make changes or ask questions.

I guess it is hard for alot of travel agencies now that alot of people do their own travel planning via the internet.

I had a good friend that worked at AAA. I used them in my younger days for travel deals at the last minute. When she left AAA, I used them once more and after she told me the markups/fees, I never used a travel agent again. It wasn't the fees or markup, the internet was just becoming popular. I worked at a University/Hospital and it was easy to research/book my trips on my lunch hour. It's still a whole lot cheaper. I like being in control of every aspect of my trip. if something goes wrong I only have myself to blame, but to this date I've never had an issue.:D

are you saying that AAA was charging more than the cruiseline for the same exact product?

Could you explain what markups there were?

TIA

Bill

We used a TA for the 97 and 98 cruises. But since 200, we have a great PVP and we will be sticking with her until I die. She takes care of everything for us, she changed ships for us when my DW decided to go on a 5 day instead of a 7 day. She know what we like and what we do not like. When we book with her, she does everything and then asks for the CC #.

Just our thoughts.

hi everyone. came across this thread and just had to throw my .02 in:

when booking cruises i use my cruise only TA who is also someone i used to work with many years ago. guess it helps that i know her work ethic. if you're using a good TA that has relationships with these cruise and package companies they shouldn't have to charge a fee for use. the TA usually gets some sort of "back end" commission bonuses as well as their "up front" commission. what i like about using her to book is that i know that if there are any issues with the cruise line she'll do the leg work for me since she has more contacts like sales managers and directors. the big perk for me is that by continually booking through her i get cabin credits for rebooking and for referring my friends and family. and, like hdawson stated, the personal service and industry knowledge, etc ...

i know you cannot do it on this board, but it helps to talk to people (friends and family) to get good referrals.

what's a PVP?

thanks for your time,

Jeffrey

A PVP is what Carnival calls their "Personal Vacation Planners" that book directly with the cruise line.

Used several TAs for years, but found a good PVP and now use him, since I do all the leg work myself and don't have a need for a "middle man".

I haved used both TA and PVP and they are both good, but I ALWAYS get better pricing from a TA and since Carnival will not match pricing I save the $ to spend on my trip.

I also have never had a problem with my previous cruises.

:rolleyes:

We always use our a local TA. Their prices are unbeatable. We always book a "package" with them which includes air (they charter their own planes-it's filled with other cruisers), price of cruise (including port/taxes), and shuttle to and from the ship. All we have to do is tell them what we want and send the money. They take care of the rest. We've never had a problem. It's such a stress free way to travel. :D

Archived