Tell me about the pier in Antigua

mandiecandie5

I'm planning to take this as a non-beach/non-sightseeing day and enjoy the ship. What is at the pier immediately off the ship? Anything worth strolling around for? Shopping? Thanks in advance for any comments! :)

PS-There is a total of 5 ships in port this day so that factored into our choice!

You can visit the near by Fruit market, a wide selection of fruits are available.

There is also a local Museum about three blocks from the Pier. The duty free shops are the basic you will see at most caribbean pier. For a faster way around town they is also a bicycle rental company that rents for around $15. You can keep the bikes all day,They are located at the Pier. There are a few churches with some historical background. Try these you might like it.

Oh my...please reconsider!

Antigua is soooo beautiful as the islands go. It is definitely a place I would never want to miss. There is little at the port itself. We hired a driver and he toured us throughout the island. There were at least 4 ships in port that day that I remember and we had no problems at all!! We met fantastic people and had a very memorable time, as well as taking some great "calendar worthy" pics....can'y believe I took them!

You can visit the near by Fruit market, a wide selection of fruits are available.

There is also a local Museum about three blocks from the Pier. The duty free shops are the basic you will see at most caribbean pier. For a faster way around town they is also a bicycle rental company that rents for around $15. You can keep the bikes all day,They are located at the Pier. There are a few churches with some historical background. Try these you might like it.

I first saw Antigua on a cruise ship and have done land vacations there many times since. I cannot imagine riding a biicycle around with the traffic in town!!! You have basic duty-free shopping steps from the pier but don't miss Redcliffe Quay...come of the ship, up one block, take a right one block and you will find some unusual things. The downtown is small enough to be manageble by foot. I would reconsider and see some of the island. The beaches are great (Darkwood, Half-moon, Long Bay). Not a beach person? The dockyard area (English and Falmouth Harbor) is outstanding with beautiful yachts, museums, bars and restaurants and about 30 minute ride. The people are very welcoming. Have a great day!

Archived