I am so scared that I am going to get stung (stingrays)

CaddyB123

I don't believe there have been any reports from StingRay city. I was anxious the first time I went there, but I've been 3 times since and it's always wonderful. They are really beautiful, graceful, gentle creatures. I'm always careful about where my feet are when I'm moving around so I don't accidentally step on one.

I have been there a number of times and have never, ever, heard of anyone getting stung there, much less (dieing).

I've even accidently stepped on one or two.

The stingrays know you are there, which is why they are there - they are looking for some free food - begging actually - not a chance you are going to surprise one even accidently.

If you go with a reputable company (I recommend Ebanks Watersports at www.ebankswatersports.com) and you listen to the guides instructions before you get out of the boat and do exactly what they tell you to do, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. We went twice with this company and there are 100's of people that visit Stingray City daily and the only reports of anyone getting stung were the tour guides who handle them all the time. I have never heard of a tourist getting stung in Stingray City and I wasn't worried in the least (and I worry about everything, so trust me, you don't have to worry) Capt. Shawn is very experienced and makes you feel very comfortable and is very patient. You have to swallow your fear and do it, because it is an experience you will never forget.

First of all, you need to know "what happened" to Steve Irwin. He was swimming with giant Manta Rays, not stingrays. Big difference.

When we were there last month, we were told that the tourism business has plummeted. So, fewer crowds. Woo hoo.

These are the most docile creatures I've ever seen in the water. They are like cats that come looking for a hand out. They know who feeds them and seem to like people. It's amazing how gentile and tolerant they are. We each got to "hold" one and it just let us do anything to it.

Our guide picked up a tail and showed us the stinger. It's not something to be afraid of. I've even heard of guides who have put the stinger in their mouths to demonstrate how tame they are.

We were told that the only "sting" that occurred was about a year ago when some young kid tried to ride a stingray. The problem was the kid was holding on to the stingray's blow hole and it couldn't breath so it did what it could to get the kid off its back.

Don't worry, they are very docile. Thousands of people go there every week. Have you ever heard of an incident? Don't you think the media would jump all over it if there were?

Eldon, from Native Way sports put it well. When someone asked him, "Aren't you afraid of stingrays after Steve Irwin?" He responded, "Aren't you afraid to sail on a ship after the Titanic?"

I did Captain Marvin's in January and it was the highlight of my cruise. It was a very choppy day and I probably stood on the poor things a dozen times!! They reminded me of puppy dogs, because they would almost beg for the octupus. Too cute. You will see that they are friendly and gentle and they know what they are doing. They sought out the boat as soon as they heard us approaching they came to us! Besides, the whole steve irwin thing..it was a different type of sting ray in a place where they are not used to ongoing normal human interaction.

Remember, what Mark Twain said:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

good luck!

They can smell your fear.....BEWARE!

If you are still afraid, it's probably best for everyone in your group that you stay out of the water.

Fear and panic can make people scream and jump around, thereby creating more of an opportunity to startle the animals or step on them.

If you think you can get over it, just follow the directions your skipper and crew give you and take a deep breath as you slowly enter the water and stand calmly in one place, allowing plenty of time for you and the sting rays to get to know each other.

I hope you get to do it, becasue it is truly an unforgettable experience!

Oh...and bring an underwater camera with you for some AWESOME closeup pictures!

:)

First of all, you need to know "what happened" to Steve Irwin. He was swimming with giant Manta Rays, not stingrays. Big difference.

Not exactly, Manta Rays aren't stingrays (No stinger). It was a Bull Ray.

The only thing stingrays at the sandbar smell is the squid juice.

You would be missing out on a wonderful experience if you don't participate! You can opt to just observe by standing in the water without any squid. They tend to swim toward those individuals who are offering them food. Feed them with an open palm-that will keep your fingers out of the way of their feeding activity. The "stinger" is located where the body and tail connect. I don't think you'll have to worry about stepping on them, but if you scuff your feet along the sand as you walk, they will remain in motion....most of them already are in motion vying for their meal. If you have any other concerns or questions, ask the crew. They gave a very informative talk about the stingrays on the way out. Also, don't worry too much about screaming people....they tend to stand frozen in one place, afraid to move. The crew will help folks back to the boat if they become frightened. It really is a cool experience---Fear Not, CaddyB123 - do it and ENJOY!

no need to fear the rays. we did it last week & it was an awesome experience. they are very friendly & lovable--gentle as a kitten. don't miss out on such a great experience. you will be glad that you were in the water with these beautiful rays. i enjoyed every minute of it, wish i could do it again.

go with tour groups such as captain marvins, they will make sure you have an awesome experience. there groups are smaller & you get individual attention.

There is also another difference between the rays at GC to the ones in Australia... The ones at GC were probably almost all born into this situation and are used to the interaction with humans - remember the rays are not penned up in any way so if they don't like humans they just dont come to the sandbar which is the "meeting point" if you want...

The rays Steve E was out there filming are really wild and chances are they have never seen humans... The chances that this ray felt threathened because he couldn't "ID" Steve in his underwater world are bigger.

It has been said use a reputable outfit - not always the cruiseline since they have large groups, keep your eyes open and listen to the guides. That should make your experiance a special and a safe one.

We went to Stingray City on a RC shore excursion a few years ago. I was also a bit apprehensive beforehand. Once I got in the water with them I was fine. It was a fantastic experience, and one of the most memorable events on that trip (of which there were many). Just avoid stepping on them and you'll be fine. I highly highly recommend it!

As we were approaching the area, the guide on the boat who was instructing everyone how to use the snorkel equipment, etc. told us that if we wanted to locate the stingrays, just listen for the official stingray signal. The official signal is,"OH MY GOD! IT'S A STINGRAY!!!!"

It varies. We were on a sand bar that was about chest deep, but a few yards away it was deeper. The snorkeling-related shore excursions I've been on had life vests available - some required you to wear them, so nonswimming was not an issue. You just float and look. I'd be surprised if you were on a cruise ship shore excursion where they weren't at least available.

• 4 weeks later...
I really want to go and pet the rays, but I am afraid I will get stung and (die). That sounds ridiculous, but after what happened, I am just a bit afraid.

Have there been any reports?

Dont worry.The stingrays are as gentle as kittens.We went with Cpt Marvins and it was the highlite of the trip.

I will tell you when I first went into the water I looked down and saw them swimming to us and I jumped onto the back of a very nice man that was ahead of me in the water.Legs went right around him........Thank goodness he was friendly.....

When we got back on the boat going back to the ship we had a drink to our day....It really was a great day. Go you will Love it.......Ginger

:D

On the day we were there the water was knee to waist deep. Actually hard to stay under water to see the rays swimming.

These are very gentile creatures and there is 0% chance they are going to be agressive. Although I did get a kick out the the teen age girls that screamed when they got brushed by the soft skin of the stingray.:D

Dont worry.The stingrays are as gentle as kittens.We went with Cpt Marvins and it was the highlite of the trip.

I will tell you when I first went into the water I looked down and saw them swimming to us and I jumped onto the back of a very nice man that was ahead of me in the water.Legs went right around him........Thank goodness he was friendly.....

When we got back on the boat going back to the ship we had a drink to our day....It really was a great day. Go you will Love it.......Ginger

:D

:D LOL! Ginger, that is hysterical! Thanks for the laugh! :D

We are going to the Western Caribbean in March and I was a little worried about this as well. We are planning on doing the sting ray excursion in Grand Turks. Here is an MSNBC article I found regarding this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14800994/. I think if you are careful and follow what the guides say and don't panic things will be fine.

Archived