Dawn Princess - Emerald Deck question

cawhite

Hi everyone,

Our family of 4 is about to book a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Dawn Princess. We are considering an ocean view stateroom on the Emerald Deck. It appears that there is a Dance Floor on the Promenade deck DIRECTLY above us. Will this be a problem?

I'm sure on the nights before port, we will be going to bed at a "decent hour" (by midnight... or whatever time the shows end) to get up for the excursions on the following day.

Thanks for any input you have!

Carole

Can someone with actual experience in that location help cawhite? I know what it's like to need answers to cabin location questions and have gotten great advise here at CC!

cawhite:

If you give us an actual cabin number, someone might be better able to help (you don't need to say which voyage date). I don't have personal experience at that exact location, but I always avoid cabins under the dance floors and bandstands (as well as other noisy areas such as the theaters). I can't remember anyone complaining about the actual dance floor, but bandstand definately. I'm hoping you won't have a problem, but if you have an option, you might want to consider a move. Once you get onboard, if there is a problem it is unlikely you will be able to move. JMHO.

Thanks NorcalGuy - the stateroom we have on hold is E353. There are only quad Ocean View category staterooms currently available on the Emerald (2nd to lowest) and Plaza (lowest) passenger decks. It is on the starboard side... the furthest back / most mid-ship.

I read that people hear noise on the Plaza deck from the crew members' deck below, so we don't want that... and don't care for the lowest deck anyway. We would prefer higher than the Emerald deck, as well, but I don't think we're going to do a balcony this time around, as we're doing some other vacationing in 2007 (and prefer to save the $$ for that).

If you look at this deckplan in the link below (go to p. 2) you'll see the Emerald deck, and the Promenade deck (displayed to the left of the Emerald Deck).

http://www.enjoyparadise.be/replace/cruiseschepen/dekplannen/474.pdf

As you can see, E353 is directly below a dance floor on the Promenade deck. We could select a cabin that is more forward... but also prefer a mid-ship location if possible.

Just trying to balance the best of everything!

Thanks again.

Carole

It appears that you would be mnostly under the Promenade deck walkway and partly underneath the Wheelhouse Bar. That area is pretty quiet at night so I wouldn't worry about noise. One night they do a 50s night there but it usually is pretty quiet by midnight. We were on the Plaza deck last year and never heard anything from the crews' quarters below.

Thanks, TM, for the input. This helps. I have until tomorrow to decide if we want to finalize this stateroom.

I don't recall specifically where it was I read that the crew was noisy below the Plaza deck... I'm sure it was in someone's trip report.

It's been a few years since I worked on the DP but I'm fairly sure that your cabin is actually underneath the weather deck portion of the promeade.

Although the deck above your cabin is very popluar with so many passengers joining the ol' walkathon to nowhere, it's very quick at night so the sounds of heavy footsteps in the middle of the night shouldn't be a problem.

You may/will hear some noise in the wee hours when the ship enters ports. It all depends on the route you are going to be on. If you're traveling to Alaska, the gangways are located almost directly above you. If you are traveling elsewhere (caribbean, mexican riviera, etc) there will be a little bit of noise as the ships gangways are stowed on deck above you and there will be noise when they open the shell door on deck 5 below you and actually set-up the gangway. (The shell door is immediately aft of P349 is you look at the deck plans.)

On the bright side, the noise from gangways will only be a problem when you are starboard side to' on the deck.

I hope this is of some value to you in your decision.

Thanks hyperion - so you're saying we'd be better off on the port side of the ship? (Sorry... I didn't quite understand your 2nd to last sentence).

If that's the case, we'll select a stateroom on the OTHER side of the ship.

Oh... and it's a Mexican Riviera cruise (Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta).

Thanks for your help!

Carole

Thanks hyperion - so you're saying we'd be better off on the port side of the ship? (Sorry... I didn't quite understand your 2nd to last sentence).

If that's the case, we'll select a stateroom on the OTHER side of the ship.

Oh... and it's a Mexican Riviera cruise (Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta).

Thanks for your help!

Carole

Ok, I actually wondered if I was being too salty. I'll try to translate into regular english.:D

The noise from them setting up the gangways will be heard in that cabin only when the starboard side (right hand side of the ship when facing the front) is beside the dock.

The side of the ship that faces the dock will vary throughout your cruise from port to the next. (Cabo is a tender port so no problem there.)

