Carnival Spirit Excursions - Ready!

jspirit

Noticed today that the July prices are out and excursions are ready to be booked!

Please comment if you are familiar with any of these excursions:

1. Sitka: Sea Life and Otter Quest . 3 hrs. $ 117.00

2. Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest: 5.25 hrs. $ 136.00

3. Skagway: White Pass and Yukon Railway 3 hrs. $99.00

4. Ketchikan : Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer 4.25 hrs. $ 144.00

I am also wondering if these trips are as crowded as the ship's excursions in Europe. I was thinking that maybe since these vessels have limited capacity, the tours might be limited to a smaller group. Do we stlill have to follow a tour guide around with a big "lollypop stick" and wear number stickers? Or, are these groups smaller and less chaotic?

Please... help!!!

( big ship)

Does that mean that you have read any reviews on these particular choices?

Also, does anybody know if the time of day makes a difference in the amt. of wildlife you might see? I am thinking of taking the afternoon times so that we don't have to wake up too early and rush. Any comments?

I have read reviews of the Sea Otter trip and the Misty Fjords trip. Good reviews on both. I'll try to find them and post their link.

I did just come across the thread for last year's shore excursion prices:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427837

Here's the 2006 prices for the trips I asked about in October:

Ketchikan----Misty Fjords &Wilderness Explorer-$144

Sagway---Whitepass &Yukon Railway-$104

Sitka----Seaotter &Wildlife quest-$119

Looks like the WPYR came down $5! And the Seaotter trip only went up a couple bucks. I'm pleasantly surprised!

I'll post the links to the reviews when I find them.

Thanks for the info! Also, the White Pass also came down a few dollars!

I am waiting a little bit for the Canadian dollar to come back up before I book. Just reading more about them makes me so excited to take this vacation!!!

Do you think the Ketchikan Wilderness Explorer is almost as good as taking one of those flight tours? I really do not want to get on any planes; learned my lesson in the Grand Canyon!

It would be so great if you could find those reviews.

Regarding the Juneau Whale watch... I was wondering if Carnival has much more than 40 people on each boat. It is reasurring to book through the cruise line and there is no penalty for cancellation. It also includes Mendenhall so we don't have to find the shuttle . Have you read any comparison on the two? ( Carnival vs Capt. Larry)

This is sooo much funnn!

LOL! We were posting at the same time!!

You are right - this IS fun! I am forever grateful that you posted that the excursions were open! THANKS!!!!

Personally, I think the Ketchikan boat excursion is better because I am scared to death of those little planes. I just reread some of the reviews and it sounds like a very nice trip. I wish it was timed a bit different though - I'd like more time to walk around Ketchikan. But, I've booked it because I've heard so many great things about Misty Fjords. In case I never make it back, I want to be sure to experience it this time.

Capt Larry seems to be very ethical, above board, and customer oriented. I have no doubt that if something happens and we don't make Juneau, we'll get refunds. I'm just paying them the extra few bucks to be dropped off at Mendenhall. You get a shuttle pass back, too, so it will be an easy trip. I think that Carnival takes many more people than Capt Larry if I remember what I've read. I'll have to see if I can find any 'official' comparisons. We booked the first trip of the day - 1, because Capt Larry is currently scheduled to take that boat out, and 2, so that we have the rest of the day to do whatever we want without having to worry about being somewhere at a certain time.

I'll be anxious to hear what you book. :)

I just took a quick look and came across this comparison thread for Capt Larry vs Carnival excursion. It's a couple seasons old but still an interesting thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=192957&highlight=Capt+Larry+Carnival+whale+watch

Capt Larry is just such an Alaskan legend that I can't wait to go out on his boat. But, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either choice.

Have a great weekend. (I guess it's not really the weekend yet...but I'm playing hooky tomorrow!)

I booked some excursions for the May 16 Spirit cruise but I notice the Port excursions including the ship to airport transfers are only able to be "viewed" and not added. Also the same is true of a Carnival cruise we're taking in Jan. to the Carib. Does Carnival ever let you "add" airport transfers online or do they have to be booked over the phone thru Carnival. In the past I've always got my own transfers so never noticed when Carnival activates their online "add" feature......howboutit?

Hey, ronnyboy, are you talking about the port excursions/transfers at the end of the cruise? I think I read somewhere that those can only be booked on the ship. Round-trip transfers are available anytime through your TA or Carnival, I believe.

I taking a pre-cruise tour through Carnival and am hoping that we are given the Portage Glacier tour as an option PRE cruise (we're doing the Southbound route). Everywhere I've seen reference to it, it's been in relation to post-cruise availability. :(

Hi, Beach 4 Me, Yes I'm talking about the debark transfer from Whittier to Ank. Airport. I'll be heading there to hook up with my hotel shuttle for my night in Ank. then my return to Hertz the next day for my SUV rental to take us to Denali. There are quite a few excursions listed for Whittier including transfer only to the airport but they are still "view" only and not "add". I was just wondering if they ever let us add them online,,,I'll probably call Carnival or just get them on board during the cruise.

We did the Carnival SeaLife quest in Sitka and really enjoyed it. We Kayaked in Ketchikan this was great fun also but the most unbelievable excursion was Helicopter to Dogcamp and Dogsledding on the Glacier in Juneau. We ranged in ages of 8 to 70 years old and we ALL voted this the BEST.

So you enjoyed the sealife and Otter Quest in Sitka through carnival! That's good to hear. You didn't find it too crowded to get a good view?

Did they make you feel like cattle, like on some other tours I have read about? Did you see lots of wildlife?

We did see lots of wildlife. The captain was very good at pointing it out and teaching us about the different animals habits etc. There was plenty of room on the boat. We were able to move all around from side to side and deck to deck. There were two decks. We were able to get great pictures with the captain manuevering the boat to get the best shots. Of course it is nature so everyones experience is different but they really did a good job.

Archived