So basically, the cabin on the opposite side of the ship to yours (E350) will have the same problems but only when the port side of the ship is facing the dock when they tie up.

If you were to get a cabin on either side of the ship that was one or two cabins closer to the front of the ship, than the one you originally mentioned, the noise problems from the gangways won't be a problem.

Do bear in mind though that the noise from the gangway being set-up would last for about 30-45 minutes and would only happen when they are tying-up to the dock.

Other than the noise from the gangway being set-up, it's a pretty handy location due to it's proximity to the gangways, the tender embarkation, the atrium lounge, lifts, pursers desk...

Is that any clearer???

As you can see, E353 is directly below a dance floor on the Promenade deck. We could select a cabin that is more forward... but also prefer a mid-ship location if possible.

Actually cawhite I don't see you as being directly under the "dance floor", which is that circle area with the piano. Most of your cabin is under the promanade walkway, with a tiny portion under the edge of the "lounge" sitting area. I would expect a lot noise coming from there. I think you are in good shape and don't need to worry. Like other posters have said, the majority of any noise will come from the early morning joggers overhead, which may, or may not, bother you depending on when you rise in the am. Gangway noise would be occasional. Personally, I could deal with all of these issues (but not the dance floor), and I'm rather noise sensitive.

Bon Voyage!!

Thanks everyone,

Sounds like we'll be OK! Our DP cabin is on hold until today, so we have to decide for certain if we want to lock in this cruise.

We have also been considering the HAL Oosterdam (Also leaves out of our home port, on the same weekend, with the same itinerary. My parents, who are big HAL enthusiasts, may be coming along.). I flip flop daily as to which ship to take (my parents like Princess too, but prefer HAL). Haven't even looked at staterooms on HAL as I have been strongly leaning toward the DP. My only nagging concern about the Dawn Princess is her age and associated condition. If anyone can alleviate my concerns on that, please do so!

I'll let everyone know our final decision.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Carole

Hi everyone,

Our family of 4 is about to book a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Dawn Princess. We are considering an ocean view stateroom on the Emerald Deck. It appears that there is a Dance Floor on the Promenade deck DIRECTLY above us. Will this be a problem?

I'm sure on the nights before port, we will be going to bed at a "decent hour" (by midnight... or whatever time the shows end) to get up for the excursions on the following day.

Thanks for any input you have!

Carole

I have been in E351. The ONLY problem were the few selfish persons who insist on going on a 5-530am jog each morning. Other than that I consider the location perfect. john

Mr. Green - Uh-oh... so the noise from the jogging was pretty loud... loud enough to wake you up? We wouldn't want that every day.

I assume we'd get up around 6:30 on port days... but not until 8 or 8:30 on the 3 sea days!

Carole

Mr. Green - Uh-oh... so the noise from the jogging was pretty loud... loud enough to wake you up? We wouldn't want that every day.

I assume we'd get up around 6:30 on port days... but not until 8 or 8:30 on the 3 sea days!

Carole

Yes it does wake you up, as I recall a person can't jog until 8.30am. I complained and the jogging ceased. john

Whew.... if there's a no jogging before 8:30 rule, we'll be fine.

And we've definitely decided on the Dawn Princess... booking today.

We may move up a couple of cabins, as I just realized E353 is right next to the elevators. Mr. Green.... do you remember if you can see the elevators from this stateroom (since you were in the one next door) or are the elevators actually tucked away a bit?

Thanks!

Carole

The Dawn seems to be in great condition - I wouldn't worry about her age, as all the problems should have been worked out several years ago.

There should be no early jogging - there is a sign forbidding it early on the Promenade Deck - don't remember if it says 8:30 or 9:00.

The only problem that we have ever had being near an elevator is people talking going back to their rooms, but that could happen in most hallways. We are on the starboard side - away from the dockside at PV, towards it at Mazatlan and Acapulco (generally the shadier side). Tendering seems to take place from the port side.

Whew.... if there's a no jogging before 8:30 rule, we'll be fine.

And we've definitely decided on the Dawn Princess... booking today.

We may move up a couple of cabins, as I just realized E353 is right next to the elevators. Mr. Green.... do you remember if you can see the elevators from this stateroom (since you were in the one next door) or are the elevators actually tucked away a bit?

Thanks!

Carole

No problem with elevator. john

Archived